AVS Forum banner

12281 - 12300 of 28073 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Folks...I'd just like to thank everyone here for their help over the past couple of months.

I have now completed the purchase of our fifth(!) 513. As you may remember, we are using these to record newscasts for documentary purposes for a governmental organization. These machines are saving us at a minimum 30 minutes a day over the DVD recorders that they replaced. Not only is the picture superior to the DVD decks, but we can search for clips MUCH faster and dub more quickly.

A big shout out to wajo especially, but to all of you indeed. These little boxes have made my job MUCH easier and removed one of those hassles that run all of us up the wall on a daily basis. Had it not been for you fine folks, we would never have known these existed.

Once again, thanks! We really appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/19639382

That unit won't allow you to operate the 515 in other rooms, but the X40 Sender/Receiver will, according to Auskck, our premiere HDD upgrade Pioneer.

As advertised, it comes with one sender and one receiver that I suppose you could move from TV to TV, but I'm pretty sure they'd be willing to sell you extra receivers... the pic on left shows 8 receivers?

They have a toll-free tel. # at top of page. Make sure it has the code for any one of the Mag DVDRs:

MDR515H/F7, MDR513H/F7, H2160MW9A, H2160MW9, H2080MW8... they ALL use the same code(s).

Since this only sends SD, do they have anything for sending HD wirelessly??

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,283

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely /forum/post/19640857

Here's another of their ads that appears in Goiogle when searched for "HD wireless video sender" but model # is same... haven't had time to read closely, gotta go now. Comes with diff. accessories.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,284

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsho /forum/post/19640844

Folks...I'd just like to thank everyone here for their help over the past couple of months.

I have now completed the purchase of our fifth(!) 513. As you may remember, we are using these to record newscasts for documentary purposes for a governmental organization. These machines are saving us at a minimum 30 minutes a day over the DVD recorders that they replaced. Not only is the picture superior to the DVD decks, but we can search for clips MUCH faster and dub more quickly.

A big shout out to wajo especially, but to all of you indeed. These little boxes have made my job MUCH easier and removed one of those hassles that run all of us up the wall on a daily basis. Had it not been for you fine folks, we would never have known these existed.

Once again, thanks! We really appreciate it!

Thank YOU for keeping us up to date (many people don't) and sharing your success story with everyone here!

·
Registered
291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/19639690

Update: still on 24 hour time. No AM/PM indicator. Love it. Now I know it will revert to 12 time without reason soon, but it's just one more unknown in my life.

234, maybe you can ask engineer? USA is only country I know with 12 hour time.

Dear Joe,

Sorry, but what is your question?

By the way, we use am/pm 12 hours time indication in Japan basically.

Only some people (like me) prefer 24 hours indication.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compubooth /forum/post/19635812

wajo:

Rather than take any chances with STB causing elect problem with Mag1, let me try putting STB on 3rd power stripe leading to a separate AC plug/and circuit. I'll let you know results.

I wonder if you might have a ground loop .

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/19639382

That unit won't allow you to operate the 515 in other rooms, but the X40 Sender/Receiver will,

As advertised, it comes with one sender and one receiver that I suppose you could move from TV to TV, but I'm pretty sure they'd be willing to sell you extra receivers... the pic on left shows 8 receivers?

Thanks for the fast reply, I was concerned more about adding the output of the Mag515 to the house cable system on an unused channel, I finally settled on a Channel Plus 5415 RF Modulator. I have an extra Universal RF20 remote to control the unit.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234 /forum/post/19642589

Dear Joe,

I think Joe is saying his machine has stopped doing am/pm 12 hour. It is now doing a 24 hour clock. It likely did this by itself. He is concerned that it will suddenly change back to an am/pm 12 hour clock.

My 2160A, when it was very new, suddenly changed to a 24 hour clock one day. I couldn't find anything in the menu to change it back.

I had to unplug the machine and leave it "dead" for a while, then plug it back in. It now had an am/pm 12 hour clock again.

Joe has had the same thing happen, it seems, but maybe his refuses to change back.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof /forum/post/19643640

I think Joe is saying his machine has stopped doing am/pm 12 hour. It is now doing a 24 hour clock. It likely did this by itself. He is concerned that it will suddenly change back to an am/pm 12 hour clock.

My 2160A, when it was very new, suddenly changed to a 24 hour clock one day. I couldn't find anything in the menu to change it back.

I had to unplug the machine and leave it "dead" for a while, then plug it back in. It now had an am/pm 12 hour clock again.

Joe has had the same thing happen, it seems, but maybe his refuses to change back.

One of mine did that too. I thought it was due to the fact that we had a brief power outage and the auto clock got re-engaged, tho I didn't realize it at the time. I unplugged, fixed the clock, and it never happened again.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234 /forum/post/19642589

Dear Joe,

No problem. Just surprise. Clock is showing 23:26 and PM both.

Question is: what makes 24 hours time and what makes 12 hours time.

Thank you.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof /forum/post/19643640

It's more of a curiosity. I'm not big on mysteries. I have a lot of stuff, so maybe one remote code from something else made this happened. It happened one month after my last power failure. UPS only lasted 4 hours. My curiosity says: it can do it, so why does it do it? It will, I'm sure, change back for an unknown reason. As long as it records right, I'm ok. I'll check that tomorrow. If it suddenly stops knowing AM & PM, will that affect recording? I'll check. Last night there was no PM when I came home at 23:55 and no AM when the time went to 00:00. (I work 11am to 11:30pm).

I still wish the front panel would go black when off.

