Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11,721

Comparisons

Jump to:

Mag SATA DVDRs
Mag 537 vs CM-7000PAL & Other HD DVRs

Mag SATA DVDRs

Only difference between the three newest models, the 53x Series, is HDD capacity... same new FW, same new tuner, same new manual, etc. All are essentially updates of the 515. Below are the differences between all the SATA-based models, 2160A, 513, 515 and 53x, which are upgrades to the original PATA-based models, 3575, 3576, 2080 and 2160.

Wish Feature2160A 513 515-53x
ADD AUTO-TITLE FOR TIMER RECORDINGS (PRE-TITLING)   
No*No*YES. A third option added to the timer "Program Change" menu. As an example, after setting a program for "CSI," click on that program in the timer list and select "Edit Title Name" option, then enter "CSI" in the same cell-phone-texting method we title recordings now. "CSI" then gets transferred to the 1st line of that show's HDD Title (every recorded instance) instead of the previous generic date/time info. Now, with a show name, you can start catching up on your CSI episodes by finding the first "CSI" and not giving a 2nd thought to date and time! To me, this is a certified BFD!
Note: So as not to mislead, remember that this title can only be seen when you highlight an index pic, just as now. You won't magically see a list of title names all at once.. that's our next Wish!
#1ADD "DAY" TO GENERIC TITLENo*No*YES. Now includes the day-of-week (DOW) each title was recorded on to help identify your favorite shows. This is esp. important for M-F series, like Soaps, which you can now Auto-Title "Soaps" as described above, but the DOW will help you identify the specific day's show you last watched or need to watch (something my wife never forgets).
#5LARGER HDD CAPACITY (GB)160320515 = 500GB... 533 = 320GB... 535 = 500GB... 537 = 1000GB (1TB)
N/ANUMBER OF HDD TITLES600*600*515=600, 53x=999
#10BETTER REMOTE               CONTROLNoNoA completely new remote, NC003UD. Three major corrections still needed: (1) Display and Menu buttons should be switched back to same as 2160/2160A/513 remotes, which had Display below arrows, not Menu. Also, Menu button should be named "Setup" like those earlier remotes. (2) CH+/- and Skip/Replay rocker buttons should be narrower so Play/Pause/Stop buttons can fit between them and other bottom buttons can be raised up (too close to bottom now). (3) It's too thick, should be thinner so it's easier to handle for playback and editing. A better size & shape is the Philips 7-Device Universal Remote SRP510xWM/17 Series (5107 for 2012), $10-13 at Walmart.
#21DELETE "EMPTY TITLE" ON DVDsNo*No*YES, but only changed to "Empty SPACE." Prob. thought we didn't like the word "Title" cuz it might be technically impossible to get rid of SOME indication of space remaining on DVD discs since it represents the "Reserved Fragment" in the +VR Standard. However, if it's tech. possible, we'd still like DVDs to show NO indication of empty space.. just actual recorded titles like most other video-mode recorders.
#31DELETE AUTO PREVIEW ON END-CUTSNo***YES
#32DELETE DOUBLE DIALOGSNo*No*YES
#36LONGER POWER BACKUP****YES. Now at least 1 HOUR. Genetides got "nearly 2 hours" with Auto Clock OFF, and rmacdona got 60 hours with Auto Clock set for a MANUAL channel!
#37ADD TIMER PROGRAM SKIPNo*No*YES. Now has a new "SKIP" column at far left in the main "Timer Programming" menu, as shown here. That will show a checkmark if you set a timer to Skip next occurrence. In each timer program menu, the SKIP option is in top left position, defaulted to OFF. After setting a program, you can open a timer's Program Change menu and skip that program by arrowing left to the SKIP column, then arrow up/dn to change SKIP to ON. That puts a checkmark in the 1st column of the timer list so you can ID programs that are to be Skipped. Reverts to normal active program (Skip OFF or no checkmark) after that program is skipped once. You can set the checkmark again if you want to skip that program again.
N/A    SET AUTO CLOCK DEFAULT TO "OFF"No***YES. Eliminates many problems caused before by bad time-signal data. People didn't even know that Auto Clock was ON as default, they just knew things went "bad" or froze up after a short time. Here's "The 11:57 Procedure" for finding and CONFIRMING a good Auto Clock time signal for any PhilMag unit.
N/A*FW FIXES**YES*YESWOW! The 2160A and 513 can now be made to operate like a 515 with the SuperFW Update described here.
*No on early-513's w/718 FW, Yes on late-513's w/72A FW.

**30-sec power backup w/Auto Clock OFF, 2+ min. w/Auto Clock ON or MANUAL.

Go back to List. ...... Go to main list of help files.

