AVS Forum banner

1601 - 1620 of 28067 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/14596708


I'm not sure, but if someone wants to leave a disc in for other "special" reasons (like a 3455 user does to prevent a problem I don't remember), I'd use a Finalized disc (just a short test video on it) so the machine won't run the tests every time.

Mainly what I do is dub a show on a RW from the HD so I can take it elsewhere for viewing. It's just kinda handy to already have the RW in n' ready to go.


But with a test going on every time I start up maybe I shouldn't be so lazy and just load one when I need it!



Thanks wajo!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,602

Quote:
Originally Posted by gce /forum/post/14596897


But with a test going on every time I start up maybe I shouldn't be so lazy and just load one when I need it!

The ONLY bad effect from a HDD recorder... we get LAZY... but then, that's my middle name!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof /forum/post/14594304


Pretty odd, tho'. I have one of those digital-to-analog converter boxes, and I can delete any sub-channel I want.


Not with the fancy recorder tho'.

Unfortunately, just as they were with the later analog VCR's and DVD recorders, the tuners in these things are basically afterthoughts.


They're made in Asia where they are mostly concerned with eking out every last penny of profit they can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,604



Heat/EMI/RF/MW Can Cause False Copy Protection and Other "Weird" Stuff!


If you suspect "false" CP or experience some other "weird" problems (even HDD failure), first check for sources of EMI, RF or MW (microwave) near your system, like an old CRT TV, plasma TV (esp. Panasonic), satellite receiver, or microwave oven, AND MOVE THEM OR THE DVDR! See if the problem clears up before investing lots of time on other troubleshooting. See examples below.

HEAT


One European Union (EU) user bought a Philips DVDR and had problems with stuttering and lockups after some moderate usage time. Turns out he crammed his unit into a narrow space, with NO air flow from the intake vents on the side of the unit to the fan on the back, which overheated the circuitry and HDD. He bought another unit and placed it on top of an old CRT, which cleared the old problem, but caused another problem: false copy protection (CP) from stray RF/EMI interference, as described in the next subject.

 

These DVDRs do NOT get hot from use, but they CAN be affected by outside heat sources, as described here .


Heat is the laser diode's worst enemy, and the HDD isn't too fond of it either and esp. doesn't like EMI! Many "odd" problems can occur if your DVDR gets too hot. This DVDR's intake air vents are on the top right side (facing unit), and the fan is on the back. Allow ample space for airflow.

 
  • Don't block right side or cram into narrow space.
  • Don't place unit on top of other hot components.
  • Don't use in a fully-enclosed entertainment center.
  • Don't place your DVDR on top of old CRT TV or even close... keep max. distance between them.

EMI, RF, MW

Since CP works by "disrupting" the video stream, and EMI and RF can do the same thing, some people might just be CP'ing themselves with stray EMI or RF, like our intrepid EU user mentioned above!?


He bought a 2nd new DVDR but, unfortunately, placed it on top of an old CRT TV which was apparently emitting strong electromagnetic interference (EMI). He was CP'ing himself! Click here for details on a test by orsetto that duplicated the stated problems when he placed a U.S. 3575 on top of an old CRT TV.

Even a Plasma TV can send EMI/RF signals throughout your house, as described in this thread on a ham radio operators forum where the OP tested it with his equipment... verrry interrresting discussion (and not too long)! The OP's tests showed that the Plasma TV didn't even have to be CLOSE to other equipment! Another ham operator says in that thread, in response to recommendations for moving or shielding the TV: "Are you kidding....I am trying to figure out how to hook an antenna to the screen and key it. I think it would out do my AL-1500. The big screen Plasma Panasonic TV is a prolific RF generator."

Here's another article on EMI/RFI (4th section up from bottom) with tests in 2010 on Panasonic Viera plasma HDTVs, with videos clearly showing lots of RFI from the TV. He even mentions COUNTRIES involved in getting rid of the RFI and Panasonic replacing TVs for excessive RFI.

In another instance, a U.S. 2160 user had some weird problems that couldn't be explained or remedied by all normal troubleshooting. In working the problem, he happened to move his DirecTV R10 receiver from on top of the 2160, which cleared all his prior problems, as he explains here.


One person reported losing a weak TV channel 12 from interference caused by a pair of amplified speakers.

One user set a DVDR on top of his MICROWAVE oven and the HDD was rendered useless... wiped drive, couldn't reformat, unrecoverable... had to order a new HDD.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,605
One difference between the 3575/3576 and the H2160 cropped up...

When the 2160's Progressive Scan in ON in the Video menu, NO VIDEO will be output via the Video or S-Video outputs.


To use Composite or S-Video output from the 2160, set Progressive Scan Off in the Video menu... HDMI doesn't need it anyway since IT sends its own formats under a separate control/button. If you ALSO want to use Component output, in addition to Composite or S-Video, you'll get an interlaced Component signal to the TV with the Progressive set to OFF.


