AVS Forum banner

13061 - 13080 of 28067 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyfchu /forum/post/19974755

The Sears will only put out 400 W max, so it is not going to support a microwave. The confusing thing is the 3576 will run on a cheap 100 W inverter that I plug into the 12 V output of the Sears. Both waveforms are nearly identical on an oscilloscope. These are modified sine waves and pretty ugly looking, but the low power $15 unit works and the high power $120 unit doesn't. I am stumped as to what the difference between the two would be other than the fact that the Sears has a circuit which causes it to cut out when the 3576 is plugged in.

It is simply an incompatibility between the 2 devices.

I had a similar happen with a brand new TrippLite inverter I used in my car when trying to use a Toshiba laptop. I called TrippLite and was told it was a known issue with that laptop model so they sent me a different model inverter for use with the Toshiba laptop at no charge. The original inverter worked for other things without issue, just not that specific laptop. Sears (or whoever actually makes the unit for them) might be able to tell you more if you contact their support.

·
Registered
506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Collins /forum/post/19976223

It is simply an incompatibility between the 2 devices.

I had a similar happen with a brand new TrippLite inverter I used in my car when trying to use a Toshiba laptop. I called TrippLite and was told it was a known issue with that laptop model so they sent me a different model inverter for use with the Toshiba laptop at no charge. The original inverter worked for other things without issue, just not that specific laptop. Sears (or whoever actually makes the unit for them) might be able to tell you more if you contact their support.

I cannot even use an inverter in my car. The fuse in the car's circuitry keeps blowing. I would say that the internal converter has "too much" protection built in that turns itself off to avoid damage.

@fyfchu, have you tried plugging another UPS device into the AC outlet to see what would happen?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,063

Quote:
Originally Posted by clboon /forum/post/19975413

sched multiple future recordings, easily sched recurring recordings (aka "record this show/series"), while naming all of my recordings for me rather than simply dating them with day/date/time like the 515 does...

This is 2nd poster to "intimate" that the 515 doesn't have a feature for pre-titling timer recorded shows.

Please note: THE 515 HAS A FEATURE FOR PRE-TITLING TIMER RECORDED SHOWS, as described here.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rococo /forum/post/19975446

Dear Wajo, Funai should pay you a fee for your support service. Can you tell me what the 3 digit code for the the 515 is, so I can wake it up to record with my Dish 222 receiver? The Dish manual does not list Magnavox as a DVR brand, so I tried the Mag DVD player codes and got 658 to work, but the Dish database does not include that code. Makes no sense to me why the manual lists the code but the receiver's database does not have it. I did discover that codes below 650 are in the database. I really was hoping that I could use this DVR the same way I used the VCR by letting the Dish receiver start the recording.

You got farther along than I've been able to do. I've tested all kinds of codes on my Mags and none work, even the player codes.

This is ONE AREA THAT FUNAI HAS TO "GET WITH THE PROGRAM" AND HELP US OUT!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi,

My Panny DMR-EH75V’s DVD drive died. Completely dead, won’t spin. As I have painfully learned over the last week, Panasonic doesn’t service DVRs anymore; the parts are ridiculously expensive, etc. So I’m considering buying a MAG 515. Problem is, I have a LOT of DVDs that I have recorded on the Panny but never finalized. I’m told the MAG won’t play them. What are my options? Will any Panasonic DVD player play these DVDs? What is the least expensive DVD reader / burner that can finalize these DVDs? If I install a generic DVD reader / burner drive on my approximately 10 year old Win XP computer (currently has one CD burner / reader and one DVD reader) will I be able to use it to finalize these DVDs so they can play on the MAG?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Ken,

Unfortunately even with the Coax going from Wall > Splitter > 515 > TV no channels come in other than a handful of DTV cable channels, but they are a bit useless compared to the 500 normal channels I subscribe for. I just received FIOS about 2 weeks ago, so maybe their main coax from the box on the wall is even scrambled enough to now render the 515 tuner useless (it seems so at least).

I'll look into the FireSTB. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wajo,

Thanks for the heads up on the custom TITLE feature. I actually have already figured that out, but it's still a pain considering I have over 50 recurring titles recorded on my old DVR, in addition to approx 40 one-off shows/titles, so naming everything as I go is much more of a daunting task then simply clicking "RECORD" like I'm used to. Since my 515 is a slave to the FIOS STB, I wish the 515 would at least then receive the GUIDE features (ie. program titles, details, etc.).

