AVS Forum banner

14901 - 14920 of 28067 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoneit /forum/post/20708863

For sure not an AV drive. It'll be the cheapest 250Gig laptop drive they make and sell.

Why put a fast, large cache drive in a USB enclosure that will be slower than the slowest drive they can use?

True, and they're only putting 250's in the lowest-end laptops these days. Actually $29 isn't even that cheap when you consider that Target recently sold a WD 750GB USB3.0 portable for $59...

·
Registered
291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh /forum/post/20707134

Hi all,

Target has a WD 250GB portable (USB-powered) drive for $29 this week. Do any of you know if a drive like that can be stripped out and used in a 2160A? I assume the drive itself would be compatible but may not have useable SATA or power connections?

Thanks,

CC

Couple of things to think about, before you opt for that unit.

1. Opening the WD 250GB portable will void the warranty.

2. 250GB vs. 160GB won't give you a big increase in storage, like a 500GB would.

500GB drives (max capacity current Maggie's can use) are regularly available for around $39. For example, last Friday Fry's advertised in local papers a 3.5 inch WD 500GB 'Factory Recertified' for $28 and a 2.5 inch Hitachi 500GB 'Retail Package' for $49. (Amazon also have a 3.5 inch WD 500GB for $39.)

As more and more new computers add USB-3 capability, HDD manufacturers are dumping inventories of their soon-to-be-obsolete USB-2 HDD portable drives. (USB-3 is backward compatable to USB-2)

Which ever option you choose, hope the update goes smoothly.

PS - Recently, the local WalMart had a bunch of new 1TB Seagate USB-2 units they were dumping at $35. (I was tempted.
)

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 /forum/post/20709381

Couple of things to think about, before you opt for that unit.

1. Opening the WD 250GB portable will void the warranty.

2. 250GB vs. 160GB won't give you a big increase in storage, like a 500GB would.

500GB drives (max capacity current Maggie's can use) are regularly available for around $39. For example, last Friday Fry's advertised in local papers a 3.5 inch WD 500GB 'Factory Recertified' for $28 and a 2.5 inch Hitachi 500GB 'Retail Package' for $49. (Amazon also have a 3.5 inch WD 500GB for $39.)

As more and more new computers add USB-3 capability, HDD manufacturers are dumping inventories of their soon-to-be-obsolete USB-2 HDD portable drives. (USB-3 is backward compatable to USB-2)

Which ever option you choose, hope the update goes smoothly.

Yes, my other WD portable are sealed - looks like they would have to be pried or cut open. One actually is a 500GB, but I think I'd rather experiment with the cheap 250. I think a 2.5" would be safer power-wise than most 3.5's...

·
Registered
291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh /forum/post/20709472

Yes, my other WD portable are sealed - looks like they would have to be pried or cut open. One actually is a 500GB, but I think I'd rather experiment with the cheap 250. I think a 2.5" would be safer power-wise than most 3.5's...

Yes, a 2.5" should draw less power and therefore give off less heat than a 3.5" unit.

If you haven't done so yet, be sure to read wajo's primer on HDD replacement/upgrade at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...9&postcount=39

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 /forum/post/20709566

Yes, a 2.5" should draw less power and therefore give off less heat than a 3.5" unit.

If you haven't done so yet, be sure to read wajo's primer on HDD replacement/upgrade at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...9&postcount=39

For sure - I've been following the upgrade sagas for 2 years but didn't have the nerve to try it. I'd rather upgrade my older 3576 but I'm not too comfortable with the IDE/SATA conversion...

·
Registered
8,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 /forum/post/20710030

JoeKustra, Can you pick up the Scranton Wilksbarre OTA stations from your neck of the woods with your Mag?

I receive no OTA channels. I live in a small valley. Only signal I get from an antenna is VHF cable channel leakage. Sorry.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Having a little problem coping data from my Flip Video recorder to the 160. Flip has HDMI out and USB out. Neither connection is available in on 160. Tried to go through HDTV connections-HDMI in to tv and out with r/w/y to 160. Got audio but no video. Any ideas how I can make the connection?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,909

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime18r /forum/post/20710396

Having a little problem coping data from my Flip Video recorder to the 160. Flip has HDMI out and USB out. Neither connection is available in on 160. Tried to go through HDTV connections-HDMI in to tv and out with r/w/y to 160. Got audio but no video. Any ideas how I can make the connection?

Yes, two possible ways:

1. Use the TV connection you described above but make sure you set your 2160's Source to L1 (back) or L2 (front), whichever you connected the TV to. Also, make sure L1 or L2 is set for "Video In" (YWR) in the Video > Video Input menu.

2. If #1 doesn't work, use the HDMI-Component/S-Video Converter described here between your player and the 2160. The player will need a full-size (normal) HDMI connector on the Converter end.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Got nothing when I used L1 and r/w/y through front connections. L2 with r/w/y through the front connections, I got sound and no video. I had a similar problem when i was figuring out how to connect my copiall filter. Sound and no video. S-video solved that problem. There is no S-video out on my tv.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,911

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime18r /forum/post/20710539

Got nothing when I used L1 and r/w/y through front connections. L2 with r/w/y through the front connections, I got sound and no video. I had a similar problem when i was figuring out how to connect my copiall filter. Sound and no video. S-video solved that problem. There is no S-video out on my tv.

