AVS Forum banner

12861 - 12880 of 28073 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
It had sat UnPlugged for nearly two (2) hours - same result with Soft Reset - Time continues to display and even is current (and Changes as I watch!!) (Reminds me of my first DVD Recorder the LiteOn which could do, as you probably know better than I, a great many "All-Burn" VCD/CD DVD, and then after years of use, all it said to me was "HELLO". At least this 515 gives me the current time (expensive clock)).

The brand DVD+RW entrapped in the tray is either a Fujifilm, Maxell, TDK, or Office Depot - I won't know till the tray decides to open. Have used these brands for years with no prior problems.

Unit is now UnPlugged as of 1:41 PM EST. I'll do Soft Reset at 3:45.. > 2 hours.

Who knows: some great discovery re 515s may be 'happening'

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,862
OMG, macdonna got 60 hours of power backup on his 515 recently!!! :EEK:

Yea, I thought the upgrade to much longer power backup was a great addition... except for a frozen machine.

We'll have to develop a "workaround" to the long power backup of the 515... imagine that!... so people can clear its memory like the Soft and Hard Resets do. If you could just use the SKIP 123 + OK hard reset method (#3 in the help file), that would clear everything immediately. I guess pressing those keys will do nothing in yours?

There's another reset for a machine that is frozen ON that you could try and see if it does anything: with machine ON, press and hold the STOP button on front panel while pressing the power (Standby/On) button. AFAIK, that just turns a frozen machine OFF but doesn't reset anything???

·
Registered
177 Posts
Genetides, for what it's worth, there is a micro switch on the mainboard labeled "reset" that does a reset when the machine is powered up. From memory, it is on the top surface of the main board about 2" rearward of the display LCD. It may un-freeze a frozen 515 if they kept it, but you may be reluctant to open the case.

tom

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,865

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENETIDES /forum/post/19875406

Then I set up Timer Recordings overnight - 3 TCM movies to HDD HQ and a 1-hr 3's company (TVLand) SP mode to the DVD+RW (which 'fit' as per lower right corner Space available reference) and edited the titles (nice new touch on the 515); all looked ready, turned power to stand-by, and went to sleep.

This morning: FROZEN 'ON'.

Curious... explain your timer setup in more detail please. So far, w/o more detail, I'm uncertain about the "sequencing" of the timer programs and wondering if you thought you could record to HDD AND DVD at same time???

·
Registered
659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/19858608

Thinking here... Ok, if a niche item contributes to a company's bottom line it can survive if it has an internal sponsor that thinks the product is viable. But if history repeats itself, the 515H may be the end.

If there is room for only one fee free recorder, and that recorder is (for whatever reason) going to be SD, the niche will be small and not last too long before it's a user supported item. How long before SD goes the way of VHS? Five years? When 4kx2k becomes a standard, 480i will really need to have a user supported base to keep it alive. I think there are too many "new cow" types like me who must have the lastest & greatest.

Yes, the "long sunset" for the HDD DVDR may have started in 2007 with the Philips 3575 and it's about to end in 2011 with the Magnavox 515, which still makes the sunset longer than the hay-day of DVD recorders (2004-2006).

I'm taking no chances. As I mentioned earlier, I flipped for *another* Magnavox. I toyed with waiting for 515s to start showing up as refurbs, but I don't really need the 500 gig HDD (only encourage me to stack up stuff waiting to be dubbed, then have a major oops if the drive fails) and the other enhancements, while nice, aren't vital to my workflow.

I found a place called "Planet73" selling 513 refurbs on Amazon for $150 plus ca. 11 bucks shipping. Their feedback was good (I always *read* the actual customer comments), so I took a chance. The machine that came is indeed a genuine, Funai-approved refurb, not a "yep, the parts are all here, so let's call it 'refurbished' because it sounds better than 'used.'" Not a mark or fingerprint on the cabinet, the HDD was wiped clean, original manual was included (but I never refer to it because this thread is so much more helpful), and all the settings were sent back to factory defaults.

It was wrapped in bubblewrap and shipped in the original factory box, which UPS mangled; the unit was visible through the gaping gash in the box. But when I fired it up and ran it through its paces, it worked fine, so no harm no foul.

