AVS Forum banner

12201 - 12220 of 28067 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericole /forum/post/19595933

So, we watched Fringe last night that we recorded the night before - it was crappy looking. Dark, muddled, etc. Of course, no CC coming through at all. We bought a brand new Panasonic Viera plasma about 2 weeks ago. I just hooked up this DVR to it via HDMI.

Today I was checking all of the settings to see if something was wrong to make such a bad picture. I noticed, by accident, that when watching a show via the DVR's built-in digital tuner that the picture was about HALF as bright and brilliant as it was to watch the show directly with the HDTV's built-in digital tuner. It totally matched how bad the recorded Fringe show looked.

It's as if, now that an HDTV is in the mix (vs old CRT) that the DVR doesn't know what to do. I've watched DVDs that I made previously on the same DVR and they look fine on the TV. But stuff I watched directly, or stuff I tried to record, from OTA digital TV today - it all was dark and bad looking.

Any idea what is going on???

thanks

Had a very similar experience with my 40" Sumsung LCD tv and my 3575 when I first hooked up the HDMI cable. The picture was very dark with washed out colors during dark scenes, although not so bad during lighter ones. No amount of tweaking the tv settings made a significant difference.

So I basically left it connected via HDMI but watched through the also connected component video cable--a much better picture. Sometime later (months?) I happened to view the DVR output through the HDMI connection again and it had dramically improved! So much so it's my preferred connection for viewing. If I did something to cause this I can't tell you what it was, and I realize "give it time" isn't a very good trouble shooting approach, but you're probably going to have to view via composite or component (better) cables until you (or we) figure something out.

There were no issues like this when I hooked up my 2160a to the Sumsung via HDMI.

edit. BTW neither HDMI or component video will support CC, you'll need to view via composite connection if you want that function

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/18790777

All my Magnavox and Philips recorders, whether they are HDD/DVD recorders, DVD recorders or VHS/DVD combo recorders, may freely swap unfinalized DVDs as long as all the recorders have Make Recordings Compatible set to "ON." ...

Can anyone tell me if a Magnavox ZV457MG9 or ZV427MG9 VHS/DVR can be controlled with a 2160a or 3576 remote? To what extent?

Similarly, how about a Toshiba DVR620?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSam /forum/post/19599887

Can anyone tell me if a Magnavox ZV457MG9 or ZV427MG9 VHS/DVR can be controlled with a 2160a or 3576 remote? To what extent?

Similarly, how about a Toshiba DVR620?

Thanks!

Magnavox, Sylvania and PYE remotes interchange. Philips and Toshiba remotes don't interchange with other brands or each other.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/19599967

Magnavox, Sylvania and PYE remotes interchange. Philips and Toshiba remotes don't interchange with other brands or each other.

Also, SV2000 (Walmart) and Presidian (Radio Shack) remotes interchange.

Rusty

·
Registered
72 Posts
THanks for the CC note - the whole CC thing regarding digital TV, HDTV, etc is very annoying!!!

On the component video thing - that's what I had at first b/c I didn't have any HDMI cables. I'm pretty sure I watched it with those - but since I had no issues with the PQ until the HDMI cable, can't be sure!
I thought about hooking those back up and trying - just haven't had a chance yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss /forum/post/19598485

I had similar results with my 1080p Samsung plazma. I tried everything mentioned in this thread with no improvement, everything looking very dark. I finally set the output resolution to 1080p. still not as good as tv's tuner, but much, much better! to change the output resolution, press the HDMI button on the remote, each time you press the resolution changes.

I think I went through all of the HDMI output settings - even though non-supported ones for the TV aren't supposed to show up. As I recall, the picture looked basically the same on each setting. I thought that was weird. I can try again though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
During the weekend, I discovered that my 2160A (Mag2) will also restart from Standby status, after a normal Power Off using Standby-ON button. This occurs only after waiting a sufficient amount of time after the Power Off. Numerous trials substantiate that my previous conclusion is incomplete. I thought it was necessary to do Soft Reset in every case after a Power Off.

In most cases, if the Power Off using Standby-ON is normal, the Standby-ON will work, but only after waiting an allotted time. I believe the allotted time has to be about an hour, ideally several hours, but I'm not sure what the minimum time is.

It is necessary to do Soft Reset in every case after a freeze, and after waiting an allotted time.

·
Registered
502 Posts
As I mentioned in the second paragraph of my 11/30 post, from my experience, you need to leave the machine off for about 30 minutes beforing turning back on after using the machine.

