AVS Forum banner

13281 - 13300 of 28073 Posts

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,281

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh /forum/post/20045752

My mistake - I checked on the 3576 and when I step through the dubbing modes the MB number changes but the pie chart is static, so I guess it's not supposed to be a representation of the disk usage...

It just reads what's ALREADY on the disc, and adding titles to the dub menu has no effect on that... it shows the capacity remaining only after things are dubbed to the disc. And it's a pretty "gross" look at capacity anyway.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be /forum/post/20046296

Thanks, Jim...I'll do some more troubleshooting to see what my issue may be...

WOW. After some digging around, it turns out that after I turned OFF "Make Recordings Compatible", I was able to DIRECT DUB from my finalized DVDR72 disc. I don't know if that is something that is in the guide, nor do I know if it is specific to the 3575/6 units or all Funai units.

Another strange thing: While it has been stated that the dubbing uses the recording mode of the original disc (in this case, the disc title was in 2.5 hour mode, but instead of dubbing as SPP mode, it dubbed in LP mode (3 hour). So I stopped the dub, set back to HDD mode, set the recording mode to HQ, and then went back to the disc and started another dub from the same title. I now have 2 titles on the hard drive, both from the same source title from the dvd, yet one is in LP mode, and the other is in HQ mode. ???

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,283

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be /forum/post/20046727

WOW. After some digging around, it turns out that after I turned OFF "Make Recordings Compatible", I was able to DIRECT DUB from my finalized DVDR72 disc. I don't know if that is something that is in the guide, nor do I know if it is specific to the 3575/6 units or all Funai units.

Another strange thing: While it has been stated that the dubbing uses the recording mode of the original disc (in this case, the disc title was in 2.5 hour mode, but instead of dubbing as SPP mode, it dubbed in LP mode (3 hour). So I stopped the dub, set back to HDD mode, set the recording mode to HQ, and then went back to the disc and started another dub from the same title. I now have 2 titles on the hard drive, both from the same source title from the dvd, yet one is in LP mode, and the other is in HQ mode. ???

Holy shamoly, a glaring wajo error. I was thinking of HSD when I said the dub to HDD would be at same rec mode as on disc.

Now, it appears that the D.Dub needs a rec mode set for the HDD?

Edit: Yup! I just did a quick test... HDD rec mode needs to be set.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/20046768

Holy shamoly, a glaring wajo error. I was thinking of HSD when I said the dub to HDD would be at same rec mode as on disc.

I wonder if unfinalized dubbing (using the dubbing list) would use the existing record mode?

EDIT: When using the dubbing list on unfinalized discs on the 3576, after selecting "Dubbing Start", I am offered a screen to select which REC MODE to use. All 6 record modes are available to choose from.

EDIT2: When I loaded an unfinalized disc from another recorder (DVDR72), I could not choose the dubbing list menu to dub to the HDD, whether I had "make recordings compatible" on or off. However, I could do a single DIRECT DUB of one title, but only with "make recordings compatible" OFF. The plot thickens.

Anyway, glad that part of the mystery is solved...now on the more alarming part. Why would "make recordings compatible" setting affect being able to dub a (un)finalized disc? Perhaps more testing with more models / discs is in order? I only have the 3576 model to offer in testing.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/20046725

It just reads what's ALREADY on the disc, and adding titles to the dub menu has no effect on that... it shows the capacity remaining only after things are dubbed to the disc. And it's a pretty "gross" look at capacity anyway.

Hmm - I just double-checked my 3576 - it shows the same 1/3 full chart whether I set up a dub to an empty disk or to an 80% full disk. One shows 4404MB, the other 792MB, but the chart is exactly the same. Original FW BTW...

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,286

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh /forum/post/20046976

Hmm - I just double-checked my 3576 - it shows the same 1/3 full chart whether I set up a dub to an empty disk or to an 80% full disk. One shows 4404MB, the other 792MB, but the chart is exactly the same. Original FW BTW...

The little disc icon picture won't change (it's not "dynamic"). It also does NOT represent the titles you ADD in the Dubbing menu. It just shows how much capacity is left uinrecorded on the disc you're using.

The MB# ABOVE that disc icon in the rec mode selection menu repreents the total MB of the titles you've ADDed to the Dub menu. It's for comparison to remaining disc capacity, represented by the MB# below with the disc icon.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/20047127

The little disc icon picture won't change (it's not "dynamic"). It also does NOT represent the titles you ADD in the Dubbing menu. It just shows how much capacity is left uinrecorded on the disc you're using.

Wajo, I believe what cc is saying is that the disc icon NEVER changes, no matter how full or empty the disc is that you put in the drive to start with. It is just an icon identifying that the MB# next to it is the remaining space available. The icon itself never represents the actual amount of space available, only the number does. No matter what the number is, the icon remains the same (1/3 full looking).

Barring that, then either I don't understand what cc is saying, or I don't understand what wajo is saying.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts

Quote:

Would there be any advantage to making an HDD HQ recording of a DVD recorded in LP mode?

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/20047297

Would there be any advantage to making an HDD HQ recording of a DVD recorded in LP mode?