A 320 gig HDD, digital-tunered DVDR for $160? It's unlikely to get better than this. I shelled out $650 for my first recorder and congratulated myself for holding out until the prices got reasonable.

Whatever the fate of HDD DVDRs, I'm good to go for the next 10 years or so. And yes, I'll probably snag a 515 when it hits the refurb market. I now have three HDD recorders in daily service (a Panny, a Philips, and a Pio), each dedicated to specific functions, with a couple more that cycle in for special projects and one of the Mags about to go live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/19858608

But I'm a sucker for old stuff. I used my 1995 Neon today for a trip to the store. That car is old enough to drive in PA.

Heh, and my 1997 Acura Integra "Green Machine" with 202K miles on it is hunkered down in the garage waiting for the outside temp to nudge into the upper teens before it goes for a work-the-kinks-out drive. To my eyes, the car was hyper-cool 14 years ago, and the design has aged beautifully (probably better than its owner). In the meantime, the 2008 Camry "Driving Appliance" gets me back and forth to work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks all for the suggestions; the unit is still unplugged till 3:45 PM EST.

- I tried 'Holding the Power Button while Un-Plugged': nothing.

- I can't do the 'Hard ReSet' as No Display.

- It's not Frozen ON, but I tried that - nothing

- Yes, I won't attempt the 'Get Inside the Box' No Guts I guess.

- The Timer sequence was:

-Two (1:45 hrs each) TCM analog channel movies to HDD HQ with 3 minutes in between end and start times (acknowledging the 2 minute 'lost' time when those two times are the same)

- 20 minutes after the 2nd movie end time, start a 58 minute "3's Company" analog channel to blank formatted DVD+RW SP

- 2 hours after the end time of the DVD recording One 2 1/2 hr TCM analog channel movie to HDD HQ

[Other than the 00:32:00 initial display with red light on and DVD icon in frozen display screen, I have no idea what really happened.]

Space-wise per lower right hand corner space reference on Timer Screen:

- HDD fully available (except of course what 'Auto-Record' was doing in it's own space)

- DVD SP mode 1 hr

Both icons were correct and final Timer screen was correct.

Recap: A- 2 HDD HQ recordings

B- 1 DVD SP recording

C- 1 HDD HQ recording

No time conflicts, minimal 3 minute lapse between A & B

>>At 3:45 PM I'm going to attempt a 'Soft Reset' (Hold Power Button while Re-Plugging)

OR

should I just Re-Plug ??

·
Registered
2,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENETIDES /forum/post/19876155

It had sat UnPlugged for nearly two (2) hours - same result with Soft Reset - Time continues to display and even is current (and Changes as I watch!!) (Reminds me of my first DVD Recorder the LiteOn which could do, as you probably know better than I, a great many "All-Burn" VCD/CD DVD, and then after years of use, all it said to me was "HELLO". At least this 515 gives me the current time (expensive clock)).

The brand DVD+RW entrapped in the tray is either a Fujifilm, Maxell, TDK, or Office Depot - I won't know till the tray decides to open. Have used these brands for years with no prior problems.

Unit is now UnPlugged as of 1:41 PM EST. I'll do Soft Reset at 3:45.. > 2 hours.

Who knows: some great discovery re 515s may be 'happening'

I'm a rookie compared to Wajo et al, but from my pre-DVR recording days, I never trusted a brand new or erased DVD+RW without burning a short recording to it first. With DVR's I always recorded to HDD and then high-speed-dubbed to DVD+R or DVD+RW to avoid possible loss of content due to media problems. I've recorded, edited and dubbed thousands of hours but have never gone directly to DVD, so I have no insight whether that might be relevant to your problem...

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,869
No, DEFINITELY hold power button on front panel WHILE replugging, otherwise it does nothing.

Also, if you ever get it working again, the 515 and others can timer rec back-to-back (BTB) programs with loss of only 3- or 6-sec between shows, depending on whether channel switch involves a digital or not.

Here's the info on timer recording with a section on BTB timer rec.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,870

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacdona /forum/post/19602698

One feature of the new 515 is a one hour power backup for the clock.