Thanks Wajo

·
Registered
506 Posts
I understand your plight, but that is asking for a service that would require extra money. Trying to keep the cost down is the goal here. Up until the 515 you could not even create the title you really wanted. Titles are a little overated any way. Who puts a DVD in just to read the titles? Theoretically it may help to get a synopsis of the show you want to watch, but the practicality of just putting a DVD in to get the jist of the show is not there. While we have gotten used to the fact that we can see the "previews" of shows that are to come, that is where the practicality comes in. Even Tivo does not include a lot of what you can see on the hard drive onto the DVD. If you truly want to have the whole enchilada, you should look into a HTPC. There are guides abundant online that a computer can attach to your shows and even let you program them by any means possible. However you will be looking at storing them on hard drives and not DVD's. Once everything is digitally settled, (unless the next best thing comes out and puts things in a turmaoil again) those who have gotten used to the DVDR's of the last 7 years may get "what they are used to". However, technology changes too fast to get comfortable.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
fyfchu,

I wonder if you exchanged the Unit for another one at Sears, Maybe it is just defective. I hear you on your 515 working off the cheap charger but maybe the internal Sears charging has a bad ground or something causing the incompatibility even though it works with other units.

I have had a similar issue with Solid State in house wall dimmers. They seem to work reliably with standard 75 watt and above Incandescent bulbs with normal size bases. However I have a dimmer connected to a Chandelier that has the small based incandescent bulbs(Total wattage still is around 75 watts. I have the dimmer set to make the chandelier dim when illuminated. Sometimes when I turn on the dimmer the chandelier will light up the first time and other times it will not. It almost always lights up on the second try. I would guess it is some kind of a threshold turn on issue or the solid state dimmer is not seeing enough load. But what ever the reason, it is annoying and I have yet been able to resolve the issue by even buying different models of dimmers.

SO basically I feel your pain

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,070
fyfchu,

One thing diff. in the Mag DVDRs is an "active" coax passthru, which means the coax circuit is amplified, even when the unit is off. Unplugging the unit seriously degrades the TV pic, also even when the DVDR is off, so there is some "active" current thru the plug that might be messing with the inverter?

Also, these DVDRs have "Standby" power where most other stuff doesn't... my touch-pad dehumidifier does and poss. other touch-pad appliances?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrisso256
Hi,

My Panny DMR-EH75V's DVD drive died. Completely dead, won't spin. As I have painfully learned over the last week, Panasonic doesn't service DVRs anymore; the parts are ridiculously expensive, etc. So I'm considering buying a MAG 515. Problem is, I have a LOT of DVDs that I have recorded on the Panny but never finalized. I'm told the MAG won't play them. What are my options? Will any Panasonic DVD player play these DVDs? What is the least expensive DVD reader / burner that can finalize these DVDs? If I install a generic DVD reader / burner drive on my approximately 10 year old Win XP computer (currently has one CD burner / reader and one DVD reader) will I be able to use it to finalize these DVDs so they can play on the MAG?
Your *best* bet would be to get a used Panny?

Here's a thread on used HDD-DVD recorders.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Can anyone think of a reason why a DVD+RW recorded on my old Lite-On recorder won't play on my 2160A? It plays on my portable "Durabrand" DVD player, but not on my Maggie?

Also, the video plays on my computer, but not the audio. (That may not be a biggie, since the computer only plays DVDs at all because I downloaded some extra codecs for Windows Media Player off cnet.com, so it's sort of a rinky-dink setup.)

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rococo
Dear Wajo, Funai should pay you a fee for your support service. Can you tell me what the 3 digit code for the the 515 is, so I can wake it up to record with my Dish 222 receiver? The Dish manual does not list Magnavox as a DVR brand, so I tried the Mag DVD player codes and got 658 to work, but the Dish database does not include that code. Makes no sense to me why the manual lists the code but the receiver's database does not have it. I did discover that codes below 650 are in the database. I really was hoping that I could use this DVR the same way I used the VCR by letting the Dish receiver start the recording.
Wouldn't just setting the timers on both machines be a simple work-around?

Set the 515 to record off its audio/video inputs at the same time the DISH box tunes to the appropriate channel.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof
Wouldn't just setting the timers on both machines be a simple work-around?

Set the 515 to record off its audio/video inputs at the same time the DISH box tunes to the appropriate channel.
Rocky, also see this help file for TIPS from other Dish uners.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof
Can anyone think of a reason why a DVD+RW recorded on my old Lite-On recorder won't play on my 2160A? It plays on my portable "Durabrand" DVD player, but not on my Maggie?