Mag 537 vs CM-7000PAL & Other HD DVRs

One user's comparison  of his new std def (SD) Mag 537 and his high-def (HD) CM7000PAL DVR.

Here's a chart  comparing the std-def (SD) Mag DVDRs and some standalone high-def (HD) DVRs.

Go back to List. ...... Go to main list of help files.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Really nice that Funai did this changes, hoping next version has more of the wishlist, but this is mostly a proof of your hard work wajo, your time and dedication have given the community a great spot to understand and discuss the recorder on the market, Thanks for all you done.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
That new MDR515H/F7 is sooooo very, very tempting! That I just put one in my Walmart cart right away, but I think I'll maybe wait a week or two and see if they drop it down closer to $250. But if it did indeed have a firmware that for sure supported up to a 1GB drive, then I would jump on right now it even at it's current price!

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
And lets not forget to give real big thanks to 234 for listening to us, and passing along our suggestions throughout Funai to those who can approve and make the changes and getting some of them implemented so relatively fast in a new model!

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11,725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla /forum/post/19423683

And lets not forget to give real big thanks to 234 for listening to us, and passing along our suggestions throughout Funai to those who can approve and make the changes and getting some of them implemented so relatively fast in a new model!

Yes, 234 has been "on the job" since March asking questions on the Wish List, relaying the info to Funai, and pressing HQ for our most-needed product enhancements.

All this despite our language, business and cultural differences.

In fact, I just recently read that the Japanese language doesn't have English "articles" (the, a, an, etc.) and no letter "l" (el) or "l" sound, but all my answers to his questions have been loaded with them! 234 deserves his first "gold star" for his dedication to understanding our English language!

He deserves another, bigger gold star for being an excellent representative of Funai and his dedication to making their recorders better by bringing user experience to the forefront of their development process.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
Praise goes to both 234 for listening to us and Funai for listening to 234. They don't pay 234 enough money. The new product is amazing to me mainly because it shows that even if you have a virtual monopoly on a product you can still respond to consumer feedback. Well done.

I'm not going to run out and buy one today. I would like to see more items crossed off the wish list first. When I know that items I would like to have are not going to happen (like internet access for at least the time and updates, or DVD-RAM), then I can make a more informed decision. When I know waiting won't help, then I will stop waiting and buy.

Political commercials: thank God for the skip button.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO-Zman /forum/post/19423254

Holy Smokes!!! Over a day and no posts???
(except this worthless one
)

I guess all problems worldwide are solved ... let's hope election day fixes everything else

Z

Looks like Wajo was just waiting until there was something worthwhile to post! To be honest, the 513, except for the HDD increased size, seemed like,"Why bother?" But this looks really good to me. Reason? My mother(81) can't dig out the recorded programs to play, since no names are on the thumbnails, only date & time recorded. If she could read titles like "Jeannie", "Bewitched", "Bachelor Father", etc, she might get a lot more use out of it.

Wajo's right- that *IS* a BFD.

Let's hope the new remote is more durable than the old one too.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Dear everyone in this thread,

I appreciate very much of your warm description.

I am very grad that we can launch this item into US market.

As wajo said. it is completely our first "AVS model".

I studied his wish list and found many point we should modify.

Our engineer was also kind to listen to me well and makes many modification as much as possible in this limited term.

I know that it is not perfect product for you as seen from many remained wish in wish list. (@[email protected])

If we can have more opportunity to launch next model, we are going to grant more.

In spite of my English skill, many of thread people could give kind advice.

Even firmware bug issue, I could receive report and chance to recover it.

I cannot find enough word to express my appreciate.

Instead of word, we continue trying to provide better products in reasonable cost so that US people can enjoy better digital world as much as possible.

I appreciate if you could support me and Funai product as heretofore.

m(_ _)m 234

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234 /forum/post/19427111

we continue trying to provide better products in reasonable cost so that US people can enjoy better digital world as much as possible.

Why aren't these recorders sold in Canada

·
Registered
479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/19423540

MDR515H/F7 ... First Mag HDD DVDR with "Wish-List" Improvements

Manual . . . $298 at Walmart

The 515 is an upgraded version of the 513 and 2160A, and the first Mag hard-disk-drive (HDD) model with specific improvements based on our Wish List ... Funai is actually paying attention to us!

The 515's basic design began in 2007 with the award-winning Philips 3575 for which Funai was the manufacturer. At that time, it was the first and only HDD DVDR created for the U.S. digital transition.

From there, the series progressed to Mag 2080 > Philips 3576 > Mag 2160 > Mag 2160A > Mag 513 > Mag 515. These are the only HDD DVDRs ever built specifically for the digital age in the North American TV market.