I had my 515 unplugged for approximately 60 hours over the weekend and when I plugged it in this morning the clock setting was still correct. Didn't loose any other settings either. I don't believe I had it programmed to record anything so I cannot speak to whether or not it would retain its timer programs for that period of time. YMMV

Gotta know, might be important... did you have Auto Clock ON or set for a MANUAL channel, or was Auto Clock OFF (the normal default setting)?

Since default is OFF, I'm hoping you'll remember if you set Auto Clock ON or used The 11:57 Procedure to set a Manual channel at any time. Those normally EXTEND the length of power backup time for previous units.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 /forum/post/19876483

...I found a place called "Planet73" selling 513 refurbs on Amazon for $150 plus ca. 11 bucks shipping. Their feedback was good (I always *read* the actual customer comments), so I took a chance. The machine that came is indeed a genuine, Funai-approved refurb, not a "yep, the parts are all here, so let's call it 'refurbished' because it sounds better than 'used.'" Not a mark or fingerprint on the cabinet, the HDD was wiped clean, original manual was included (but I never refer to it because this thread is so much more helpful), and all the settings were sent back to factory defaults.

It was wrapped in bubblewrap and shipped in the original factory box, which UPS mangled; the unit was visible through the gaping gash in the box...

It's been my experience that Funai "refurbs" their recorders in Groveport Ohio where they are repackaged in generic brown boxes. The original retail boxes are red. The first photo shows the red retail box for my first 2160 purchased through walmart.com and the brown "refurb" boxes for one 2160A and two 2160 "refurbed" models purchased through J&R. The second photo shows the red retail box for my 515 purchased through walmart.com.

Magnavox "refurbed" models are assigned a new serial number that differs from the original serial number.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,872

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENETIDES /forum/post/19876601

Thanks all for the suggestions; the unit is still unplugged till 3:45 PM EST.

- I can't do the 'Hard ReSet' as No Display.

Important to know: Not sure what "display" you mean, so did you try pressing the SKIP 123 buttons (all within 3 sec). That menu comes up OVER anything else on screen, just not sure how "hard-frozen" your machine is.

Try several times since some people have trouble pressing all buttons within time limit, but they'll know it didn't take cuz they see the channel changed to ch. 3 (last button pressed), and you can't see that.

If the FW Versions screen does appear, press OK, which does a hard reset.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did 'Soft Reset' after 2 hours 7 minutes SUCCESS!!

The Clock was NOT on Auto ... first DST option was ON..as I had set both

The results of the Timer Recordings:

# 1 Recorded to HDD in HQ as per scheduled, however there was a 'snap crackle & pop' noise and nano-second 'flashbacks' to the channel recorded only as broadcasting 'now' (does that make sense?) for the first 2 minutes.. on my previous 2160 and 513, whenever I heard, that I knew a 'Frozen' unit was coming..so with the 515 it seems that is the same (except to reset now takes > 10 minutes on the previous models.. a variable # of hours time apparently)

# 2 Recorded to DVD+RW in SP correctly.. NO Noise..and plays on another DVD player

# 3 Recorded to HDD in HQ with same first 2 minutes of 'Rice Krispies' noise and then plays back fine

Is there a pattern to be discerned? Couldn't find one on the 2160 or 513..

I appreciate all the responses and suggestions.

Wajo, especially to you, as you seem the expert on these units...I'll keep checking back to see if others are having the same problems: - frozen & 'Rice Krispie' sound effects.

Meanwhile, I've got 88 more days to see if I have a 'lemon' to be exchanged.

Thanx Folks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wajo Thanks... Once I was again functional I did do the Skip 123.. the FW screen came up but I didn't do the OK ..

I did have to do the Analog/DTV Channel Preset to get the Digitals back

All the 'lemon' and 'Rice Krispies' mention has made me hungry so time to eat.

Yea, I will return/exchange it... other than the 'frozen', I like the 515 capabilities.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,876
Make sure you tell them at Walmart that it was "defective" which gets all your costs back, incl. any shipping.