Update: at midnight, the front panel went from 23:59 to 12:00. At 12:01:30 it went to 00:01. And it's recording just fine. I'm on page 11 of titles; it's going to be a nice winter.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely /forum/post/19640857

Sure there is, but it is not cheap. Sending HD from a component or HDMI output via wireless, starts at around $200-$300 at the low end, and then goes into the $600-$800 range.

http://www.brite-view.com/air_synchd.php

http://www.brite-view.com/air_hd.php

http://www.smarthome.com.au/homethea...deo-sender.php

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...&scy=us&slg=en

·
Registered
1,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla /forum/post/19644344

Sure there is, but it is not cheap. Sending HD from a component or HDMI output via wireless, starts at around $200-$300 at the low end, and then goes into the $600-$800 range.

http://www.brite-view.com/air_synchd.php

http://www.brite-view.com/air_hd.php

http://www.smarthome.com.au/homethea...deo-sender.php

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...&scy=us&slg=en

Thanks for the info.

Do you have any personal experience with the units at the $200 level as I'm quite cheap?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
This post describes and illustrates procedure(s) for cleaning the laser lens and rubber hub in Funai manufactured DVD Drives.

Funai manufactured recorders seldom need to have the DVD Drive's rubber hub cleaned so the rubber hub cleaning SHOULD NOT be performed as a "routine" servicing procedure.

If there become frequent instances of read, write or finalizing failures or other disc related errors after extended use there is a possibility that the DVD Drive's rubber hub (atop the spindle/turntable) is soiled. Another concern is a dirty laser lens.

Keep in mind that opening the recorder's case will, or might, void the warranty.

THE DVD DRIVE LASER LENS AND RUBBER HUB CLEANING PROCEDURE(S) DO NOT REQUIRE REMOVAL OF THE DVD DRIVE FROM THE RECORDER.

Here is the DVD Drive cleaning procedure for most Funai manufactured DVD Drives:

Disconnect the AC power cord. Remove the recorder's top cover. Release the DVD Drive's rear cover clips, as seen in the first and fifth photos, and lift off the rear cover.

Rotate the DVD Drive's white gear toward the front of the recorder, as seen in the second photo. This causes the disc tray to extend and the rubber hub, spindle and laser assembly to descend in order to provide cleaning access for these parts, as seen in the second and third photos.

Here is a procedure variation for those Funai DVD Drives that do not have an exposed white gear: Extend the disc tray and then disconnect the AC power cord. Manually position the disc tray about half-way extended, as seen in the fourth photo. After cleaning, manually extend the disc tray to the fully open position before replacing the DVD Drive rear cover as well as the recorder's top cover before reconnecting the AC power cord.

A can of compressed air may be used to remove loose dust. In the third photo the red pointer indicates the rubber hub/spindle assembly. Use a clean cotton swab, dampened, not dripping, with 91% isopropyl alcohol and very gently roll the cotton swab over the laser lens one time only. Then use the dampened cotton swab to gently pick up dust and/or oily residue from the rubber hub, as seen in the fourth photo. The rubber hub is also accessible for cleaning from the front with the disc tray extended about half-way out, as seen in the fourth photo.

Drift the disc tray back into the DVD Drive, then rotate the white gear rearward until the hub/spindle and laser assemblies rise up to the parked position, refit the DVD Drive's rear cover--taking care to properly anchor the pointed part in the forward slot above the white guide wheel as seen in the first and fifth photos--then refit the recorder's case cover and reconnect the AC power cord.

Note: The first four photos depict a DVD Drive in a Funai manufactured Toshiba D-R410 from October 2008. Other Funai brands are similar. The fifth photo depicts a DVD Drive in a Funai manufactured PYE PY90DG from September 2006.

Reactions: zzyzzx

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have cox in phx, az and this is posted on thier web:

Effective November 16, 2010.

s Digital channel included with service level noted; Requires rental of digital receiver or CableCARD, except TV sets with Clear-QAM digital tuner will receive local broadcast channels without equipment rental.

Whis this said what channel would I tune to or how do I to get channel 199 on the Mag515 Because channel 199 has a Triangle saying it is a Clear-Qam channel that is not scrambled. Thanks

·
Registered
11,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely /forum/post/19646652

Do you have any personal experience with the units at the $200 level as I'm quite cheap?

Nope, no personal experience with any of them. I suggest you read the reviews at amazon, as they sell both of the lower priced Brite View products, the BV-2322 & BV-2500.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by st johng /forum/post/19648108

I have cox in phx, az and this is posted on thier web:

Effective November 16, 2010.

s Digital channel included with service level noted; Requires rental of digital receiver or CableCARD, except TV sets with Clear-QAM digital tuner will receive local broadcast channels without equipment rental.

Whis this said what channel would I tune to or how do I to get channel 199 on the Mag515 Because channel 199 has a Triangle saying it is a Clear-Qam channel that is not scrambled. Thanks
According to this Cox-Phoenix channel lineup, 199 is TCM ("Digital Only" meaning it's avail. only if you sub. to a digital tier?).

Since the 515 has only 135 digital channels in its tuner, like all HDTVs, Cox is probably remapping TCM to a channel that a std HDTV can tune. If you have a HDTV, find TCM and see what channel it shows TCM on, check the 515 and see if it found that same MAIN channel (like 115.xx or similar, could be any MAIN number). It may already be there but you didn't recognize it as TCM ch. 199 thru the box.

If it didn't, use the Manual Channel Preset menu and enter that HDTV MAIn channel number in the entry box, wait click ADD and wait for the checkmark to move to Add, then press the Return button and get out of the menu. See if TCM is now tunable with the CH_/- button.

12281 - 12300 of 28073 Posts