To me, that means you have L2 set for S-Video In instead of the Video In needed for YWR from your TV!

You must SET L1 and L2 to match the type of cable you use.

·
Registered
336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapler1234 /forum/post/20709381

PS - Recently, the local WalMart had a bunch of new 1TB Seagate USB-2 units they were dumping at $35. (I was tempted.
)

I had a WD caviar black 1TB drive that died and I RMA'd it and they sent back a 2TB, so I guess it isn't even economic to make 1TB drives these days.

scott s.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime18r /forum/post/20710539

did you go into general settings on the recorder and change L1 or L2 to VIDEO (not s-video) Sometimes these get swapped and when plugging in new devices we forget that the video/s-video input setting needs to be adjusted. (at least I always do!)

EDIT (naturally, Wajo beat me to it!
)

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,915

Quote:
Originally Posted by videonutwo /forum/post/20710643

Holding down stop button has no effect.

Any chance the wrong/nonrecording drive is active/selected when pressing button and not the recording drive?

One press when on the recording drive should bring up a Yes/No dialog.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/20710711

Any chance the wrong/nonrecording drive is active/selected when pressing button and not the recording drive?

One press when on the recording drive should bring up a Yes/No dialog.

Umm...

Is this a 2160-515 we're talking about? How could it have more than one recording drive?

Unless...

Do you mean it might have been somehow set to DVD when the recording is actually happening on the hard drive (or the other way around)?

I've had stuff like that happen where I couldn't understand why a button wasn't working, only to realize the machine was set for "the other drive".

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here's a weird one:

I have my new Mag 515 hooked up to cable via a splitter: coax directly to the 515 where it can get about 110 channels, and a second input from the STB to the DVR L1 via S-video and L+R audio cables. However, we discovered 3 channels on the basic cable feed that cannot be seen via the coax without an STB; one of these is the Travel Channel, which we DO want to record.

So last night, we taped that channel via the L1 input on the 515, direct from the STB via S-video and audio cables. It worked perfectly for the first 15 minutes of the recording, then, up popped a message that said something about our TV, the HDMI connection, and HDCP not being compatible. It recorded audio, but that video message stayed up for the remaining 45 minutes of the recording.

Just a guess here, but I'm thinking that "BleakHouse" cableco equipment sensed a STB output to a non-HDCP device (the 515??) and shut off the video feed. The TV was not on during the recording. When I called cableco today to enquire (politely), they suggested that I would get the same result on Travel Channel whether trying to record the HD version, or the SD version on a lower channel (I was trying to record from the HD version). They are sending a technician tomorrow to look at my set-up and discuss it with me.

There does not seem to be any other way to attempt to record this channel (Travel) and 2 others, since they are not available on either the analog or digital lists after a complete scan. When tuned in manually (via the DVR) they appear blank, although I can view them clearly via the L1 input from the STB (when not recording). Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, solutions, for this type of issue? Much appreciated.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,918
MrNews, check out this help file section on TIPS for STB Users, esp. #3 on Connections.

Your setup prob. fits one of those tips, or variation thereof?

It sounds like your TV should be on with HDMI connection, and you should either NOT view thru DVDR while recording, or use a connection between DVDR and TV other than HDMI (or with HDMI if no joy).

·
Registered
5,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNews /forum/post/20713501

Here's a weird one:

I have my new Mag 515 hooked up to cable via a splitter: coax directly to the 515 where it can get about 110 channels, and a second input from the STB to the DVR L1 via S-video and L+R audio cables. However, we discovered 3 channels on the basic cable feed that cannot be seen via the coax without an STB; one of these is the Travel Channel, which we DO want to record.

So last night, we taped that channel via the L1 input on the 515, direct from the STB via S-video and audio cables. It worked perfectly for the first 15 minutes of the recording, then, up popped a message that said something about our TV, the HDMI connection, and HDCP not being compatible. It recorded audio, but that video message stayed up for the remaining 45 minutes of the recording.

Just a guess here, but I'm thinking that "BleakHouse" cableco equipment sensed a STB output to a non-HDCP device (the 515??) and shut off the video feed. The TV was not on during the recording. When I called cableco today to enquire (politely), they suggested that I would get the same result on Travel Channel whether trying to record the HD version, or the SD version on a lower channel (I was trying to record from the HD version). They are sending a technician tomorrow to look at my set-up and discuss it with me.

There does not seem to be any other way to attempt to record this channel (Travel) and 2 others, since they are not available on either the analog or digital lists after a complete scan. When tuned in manually (via the DVR) they appear blank, although I can view them clearly via the L1 input from the STB (when not recording). Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, solutions, for this type of issue? Much appreciated.

If possible connect your cable box to the TV with component cables instead of HDMI.

I get a HDCP error sometimes when recording from the cable box S-Video out to L1 input, when the cable box is also connected to the TV through a receiver with HDMI cables. It usually happens when I switch inputs multiple times on the receiver too fast while recording. When I use component video cables I never get that error.

·
Registered
8,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNews /forum/post/20713501

Here's a weird one:

[..]

My cable feed of BBCAM is scrambled and does not appear on the Mag 515H channel list (or any DVR/TV). I use the RNG110 and feed its RWY to the Mag and have never had any issues with recording or playback. The STB (HD only) connects to my AVR. Neither the AVR or TV were ever powered on during recordings. I hope you get this fixed. I am curious what model STB you have.

14901 - 14920 of 28067 Posts