Also, make sure you take a look at the DVD info file and try to get some of the recommendd DVDs, 8X speed. This might be esp, important if recording directly to DVD using 1-hr-HQ, where the bits are being laid down at almost 11Mbps... 2X the SP rate and pretty dense for a SD disc... lots of "stress" in the recording media, i.e., it's gotta be good!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/19876770

It's been my experience that Funai "refurbs" their recorders in Groveport Ohio where they are repackaged in generic brown boxes. The original retail boxes are red. The first photo shows the red retail box for my first 2160 purchased through walmart.com and the brown "refurb" boxes for one 2160A and two 2160 "refurbed" models purchased through J&R. The second photo shows the red retail box for my 515 purchased through walmart.com.

Magnavox "refurbed" models are assigned a new serial number that differs from the original serial number.

Dig...

We really gotta get you a few more machines. You just don't have enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/19869931

Newbies to HDD upgrade: The 3576 does have the same FW as other PhilMag units, so we know that 250GB and 500GB HDDs can be used to their full capacity. It's just the 320GB drives that *may* be "nonstandard" and only format to 250GB.

There is some uncertainty as to whether or not a 320GB HDD is seen as "nonstandard" or not by the PhilMag FW since the two that were tried had been used or formatted previously on a computer (one with a partition that the user "removed").

IMO, until we get someone who really, really wants to use a NEW 320GB HDD in their unit, I'd say the jury is still out.

Until that time, new upgraders would be best served with a 250 or 500GB HDD.

Wajo, I have two 320GB HDD's that I had purchased to use in my 2160A Mags. Both are new and have never been used. Both are 2.5" Laptop drives which I chose to use because of power and heat considerations. I purchased these drives before it had been noted in this thread that the 320GB drives might not format to full capacity, just never got around to installing them. Info and test results follow:

Test Recorder: Mag 2160A, Manufacture Sept. 2009

Model: E2S00UD

DTV-S: 0x29

FE: R60_001_000

BE: HD6A269704H1E

TT: [email protected]

Test HDD's: Western Digital-WD3200BEVT 320GB

Seagate - ST9320423AS 320GB

Both HDD's Formatted without issue using the Skip 079 procedure, usage capacities for both were the same:

Rec Mode

1 hr-HQ = 49h 26m

2 hr-SP = 98h 53m

2.5 hr-SPP =123h 37m

3 hr LP = 148h 20m

4 hr EP = 197h 47m

6-hr-SLP =296h 41m

These record times are different than those shown in your Chart, but as you can see they would equate to the 250GB drive. I believe this difference is due to the actual capacity of the drives being only 298.1 GB and not the 320GB indicated by WD and Seagate.

In conclusion, I would agree that the 320GB HDD are indeed "nonstandard" and should not be used because of the loss of capacity when formatted by the Mag. Anyone considering upgrading should choose the 500GB HDD. Also when I purchased these HDD's back in late 2009 or early 2010, price difference between the 320 and 500GB Drive was greater than today. For a SATA drive on Newegg, only $5 between them now. Hope this helps....

This thread is an outstanding source of information for anyone that owns or is considering purchasing one of these recorders. Thanks for all your good work and all those who contribute, keep up the good work .......

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12,879

Timeline,

Thanks for the very informative post. I've changed the HDD capacity charts to ref. your post and stated that 320GB drives will "most likely" not format to their full "expected" capacity... EXCEPT IN THE 513 WHERE 320 IS THE OEM DRIVE'S CAPACITY.

Like you, I really don't think anyone today would select a 320 over a 500 unless they had one in hand with no other use for it.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfw515 /forum/post/19871464

I agree that 300GB or 320GB drives can be considered non-standard as I just tested this with my externalized 3575. I just dropped an old 300GB SATA drive (that HAD been re-formatted in a PC prior to being used in my HDD BlacX eSATA dock) and it showed 105 hours of SP mode. 105 hours is the same as what would be expected in a 250GB drive.

My Firmware versions match what has been designated as a Philips "Later 3575 FW - 6/18/07". Sorry, but I don't have a NEW 300GB or 320GB SATA drive to test out that portion of the issue.

dfw515

wajo --- I tried formatting the 300GB (that I had lying around) in both the externalized 515 and externalized 3575, and like TimeLine62 who used a 320GB, it only formatted the equivalent of 250GB.

FYI...dfw515

12861 - 12880 of 28073 Posts