Also, the video plays on my computer, but not the audio. (That may not be a biggie, since the computer only plays DVDs at all because I downloaded some extra codecs for Windows Media Player off cnet.com, so it's sort of a rinky-dink setup.)
Was it recorded in VR mode? My 513 won't play DVD-RWs made in my Pioneer DVDR if they were recorded in DVD-VR mode. It will play finalized DVD-RWs recorded in DVD-Video mode.

Have you tried Media Player Classic Home Cinema on the PC?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F
I don't think you can program recurring reminders with the FIOS STB. You'd have to manually enter each one.
Ken, I have the following in the help files on FIOS:

FIOS, Moto, SA STB With or Without DVR:

FIOS STB - Denal46 found that his FIOS STB can set a timer to record a channel EVEN THO HE DOESN'T HAVE A DVR! He presses the red record button on the STB remote, which brings up the menus for selecting a program and setting it to record, even tho there's no DVR with his STBs. He then just needs to set a timer program in his DVDR for a coordinated, unattended timer recording session, as described here.

FIOS STB - JanisHP uses the same RECORD SHOW feature of a FIOS STB as Denal46 to set coordinated timer programs, as described here. "

Are you saying your FIOS STB remote doesn't have the same RECORD button as those two hints?

Also, if they can press the RECORD button to set a "timer" in their FIOS STB WITHOUT a DVR, do you think they mean they can set a ONE-TIME record "timer" but not a recurring timer for that show?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrisso256 /forum/post/19976993

Hi,

My Panny DMR-EH75V’s DVD drive died. Completely dead, won’t spin. As I have painfully learned over the last week, Panasonic doesn’t service DVRs anymore; the parts are ridiculously expensive, etc. So I’m considering buying a MAG 515. Problem is, I have a LOT of DVDs that I have recorded on the Panny but never finalized. I’m told the MAG won’t play them. What are my options? Will any Panasonic DVD player play these DVDs? What is the least expensive DVD reader / burner that can finalize these DVDs? If I install a generic DVD reader / burner drive on my approximately 10 year old Win XP computer (currently has one CD burner / reader and one DVD reader) will I be able to use it to finalize these DVDs so they can play on the MAG?

Thanks.

By all means buy a new Magnavox 515! But you should also give attention to returning your EH75 to functionality. One can never have too many HDD/DVD recorders. Among my many recorders I have six Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders, including one 515, two Philips HDD/DVD recorders and two Panasonic HDD/DVD recorders.

If the EH75 DVD Drive is completely dead and won't spin up the most likely problem is a failed or failing capacitor in the recorder's power supply. A less common problem is a disturbance to a ribbon cable, a misaligned ribbon cable or a damaged ribbon cable contact strip. These problems affect the general functionailty of the recorder. There will be problem indicators, "Hello" or "Please Wait" that do not clear, or other error reports present on the front panel display.

Capacitor replacement is described and illustrated in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055111

This post describes and illustrates repair of a damaged ribbon cable contact strip:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post19432906

Unfinalized DVDs may be finalized by most any Panasonic DVD Recorder with a functional DVD Drive. These are often found reasonably priced on Craig's List. This thread provides advice:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1281815

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/19977619

You could try Disc Edit > Make Edits Compatible...

OR record 10 sec or so to the disc, then if that works, delete that 10-sec title.

In "Setup", Disc Edit had "Make Edits Compatible" grayed out.

When I tried to record, it refused to, giving some error window. Suggested I try 'Make Compatible'.

In "General Setting", the recorder did have (under "Recording") "Make Recordings Compatible" still available.

I turned it on.

Did the brief recording you suggested (tho' I let it go for 15 seconds, not 10...nyah nyah) and it worked. The former menu was gone, and now the menu our Maggies make was there. The short recording was listed as number 2, and when I tried title 1, the original Lite-On recording began to play.

EXCELLENT advice, even if its execution ended up being a little lumpy!

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,080

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof /forum/post/19977754

In "Setup", Disc Edit had "Make Edits Compatible" grayed out.

When I tried to record, it refused to, giving some error window. Suggested I try 'Make Compatible'.

In "General Setting", the recorder did have (under "Recording") "Make Recordings Compatible" still available.

I turned it on.

Did the brief recording you suggested (tho' I let it go for 15 seconds, not 10...nyah nyah) and it worked. The former menu was gone, and now the menu our Maggies make was there. The short recording was listed as number 2, and when I tried title 1, the original Lite-On recording began to play.

EXCELLENT advice, even if its execution ended up being a little lumpy!

Aha! You proved that the Mags will be able to use Lite-on discs by setting MRC on. The "other +VR" machines is suggested here, but we now have some proof-of-concept on Lite-on discs!

I'm going to add a link to your post for others to see when they read that help file section.

13061 - 13080 of 28067 Posts