These machines do not work like a light switch where you can turn it off and on as quickly as you want. The machines need time to power/spin down and sometimes cool off a little before being powered back up.

·
Registered
502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericole /forum/post/19595933

So, we watched Fringe last night that we recorded the night before - it was crappy looking. Dark, muddled, etc. Of course, no CC coming through at all. We bought a brand new Panasonic Viera plasma about 2 weeks ago. I just hooked up this DVR to it via HDMI.

Today I was checking all of the settings to see if something was wrong to make such a bad picture. I noticed, by accident, that when watching a show via the DVR's built-in digital tuner that the picture was about HALF as bright and brilliant as it was to watch the show directly with the HDTV's built-in digital tuner. It totally matched how bad the recorded Fringe show looked.

It's as if, now that an HDTV is in the mix (vs old CRT) that the DVR doesn't know what to do. I've watched DVDs that I made previously on the same DVR and they look fine on the TV. But stuff I watched directly, or stuff I tried to record, from OTA digital TV today - it all was dark and bad looking.

Any idea what is going on???

thanks

The majority of TVs have separate picture quality settings in the menu for each input (e.g., HDMI1, HDMI2, component1, component2, AV1, AV2, etc.). You can't use the same (or even factory) settings for each input as the source quality is going to be different. Go into your TV's menu, select the picture quality settings for the input you are using, and tweak them. You probably even have 3 or 4 preset quality levels per input that you could cycle thru to get close to the quality you want before having to do any tweaking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
One feature of the new 515 is a one hour power backup for the clock.

I had my 515 unplugged for approximately 60 hours over the weekend and when I plugged it in this morning the clock setting was still correct. Didn't loose any other settings either. I don't believe I had it programmed to record anything so I cannot speak to whether or not it would retain its timer programs for that period of time. YMMV

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,213

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacdona /forum/post/19602698

One feature of the new 515 is a one hour power backup for the clock.

I had my 515 unplugged for approximately 60 hours over the weekend and when I plugged it in this morning the clock setting was still correct. Didn't loose any other settings either. I don't believe I had it programmed to record anything so I cannot speak to whether or not it would retain its timer programs for that period of time. YMMV

As long as it retains the clock, timer rec programs should also be retained.

Thanks for your post... I've already got it referenced in many help files!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is the Magnavox 515 or 513 loud? Ours would be in the bedroom and I am worried that if the HDD is spinning it might be heard while sleeping. I am assuming it doesn't spin down, at least that is how I think the 513/515 operates.

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSW /forum/post/19606305

Is the Magnavox 515 or 513 loud? Ours would be in the bedroom and I am worried that if the HDD is spinning it might be heard while sleeping. I am assuming it doesn't spin down, at least that is how I think the 513/515 operates.

When you turn it off, it spins down and is silent, until noon and midnight if you have Auto Clock on. For 1-2 min. at those times, the fan turns on and the tuner searches for a time signal, then shuts down and is silent again.

It's a "light" fan sound and does annoy some light sleepers, so to avoid this, leave Auto Clock Off (which is its default setting).

·
Registered
8,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/19605074

As long as it retains the clock, timer rec programs should also be retained.

Thanks for your post... I've already got it referenced in many help files!

Remember back when a PC had a "Dallas" chip? You could leave the computer off and the chip would use a small battery. Time would keep for months. Those were the days.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/19606356

It's a "light" fan sound and does annoy some light sleepers, so to avoid this, leave Auto Clock Off (which is its default setting).

It is a very light fan sound. I have a 513 in my bedroom and it's only eight feet away from my pillow. I can hear it run when the room is quiet, but it's a steady low unobtrusive sound. I forget I am hearing it until it turns off and I notice the room become silent. I have timer recordings that start late at night. I notice the slight click/thump sound of the recorder starting up if I'm still awake, but it never wakes me up if I'm already asleep.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,220
WTH is THIS?

True or False?

Latest 515 Review on Walmart.com:

" 3 out of 5

Major Feature Missing, 12/04/2010

This model will not delete tv individual sub-channels as in example: channel 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 You have to delete all or none. So if you don't want 6.3 or 6.5 etc. sorry your stuck with them! I took this model back and had to buy the older 513 model. It lets you delete any individual channel. If you buy this model you will be surfing through a lot of channels that you can't delete. If this problem does not concern you go ahead and buy it."

12201 - 12220 of 28067 Posts