AVS Forum banner

13521 - 13540 of 28073 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly /forum/post/20159672

Pixelation and drops outs are related to HD/SD. They have nothing to to do with conversion between SD, HD, and analog. If an LCD looks bad in one form, it will look bad in all three. You get what you pay for is still true for LCD's. Back to pixilation and drops outs. Welcome to the new digital age. Instead of analog "snow", in the digital world, the "information" just gets lost.

I'm aware what causes pixelation and drop outs. Yes, the digital TV system we have here in the USA is a GREAT improvement over NTSC analog! LOL... I'd much rather watch an analog system in fringe areas with a fair amount of snow than to endure all of the problems and artifacts with DTV. Isn't progress wonderful?

·
Registered
8,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/20160105

I was getting excellent analog signals from both cable and OTA right before I got into digital, and they were better than a lot of what I get in digital now (certainly easier to watch, in many cases - especially with sports).

Not just with SD digital, but in some cases, even with what passes for "HD" now (even if there's more detail in the HD picture, it's often just harder to stomach because of the artifacts from being bit-starved. And, with stuff like that, as soon as anything moves, it really goes to crap. Not in every case, but in some - even with the so-called "best" HD - OTA, at least in my market).

Here's my theory. I have no way to prove it. The cable feed or headend has just so much horsepower. Before DTV, most people had NTSC/vsb sets. Then the cable company started to give away a DTA or two. Some people bought sets with digital tuners (hybrid or dual). These new items take more juice to get going. More load on the cable line. Poorer NTSC/vsb quality. With digital either you get it or you don't. Almost losing it causes pixelation. My digital QAM channels are all perfect. Some are 480i(SD), some 480p(ED), ABC/Fox are 720P and some are 1080i. My TV can show signal diags with a digital channel, but nothing with NTSC. Since the last change, my top analog channel is 135 without sound. Probably a mistake soon to evaporate.

I just installed a 515H on the cable output from my 2160A. No changes in lineup. My recording bug seems to be fixed. I'm going to check the clock issue with PBS tonight.

I think I might be disagreeing with you. I'm not sure. It's not intentional. And I sometimes wish there were fewer wrinkles with HD. The sound makes up for it.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/20160390

... My TV can show signal diags with a digital channel, but nothing with NTSC. Since the last change, my top analog channel is 135 without sound...

NTSC tuners go as high as analog cable channel 125.

Clear QAM devices tune the 2-135 range, potentially thousands of digital cable sub-channels. Right now I'm watching Comcast digital sub-channel 116-2024 through the clear QAM tuner of my Dynex TV.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/20160804

NTSC tuners go as high as analog cable channel 125.

Clear QAM devices tune the 2-135 range, potentially thousands of digital cable sub-channels. Right now I'm watching Comcast digital sub-channel 116-2024 through the clear QAM tuner of my Dynex TV.

I would like to show you a picture. I don't know why Sony decided to allow channel 135. I'm having a strange day. Not confused enough (I am)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A...on_frequencies

Maybe I'll write Sony a letter.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I have. 1. Cable DVR. 2. Vizio tv connected directly to cable. 3. 3576 connected directly to cable

For a long time the local HD CBS station showed as

1. 225

2. 225

3. 86.1

After the cable channels were realigned to group the channels by content type

1. 1105

2. 225

3. 86.1

The QAM frequency was always 86.1

They can remap things any way they want with the program info in the data stream

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss
I have. 1. Cable DVR. 2. Vizio tv connected directly to cable. 3. 3576 connected directly to cable

1. 225

2. 225

3. 86.1

1. 1105

2. 225

3. 86.1

They can remap things any way they want with the program info in the data stream
Your Vizio TV would also be using a QAM tuner. It should be getting exactly the same channel the recorder is as 86.1. It can't get channels according to the remapping used for cable boxes, since the cable company can't control the TV...

...unless your TV has cable cards? Which means it'd actually be functioning as its own cable box, so in that case it not getting the channel as 86.1 makes sense.

Thing is, my QAM TV is also getting SD channels at a totally different channel number than my recorder, also up in the 200s. (Well beyond any actual digital cable number.)

Whatever causes TVs to display such different numbers from the virtual channel numbers...

Maybe the cable company was using that same method to remap the channels, until now. Now they're doing something different, placing that channel so much higher up?

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss

1. 225

2. 225

3. 86.1

1. 1105

2. 225

3. 86.1

I wish some of that "program info" would give me a clock for the 515H or 2160A.