Basic features of the 515 include:
  • 500GB HDD.
  • DVD burner.
  • NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuners for antenna or cable TV.
  • 36 timer-rec programs.
  • DV input.
  • 6-hour autorecord buffer.
  • Pause live TV & Rewind Live TV in buffer.
  • Chase play a recording in progress.
  • Simultaneous play/record.
  • Coax digital audio out.
  • 1080p HDMI upconvert.
  • Amplified coax passthru of SDTV and HDTV signals.
  • Several long-awaited improvements, as listed below:
Feature2160A513515
HDD CAPACITY (GB)160320500
"DAY" ADDED TO GENERIC TITLENoNoYES - Now includes the day-of-week each title was recorded on, which helps identify which of your favorite shows it is... but the best is NEXT item!
AUTO-TITLE FOR TIMER RECORDINGSNoNoYES - OUR #1 WISH! They added a third option to the timer "Program Change" menu. As an example, after setting a program for "CSI," click on that program in the timer list and select "Edit Title Name" option, then enter "CSI" in the same manner we title recordings now. "CSI" then gets transferred to the 1st line of that show's HDD Title (every recorded instance) instead of the previous generic date/time info. Now, with a show name, you can start catching up on your CSI episodes by going to the first "CSI" you see and not give a 2nd thought to date and time! To me, this is a certified BFD!
TIMER PROGRAM SKIPNoNoYES - Now has a "skip-one-time" option in the Timer Programming list/menu. "SKIP" is 1st item, which you can change for any program to a checkmark by arrowing up/dn, which indicates Skip is ON. Reverts to normal active program (Skip OFF or no checkmark) after that program is skipped once. You can set the checkmark again if you want to skip that program again.
REMOTE CONTROLSmall buttons, 11 of 47 non-square, odd layoutSmall buttons, 11 of 47 non-square, odd layoutMUCH BETTER - New remote NC003UD. 29 of 47 buttons non-square. Same rect. shape & size but larger buttons arranged better and spread out more over the available surface area, e.g., only 3 # buttons across in same space as 4 before, so most top buttons are now rectangular and ~2X larger. CH+/- and Skip/Replay buttons are now large rockers.
AUTO CLOCK DEFAULTONOFFOFF - Eliminates many problems caused before by bad time-signal data. People didn't even know that Auto Clock was ON as default, they just knew things went "bad" or froze up after a short time. Here's "The 11:57 Procedure" you can use to test YOUR unit for a good Auto Clock time signal.
UNWANTED "EMPTY TITLE" ON DVDsYesYesChanged to "Empty Space." I believe they can't get rid of SOME indication of space remaining on DVD discs since it represents the "Reserved Fragment" in the +VR Standard? Dunno for sure.
UNNECESSARY DOUBLE "ARE YOU SURE" MENU DIALOGSYesYesNo
CONFUSING AUTO PREVIEW ON END-CUTSYesYesNo
FW BUGYesNoNo
POWER BACKUP30s-2m*30s-2m*1 HOUR
*30-sec power backup w/Auto Clock OFF, 2+ min. w/Auto Clock ON or MANUAL.

Nice
Guess I have to put my 2160A on Ebay to trade in for the 515 now

·
Registered
85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye /forum/post/19427689

Why aren't these recorders sold in Canada

I could be wrong, but I've been told there are also CRTC issues in Canada that prevent selling a DVD recorder with a hard drive. I'm fortunate to live on the border within 20 minutes of a Walmart so I was able to buy a couple of the Polaroids when they came out and now a 2160 - just waiting for the next opportunity to cross the border for the 515. Note of interest to Canadians - you can order from a U.S. Walmart via "ship to store" and then pick it up at the U.S. store but Walmart will not accept a credit card with a Canadian address. You have to go to Walmart first and buy a "gift card" and then use it to order. So it's 2 trips to the store to make your purchase.

Grant

·
Registered
811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/19423540

MDR515H/F7 ... First Mag HDD DVDR with "Wish-List" Improvements

Manual . . . $298 at Walmart

The 515 is an upgraded version of the 513 and 2160A, and the first Mag hard-disk-drive (HDD) model with specific improvements based on our Wish List ... Funai is actually paying attention to us!

The 515's basic design began in 2007 with the award-winning Philips 3575 for which Funai was the manufacturer. At that time, it was the first and only HDD DVDR created for the U.S. digital transition.

From there, the series progressed to Mag 2080 > Philips 3576 > Mag 2160 > Mag 2160A > Mag 513 > Mag 515. These are the only HDD DVDRs ever built specifically for the digital age in the North American TV market.