It would be nice if the dvd upconvert circuitry is engaged when doing a dub to HDD, then there would be an advantage. But that I'm sure is just a pipe-dream.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,291

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/20047297

Hey, I just did this in my quick test of D.Dubbing on a 3575. LP title on disc copied back to HDD at HQ, LP and SLP. HQ looked same as original... no obvious PQ loss but also no obvious improvement., i.e., it's essentially a mirror image to the eyes?

Original was from an analog channel... there's the rub... digital holds up much better in copying and mode conversion.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be /forum/post/20047257

Wajo, I believe what cc is saying is that the disc icon NEVER changes, no matter how full or empty the disc is that you put in the drive to start with. It is just an icon identifying that the MB# next to it is the remaining space available. The icon itself never represents the actual amount of space available, only the number does. No matter what the number is, the icon remains the same (1/3 full looking).

Barring that, then either I don't understand what cc is saying, or I don't understand what wajo is saying.

Right - for some reason I thought I remembered it to be "dynamic", and misunderstood Wajo to say that it was. But I think it's just the "label" for the MBs of remaining space. It's not important anyway - I was just curious about it...

·
Registered
2,514 Posts

Quote:

That accounts for my result also - the 515 rec mode was EP at the time I started the dub, and why the 2+ GB on disk went to 700MB on the HDD. That's good to know - it's a definite advantage to be able to control the mode...

·
Registered
8,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/20047484

Hey, I just did this in my quick test of D.Dubbing on a 3575. LP title on disc copied back to HDD at HQ, LP and SLP. HQ looked same as original... no obvious PQ loss but also no obvious improvement., i.e., it's essentially a mirror image to the eyes?

Original was from an analog channel... there's the rub... digital holds up much better in copying and mode conversion.

No problem. I didn't mean to imply there was an advantage. There is no icon for rhetorical question. And if I was doing a copy of a SP DVD to SD DVD I would use HDD HQ mode to preserve the original quality as best as possible. Sort of like a big RAM buffer. Or use my computer that has two DVD drives.

But you raise an interesting point. My analog channels really suck. But how does that happen if all content is digital now? Cable people usually have about 20 vsb channels that look really bad, sometimes worse than before DTV. And when I take the composite from my HD box and save it to the 2160A it looks pretty good. Some things I'll never understand.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,295

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/20048178

No problem. I didn't mean to imply there was an advantage. There is no icon for rhetorical question. And if I was doing a copy of a SP DVD to SD DVD I would use HDD HQ mode to preserve the original quality as best as possible. Sort of like a big RAM buffer. Or use my computer that has two DVD drives

But you raise an interesting point. My analog channels really suck. But how does that happen if all content is digital now? Cable people usually have about 20 vsb channels that look really bad, sometimes worse than before DTV. And when I take the composite from my HD box and save it to the 2160A it looks pretty good. Some things I'll never understand.

Ah, another rhetorical question.

·
Registered
506 Posts

Quote:

Can you count on one hand, or does it take two, to see how many times it has been converted back and forth between analog and digital?

·
Registered
8,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly /forum/post/20049635

Can you count on one hand, or does it take two, to see how many times it has been converted back and forth between analog and digital?

You mean the content? If so, I have no idea. I'm pretty sure a high def camera takes the picture. After that, there are many many possibilities. I remember back when satellite carried the studio feed so you could see what went on during commercials. Life moves on.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale1965 /forum/post/20033835

I have a quick question. What is the best way to edit this situation: my husband's sister can't get many channels so I'm going to record the amazing race for her on Sundays and dub it to dvd. The problem is that we usually aren't home when it's on and it never starts on time because of sports on during the day. So when I used to use the vhs, I would record for about 3 hours or so to make sure we caught the whole thing (we are always home before the end or at least not long after so it never recorded an entire 3 hours, actually). So anyway I will need to edit out any extraneous stuff at the beginning and possibly end (I will not cut out commercials though) before I put it on the dvd. Is it easiest to just split it into 2 or 3 parts (2 or 3 depending on if we're home to stop recording right at the end of the show) and delete the parts before the show starts and after it ends? Or is another way better?

eta: I have the magnavox 515. I was going to add it to my signature but the signature edit page says not to put equipment in my signature so I guess I have to remember to mention it every post.

I just record a large time frame like you did with the VCR and edit out all the stuff before, and after, as well as the commercials, then when I have enough episodes, dub it to a DVD-R. I don't do the title dividing, if that's what you were really asking.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

Quote:

No problem. I didn't mean to imply there was an advantage. There is no icon for rhetorical question. And if I was doing a copy of a SP DVD to SD DVD I would use HDD HQ mode to preserve the original quality as best as possible. Sort of like a big RAM buffer. Or use my computer that has two DVD drives.

Most cable analog stations are also broadcast on an encrypted digital channel. A cable box automatically tunes the digital channel, even if you enter the analog channel number.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:

My analog channels really suck. But how does that happen if all content is digital now?

Analog will look progressively worse as the signal strength gets lower. With digital, you won't notice until it reaches a certain threshold and starts to pixellate.

You might need an RF amplifier. Radio Shack sells one .

13281 - 13300 of 28073 Posts