AVS Forum banner

12661 - 12680 of 28067 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly /forum/post/19774766

Are you saying that it would be hypocritical of me to sell my 3575 on E-bay. Maybe I could turn around and get two 515's.

I can get 3 515's for my 3576 and have change left over to buy a few hundred blank DVD+Rs

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Would it be nasty of me to try and sell my 2nd 3576 (the one that kept getting false anti-copy signals, and hasn't been used in months) on eBay for $500, and describe it as "an excellent DVR that can even transfer many shows to DVD"?

·
Registered
531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof /forum/post/19776384

Would it be nasty of me to try and sell my 2nd 3576 (the one that kept getting false anti-copy signals, and hasn't been used in months) on eBay for $500, and describe it as "an excellent DVR that can even transfer many shows to DVD"?

Used ones are going for that much. Maybe I should sell mine and upgrade and buy the 515. Let meknow if it sells. I also get the anti-copy signals.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat /forum/post/19772881

The two things on my wish list are #8 and #41 -- dual tuners, and HD recording. Something to do what the CM7000pal DVR does, only better.

The Pal is a hard drive only recorder. Can't burn to DVD.

One of ours, if it didn't down-rez between the tuner and hard drive, wouldn't be able to burn to DVD from a high def recording.

Now, if a Blu-Ray drive was the disc burner...

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingus /forum/post/19776410

Used ones are going for that much. Maybe I should sell mine and upgrade and buy the 515. Let meknow if it sells. I also get the anti-copy signals.

Hmmm...

I did a "3576 DVR" search, and found only one for sale. Current price? "$5.50"

GAH!!!

·
Registered
8,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 /forum/post/19776527

Actually, only since October 1949.

I remember when there was always a Red before the word China. Of course something similar could be said for Germany too. It's a strange world.

·
Registered
506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof /forum/post/19776429

The Pal is a hard drive only recorder. Can't burn to DVD.

One of ours, if it didn't down-rez between the tuner and hard drive, wouldn't be able to burn to DVD from a high def recording.

Now, if a Blu-Ray drive was the disc burner...

I was wondering if this would still be the DVD Recorder Forum if that ever happened. Technically, What he asked for is correct. We only have to use the term "BD" because it won out over HD DVD. DVD has nothing to do with resolution, it is mainly capacity and the dreaded piracy problem. Resolution is handled by the MPEG group. For all practical purposes HD content is too big to fit on a DVD. However those backing HD DVD did have "DVD,s" that were able to contain HD content. For simplicity and to tell them apart, they just added the HD.

Even early BD's used the same MPEG2 standard that is housed on a DVD, they just had decoders that used two streams to convert it back into HD. While MPEG4 is now the main standard of HD and does a better job at decoding than MPEG2 to "shrink" the content, there is still too much content to shrink down to fit on DVD.

So technically you only have to down rez for room, not because of the term DVD. OF course if there is no burner at all, it would still be HD.

@Citibear, hopefully the BD phase will pass quickly like Beta... did and yes the transition from VHS to DVD was easy.
I am just curious why Hard Drive and High Definition snuck into the mix?

·
Registered
506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/19777281

I remember when there was always a Red before the word China. Of course something similar could be said for Germany too. It's a strange world.

No more competition from Russia?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/19770239

The problem with many HD STBs and DVRs is that they insist on letterboxing everything out of their SD outputs. Recording a letterboxed signal greatly reduces the picture quality since you need to zoom the picture upon playback(if using a digital TV). Since you're wasting much of the DVD space recording black bars the picture won't be nearly as good as recording a full screen anamorphic signal.

DVRs and STBs do output wide screen over component which is why one would want to use such a converter. Also note most converters will downscale HD or pass 480i on, so you wouldn't really need to keep changing the resolution. I believe one converter only works if feeding it a HD signal(not 480i) so if you're planing on feeding it SD component you better make sure which converter you get.

Yes, I have an old Philips DVDR75 which has COMPONENT inputs and I record off the 8300's component outputs for that very reason (also to get CCs). Have to adjust the aspect ratio on the 8300 and downscale the video by setting to fixed resolution (rather than its usual "pass" setting) at 480i before recording, though.