In this regard, the 3575/3576 sends the interlaced video signal thru its Composite and S-Video outputs regardless of the Progressive setting, as described in this "Settings..." help file .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
I've tried several times to record a program from my Philips 3576H to a DVD and it will play on the Philips as well as my computer but I can't seem to get the recorded DVD tp play on my Optoma DV 10, Home Cinema projector. The sound plays on the projector but no video. The projector has a built in DVD player.

I've used DVD+R, DVD+RW and most recently a Maxell DVD-RW with the same result.

Does any kind soul have any idea what I might do to fix this?


Stressbox
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
wajo


Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did finalize all except the DVD+RW which the manual says doesn't require finalizing. I don't think the 3546 allows you to finalize that type.

I recorded the Maxell in HQ mode.

Not sure what you mean by the "outputs" of the DVD player which is built into the DV10. I did play with the set up menu with formats but couldn't seem to fix the problem. It's odd that the sound plays while the video doesn't. I used to have a Panasonic DVD recorder which produced disks which worked on the DV10.

On my first attempt to record on the Philips had a long movie on the HDD which didn't allow HQ recording so it was recorded in real time. That didn't work either.

Would hate to have to buy another projector--there aren't many with the convenient built in DVD player and speakers.

stressbox
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,609

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressbox /forum/post/14604007


wajo


Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did finalize all except the DVD+RW which the manual says doesn't require finalizing. I don't think the 3546 allows you to finalize that type.

I recorded the Maxell in HQ mode.

Not sure what you mean by the "outputs" of the DVD player which is built into the DV10. I did play with the set up menu with formats but couldn't seem to fix the problem. It's odd that the sound plays while the video doesn't. I used to have a Panasonic DVD recorder which produced disks which worked on the DV10.

On my first attempt to record on the Philips had a long movie on the HDD which didn't allow HQ recording so it was recorded in real time. That didn't work either.

Would hate to have to buy another projector--there aren't many with the convenient built in DVD player and speakers.

stressbox

I've read of some DVD players that apparently don't like the high bit-rate of 1-HR-HQ or XP and, since yours plays the audio, which is no big task, it really sounded to me like it just didn't like the densely packed video data.


You apparently tried a dub recorded in something other than HQ, so that proves it's NOT the densely packed HQ data on the disc.


First thing I'd do is check the media ID with your DVDR's disc utility, using SKIP-1-2-3 as described at the bottom of this page . That'll eliminate "bad media" maybe.


You could try several short, manual, test recordings to a -RW disc at several diff. rec modes, with Chapter Marking OFF, some on digital WS channel with 16:9 Wide setting in Video menu and others on analog channel with 4:3 LB setting. After Finalizing, try to play all titles in the DV10 (hopefully it has a title skip button or such in case you don't see video?). That might provide a clue as to which, if any, of those recorder settings the DV10 might not "like"???


My comment on the player's setup menus comes from reading a review of the DV10 and it mentioned it comes with factory settings for projector portion and separate settings for DVD playback... thinking there might be something there? Here's the ProjectorCentral review section on that:


"The DVD player's Setup menu has its own set of basic image adjustments (brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness) that are factory optimized for the projector, in addition to the adjustments in the projector menu. However, some users may have their own preference for DVD playback that differs from their preferences for other sources, so Optoma left the option open to adjust the DVD player's output settings as well."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Is it possible to combine 2 titles together? I see the option to divide them but I'd like to put them back together without re-dubbing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/14604111


I've read of some DVD players that apparently don't like the high bit-rate of 1-HR-HQ or XP and, since yours plays the audio, which is no big task, it really sounded to me like it just didn't like the densely packed video data.


You apparently tried a dub recorded in something other than HQ, so that proves it's NOT the densely packed HQ data on the disc.


First thing I'd do is check the media ID with your DVDR's disc utility, using SKIP-1-2-3 as described at the bottom of this page . That'll eliminate "bad media" maybe.


You could try several short, manual, test recordings to a -RW disc at several diff. rec modes, with Chapter Marking OFF, some on digital WS channel with 16:9 Wide setting in Video menu and others on analog channel with 4:3 LB setting. After Finalizing, try to play all titles in the DV10 (hopefully it has a title skip button or such in case you don't see video?). That might provide a clue as to which, if any, of those recorder settings the DV10 might not "like"???