Basic features of the 515 include:
  • 500GB HDD.
  • DVD burner.
  • NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuners for antenna or cable TV.
  • 36 timer-rec programs.
  • DV input.
  • 6-hour autorecord buffer.
  • Pause live TV & Rewind Live TV in buffer.
  • Chase play a recording in progress.
  • Simultaneous play/record.
  • Coax digital audio out.
  • 1080p HDMI upconvert.
  • Amplified coax passthru of SDTV and HDTV signals.
  • Several long-awaited improvements, as listed below:
Feature2160A513515
HDD CAPACITY (GB)160320500
"DAY" ADDED TO GENERIC TITLENoNoYES - Now includes the day-of-week each title was recorded on, which helps identify which of your favorite shows it is... but the best is NEXT item!
AUTO-TITLE FOR TIMER RECORDINGSNoNoYES - OUR #1 WISH! They added a third option to the timer "Program Change" menu. As an example, after setting a program for "CSI," click on that program in the timer list and select "Edit Title Name" option, then enter "CSI" in the same manner we title recordings now. "CSI" then gets transferred to the 1st line of that show's HDD Title (every recorded instance) instead of the previous generic date/time info. Now, with a show name, you can start catching up on your CSI episodes by going to the first "CSI" you see and not give a 2nd thought to date and time! To me, this is a certified BFD!
TIMER PROGRAM SKIPNoNoYES - Now has a "skip-one-time" option in the Timer Programming list/menu. "SKIP" is 1st item, which you can change for any program to a checkmark by arrowing up/dn, which indicates Skip is ON. Reverts to normal active program (Skip OFF or no checkmark) after that program is skipped once. You can set the checkmark again if you want to skip that program again.
REMOTE CONTROLSmall buttons, 11 of 47 non-square, odd layoutSmall buttons, 11 of 47 non-square, odd layoutMUCH BETTER - New remote NC003UD. 29 of 47 buttons non-square. Same rect. shape & size but larger buttons arranged better and spread out more over the available surface area, e.g., only 3 # buttons across in same space as 4 before, so most top buttons are now rectangular and ~2X larger. CH+/- and Skip/Replay buttons are now large rockers.
AUTO CLOCK DEFAULTONOFFOFF - Eliminates many problems caused before by bad time-signal data. People didn't even know that Auto Clock was ON as default, they just knew things went "bad" or froze up after a short time. Here's "The 11:57 Procedure" you can use to test YOUR unit for a good Auto Clock time signal.
UNWANTED "EMPTY TITLE" ON DVDsYesYesChanged to "Empty Space." I believe they can't get rid of SOME indication of space remaining on DVD discs since it represents the "Reserved Fragment" in the +VR Standard? Dunno for sure.
UNNECESSARY DOUBLE "ARE YOU SURE" MENU DIALOGSYesYesNo
CONFUSING AUTO PREVIEW ON END-CUTSYesYesNo
FW BUGYesNoNo
POWER BACKUP30s-2m*30s-2m*1 HOUR
*30-sec power backup w/Auto Clock OFF, 2+ min. w/Auto Clock ON or MANUAL.

WOW! I haven't stopped by in a while due to other issues at home. Today I wanted to stop by to say that I finally pulled that HHD out of my TiVo. Unfortunately, it's a PATA drive and only 80GB,which isn't worth the hassle to add to my 3576. But the hell with it...I can't believe what I just read here! A new Magnavox with a 500GB HDD and all those other "Wish List" features! Santa came early this year! I think I found what I'm putting on my Christmas list!

This really has started my day off good. I glad to see Wajo and everyone else is doing well.

Ghpr13

·
Registered
8,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsoo /forum/post/19429004

I could be wrong, but I've been told there are also CRTC issues in Canada that prevent selling a DVD recorder with a hard drive. I'm fortunate to live on the border within 20 minutes of a Walmart so I was able to buy a couple of the Polaroids when they came out and now a 2160 - just waiting for the next opportunity to cross the border for the 515. Note of interest to Canadians - you can order from a U.S. Walmart via "ship to store" and then pick it up at the U.S. store but Walmart will not accept a credit card with a Canadian address. You have to go to Walmart first and buy a "gift card" and then use it to order. So it's 2 trips to the store to make your purchase.

Grant

It might be worth it to open a PayPal account. I don't think there is a border problem if you pay that way since it's always paid before you get there. But I've never tried it.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/19429388

It might be worth it to open a PayPal account. I don't think there is a border problem if you pay that way since it's always paid before you get there. But I've never tried it.

Thanks for the suggestion. In fact, I had tried that but Walmart wouldn't accept Paypal from an account with an outside of U.S. connection. Go figure.

Grant

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2160A will respond to the 515 remote? In other words if you have a 2160A already will you have to separate it from a 515 to avoid control issues?

11721 - 11740 of 28073 Posts