·
Registered
8,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly /forum/post/19777347

I was wondering if this would still be the DVD Recorder Forum if that ever happened. Technically, What he asked for is correct. We only have to use the term "BD" because it won out over HD DVD. DVD has nothing to do with resolution, it is mainly capacity and the dreaded piracy problem. Resolution is handled by the MPEG group. For all practical purposes HD content is too big to fit on a DVD. However those backing HD DVD did have "DVD,s" that were able to contain HD content. For simplicity and to tell them apart, they just added the HD.

Even early BD's used the same MPEG2 standard that is housed on a DVD, they just had decoders that used two streams to convert it back into HD. While MPEG4 is now the main standard of HD and does a better job at decoding than MPEG2 to "shrink" the content, there is still too much content to shrink down to fit on DVD.

So technically you only have to down rez for room, not because of the term DVD. OF course if there is no burner at all, it would still be HD.

@Citibear, hopefully the BD phase will pass quickly like Beta... did and yes the transition from VHS to DVD was easy.

If any fee-free device could make HD (1080i)/DD5.1 content from cable and OTA save to the HDD would come out, I would buy one for each network. If archival storage (DVD) was only SD/DD2.0 that would be fine with me too. Tuner type isn't important for time shifting. True, the 500gb would only allow 60 hours or so. That's easy to fix. While this forum name is long, it could survive getting longer.

I hope somebody at the Funai home office is making a simple peel-off sticker for the 515H that they place over the DVD tray stating "Run Setup First".

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/19777604

...I hope somebody at the Funai home office is making a simple peel-off sticker for the 515H that they place over the DVD tray stating "Run Setup First".

Actually, what's needed is a large sticker that reads "Visit Wajo's Sticky Thread at the AVS Forum."

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely /forum/post/19777496

Yes, I have an old Philips DVDR75 which has COMPONENT inputs and I record off the 8300's component outputs for that very reason (also to get CCs). Have to adjust the aspect ratio on the 8300 and downscale the video by setting to fixed resolution (rather than its usual "pass" setting) at 480i before recording, though.

I've incorp. your 480i instruction in the help file... thanks.

Is your 8300 running SARA or Passport, and does it make any diff. in that setting. I still have info in the Aspect help file that said you have to send "Stretched" from a SARA 8300 to preserve WS aspect... nothing on 480i?

·
Registered
8,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/19777662

Actually, what's needed is a large sticker that reads "Visit Wajo's Sticky Thread at the AVS Forum."

Too many words. If they can't find the manual, I doubt they can find the forum. Yet they find time to post a one star review. I can't figure that one out and it hurts my head to try.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/19777724

I've incorp. your 480i instruction in the help file... thanks.

Is your 8300 running SARA or Passport, and does it make any diff. in that setting. I still have info in the Aspect help file that said you have to send "Stretched" from a SARA 8300 to preserve WS aspect... nothing on 480i?

Running SARA. I'm not sure why you'd have a help file for a Philips DVDR75 though (I'm not feeding the output of the Philips into my Maggie DVDR/HDD). I have to feed 480i into the Philips because it's a standard definition machine.

Jim

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,677

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLely /forum/post/19778569

Running SARA. I'm not sure why you'd have a help file for a Philips DVDR75 though (I'm not feeding the output of the Philips into my Maggie DVDR/HDD). I have to feed 480i into the Philips because it's a standard definition machine.

Don't have a help file mentioning the 75. I do have files on SA8300 tho, which was the subject of my question.

Thanks for info.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly /forum/post/19777347

LOL!

Didn't you just sort of make the same point I did, namely that a standard DVD wouldn't be of real use in burning a HD recording off the hard drive, a high def DVD burner being needed instead? That WAS the point I made.

That, and the fact the Pal recorder has no optical burner drive at all.

Edit:

Do have a question about your idea of 'the BD phase passing quickly'.

What would you suggest in its place as a way of making 'hard copies' of recordings in HD, if not on Blu-Ray discs?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
There is software for a PC that will put HD on a regular DVD, of course you don't get a lot of content because of the limited capacity. The DVD will play on a Blu-Ray player in HD. A DVD player doesn't know what to do with it.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss /forum/post/19779098

There is software for a PC that will put HD on a regular DVD, of course you don't get a lot of content because of the limited capacity. The DVD will play on a Blu-Ray player in HD. A DVD player doesn't know what to do with it.

Again, this doesn't address the ability to USEFULLY move an HD recording from a hard drive (in a machine otherwise identical to one of "ours") to an optical disc.

THAT's the point we were discussing.

12661 - 12680 of 28067 Posts