My comment on the player's setup menus comes from reading a review of the DV10 and it mentioned it comes with factory settings for projector portion and separate settings for DVD playback... thinking there might be something there? Here's the ProjectorCentral review section on that:


"The DVD player's Setup menu has its own set of basic image adjustments (brightness, contrast, color, tint, sharpness) that are factory optimized for the projector, in addition to the adjustments in the projector menu. However, some users may have their own preference for DVD playback that differs from their preferences for other sources, so Optoma left the option open to adjust the DVD player's output settings as well."

wajo I used a Maxell DVD-RW and dubbed a short recording of a movie in each of the modes SPP, LP and EP and finalized. Also used a TDK DVD+RW in LP not finalized.

They all played sound on the DV 10 but no video. I tried 16:9, 4:3 and LBX; also set the projector on NTSC, PAL and Auto. Doesn't help. Just in case my projector was not working right I put a commercial DVD in it and it worked fine. A bit frustrating.

Stressbox
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,613

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressbox /forum/post/14606386


wajo I used a Maxell DVD-RW and dubbed a short recording of a movie in each of the modes SPP, LP and EP and finalized. Also used a TDK DVD+RW in LP not finalized.

They all played sound on the DV 10 but no video. I tried 16:9, 4:3 and LBX; also set the projector on NTSC, PAL and Auto. Doesn't help. Just in case my projector was not working right I put a commercial DVD in it and it worked fine. A bit frustrating.

Stressbox

More than a bit... very strange!


Dumb question... the DVDs do play video in the Philips?


If you can spare a -R disc, at least give that a try since now we're grasping at straws? Maybe also record a short segment directly to a -RW rather than dub to eliminate the dub process as the culprit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Just recorded a part of the ballgame direct to a Sony DVD-R and finalized it. It doesn't play on the DV 10 -- and there is no sound.

I tried it on the computer and it plays fine.

Stressbox
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,617
This one's a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess):


Your comment that the -R "didn't play" jogged a cog and I'm wondering if the DV10 has a setting like the 3576 does for "Parental Lock" or similar. With that lock, a DVD isn't supposed to play.


Normally, discs have to be "set" with lock level codes the player can respond to, but I'm wondering if the DV10 might be accidentally set for some sort of "lock" or "V-chip" feature, which all the other discs that work didn't have, of course, but it does see something in the disc from the 3576 it interprets as a "lock." If it did have a lock or V-chip set, turning that OFF is the ticket.

* * * * ** * * * * *


Failing that, one thing that might be interesting to try.


There's a SKIP code that does a "Manufacturer's Adjustment" for -R and +R discs. I've run it several times and it appears to be "harmless" but it just might do something for your situation. I can't guarantee anything but my tests showed no apparent harm to MY DVDR.


AFAIK, I'm the only one who's used this procedure on a 3575.


If you want to try it, the simple procedure is here, SKIP-9-8-7 .


On your 3576, if anything looks different than as described in the procedure, I wouldn't proceed... should be the same for a 3575 or 3576, tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Have to say you're never at a loss for ideas. Checked the set up menu of the DV 10 and it has a "rating" setting and it is set at "view all" -- the alternatives are not "clickable".


I'll try the skip thing but I'm out of plus discs so I'll have to borrow one from my neighbor. When doing this do you press" "skip" and the numbers in order or do you have dashes in between? Then press "ok"?

Stressbox
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,256 Posts
Well, I made the trip to Sam's Club and picked up the 3576. It has a May 19, 2008 build date.


Here is the "skip 123" info:


Model name: E2H40UD

DTV-S version: 0x90

FE Version: R40_026_000

BE Version: HD4P3374EH1E

TT Version" T4015RDU

DV Unique ID: 00903E4C 53E26945

LD Adjustment: OK

Disc Adjustment: OK


Right off the bat, after I hooked it up in my system, I had problems. After a channel scan, with it set for cable analog and digital, it failed to pick up most of the QAM digital channels that I can get on my Mits TV and my Panasonic EZ28 DVD recorder. I have Comcast extended basic cable, and both my Mits TV and my Panasonic EZ28 pick up a slew of local and cable only digital channels.


OK, since I had the signal split, but with with an in-line signal amplifier, I figured that the signal strength might be to low for the Philips to pick up the digital channels. So I reconfigured the hook up and took the splitter out of the circuit. I connected the Philips first after the signal amp, and the Mits TV after the Philips. This should give the Philips the highest possible signal strength.


Short answer -- the philips still did not pick up more than a couple of digital channels. In fact it did not pick up channels that it did after the first channel scan.



OK, any ideas out there? It looks that the digital tuner on this Philips is defective. The question is whether the digital tuner in THIS recorder is defective, or whether it is faulty on the entire recorder line.


The way I see it, I have 2 choices: (1) return the recorder as defective and get a replacement, or (2) give up on the philips and return the recorder for a refund.


Do I have a chance of getting a recorder with a functional digital tuner if I opt for a replacement, or is this a hopeless task and I should just get my money back?


What say ye?


Thanks.
 
1601 - 1620 of 28067 Posts
Top