I'd pick door #3. Sounds physical and not remapped.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have Dir TV Sat in standard video signal box. I connected the sat. box s-video to s-video in on DVR but I do not get signal to Samsung HDTV. I can hook up RCA cables and get a signal but not as good as S-video. I have read Mag manual and there is no info for inputing S-video input and for DVR to recognize S-video info. What am I missing? Please advise. Thanks, Videonutwo.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof /forum/post/20161687

Your Vizio TV would also be using a QAM tuner. It should be getting exactly the same channel the recorder is as 86.1. It can't get channels according to the remapping used for cable boxes, since the cable company can't control the TV...

...unless your TV has cable cards? Which means it'd actually be functioning as its own cable box, so in that case it not getting the channel as 86.1 makes sense.

Thing is, my QAM TV is also getting SD channels at a totally different channel number than my recorder, also up in the 200s. (Well beyond any actual digital cable number.)

Whatever causes TVs to display such different numbers from the virtual channel numbers...

Maybe the cable company was using that same method to remap the channels, until now. Now they're doing something different, placing that channel so much higher up?

Yes it's a QAM tuner. It also show some channels as 87.234

So, some of the channels contain virtual channel numbers in the PSIP, some don't. A cable company supplied DVR downloads the guide, remapping info, authorization data in a separate data stream, and pays no attention to the info in the channel's data stream.

What channel number you see depends on the tuner and it's firmware which varies by manufacturer, device type, and model.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Posting this in case it may turn out useful to someone else.

Background: My Philips 3576 is in my bedroom, and I have a 2-room Dish Network DVR in my living room that feeds to the 2nd room via coax on analog cable channel 73 or analog antenna channel 22. I also wanted to hook up an antenna to the 3576 to receive and record OTA digital channels as well.

I bought a GE Digital 2-Way Splitter from Home Depot rated at 5-2300Mhz, and connected the antenna to one of the "outputs" and the coax from the Dish DVR to the other output, and connected a coax line from the "input" on the splitter to the 3576 "Antenna In". After doing an Auto Channel Preset on Antenna, I now have all my local OTA digital channels plus analog channel 22 which is the feed from the Dish DVR. I'm experiencing no interference or problems with any of the channels.

I guess depending on your local OTA channels, I should put in a caveat: "YMMV" (your mileage may vary).

5/12/2011 - Followup to this post:

Yesterday I noticed that all my Dish channels being fed in to my 3576 were a bit fuzzy (in the other room, they were fine), and I was worried that I had a bad coax connection or cable going bad from the DishDVR to the 2nd room. As a check, I removed the OTA Antenna from the "combiner", and my Dish channels all returned to normal. There must have been some kind of signal interference happening. So I guess using a two-way splitter as a combiner is not all it's cracked up to be.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yay! My first linked post. I guess my only problem now is that the only spare coax I could find is a bit long, so I'm dealing with trying to hide the coax cable from view behind the tv cabinet.

·
Registered
11,577 Posts
Just make sure what you watch on your Dish tuner
It may be possible for others to tune analog 22 being broadcast by your antenna since your Dish tuner will be broadcasting a weak channel 22 back out the antenna

·
Registered
20 Posts
With the 515. Do you have to record with the closed captions on for you to use them on playback? Do they become burned in and not turn off-able?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,536

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleramon /forum/post/20171577

With the 515. Do you have to record with the closed captions on for you to use them on playback? Do they become burned in and not turn off-able?
Here's the help file on CC.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/20170594

Just make sure what you watch on your Dish tuner
It may be possible for others to tune analog 22 being broadcast by your antenna since your Dish tuner will be broadcasting a weak channel 22 back out the antenna

1. It's not an external roof antenna, only a small indoor one.

2. While the splitter is 2-way, I had no idea the antenna could broadcast, only receive.

3. My daughter makes sure I'm careful what I watch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Question: Comcast handed out the STBs to all residents of the complex in Feb. We have that building wide bulk contract where tenants get it in price of rent. Comcast has called me like FOUR times! since to get me to install the STB. I am still illogically (I'm sure) afraid that if I boot up STB I will lose the channels I recieve on my rf coax from the wall to 515 and I am just stalling (bird in the hand). I know how to split and install but: Why are they so persistent? What do they care? The laundry rooms don't have boxes. Is Comcast just being friendly?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,540

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleramon /forum/post/20174743

Question: Comcast handed out the STBs to all residents of the complex in Feb. We have that building wide bulk contract where tenants get it in price of rent. Comcast has called me like FOUR times! since to get me to install the STB. I am still illogically (I'm sure) afraid that if I boot up STB I will lose the channels I recieve on my rf coax from the wall to 515 and I am just stalling (bird in the hand). I know how to split and install but: Why are they so persistent? What do they care? The laundry rooms don't have boxes. Is Comcast just being friendly?
Comcast is NOT your friend!

13521 - 13540 of 28073 Posts