16981 - 17000 of 28067 Posts

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNews /forum/post/21250183

515H HS dubbing not in HQ?

looked for info on this issue elsewhere in this Forum, but not finding any, I'd like to ask it here, and hope someone has an answer/guidance.

Several times now, I have recorded a program on the HDD in HQ mode, most recently one that ran 52:00 when edited. I then set it up to dub to DVD via the dubbing menu, adding the program to the list, starting the dubbing, and choosing HS. All the speed modes were available, and I assumed that 52 minutes would easily fit on a blank DVD in HQ mode, and the HS dubbing would burn it to the disc in HQ.

This does not appear to be the case. When the dub finished, and the disc menu appeared, it showed the program on disc, with a blank space of 1:08:00 remaining. In the upper right corner, the screen read "SP." WTF? Why did the machine not dub the program to disc in HQ, and show an 08:00 space remaining?

The PQ appeared to be decent, but it seems like the machine is HS dubbing a 52:00 HQ mode program onto a blank DVD in SP mode. Nothing in the manual or here says that material recorded in HQ mode requires a RTD, rather than a HSD... Is there something I'm not aware of?

In the Dubbing menu, you say all the speeds are available. Does that include HIGH? And did you click on the all-white-highlighted HIGH?

The "SP" in the upper right of a disc menu is just the current default rec mode you've got set. Look at the 1st line of the DVD's generic title(s) which shows the rec mode of each title on the DVD (if you haven't already customized it).

Also, you can tell when a dub is going HS cuz it goes faster and you'll be able to change channels and watch TV normally. A RTD occupies the screen. several other way to ID the dub type, like custom chapter marks retained.

P.S. Off-topic. Someone had asked me to start entering a Title when posting. This is the main reason I don't and won't... post Titles don't transfer to the Quoted post in a reply. I've seen many posts where the KEY info was in the post Title and, w/o it, the rest of the post made little sense or was very "obscure." You have to read most or all of the post BEFORE you can figure out the main point.

Better to put a title above the text of the post so it's integrated.

Not picking on MrNews here... cool your jets... just an FYI based on an example after seeing MANY other posters with post Titles!

·
Registered
5,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNews /forum/post/21250183

When the dub finished, and the disc menu appeared, it showed the program on disc, with a blank space of 1:08:00 remaining. In the upper right corner, the screen read "SP." WTF? Why did the machine not dub the program to disc in HQ, and show an 08:00 space remaining?

The SP in the top right corner of the DVD title screen is just showing you what your default record quality setting happens to be. It has nothing to do with the HSD quality setting. Exit the DVD title screen and change the setting to HQ with the Rec Mode button, then go back in the DVD title menu. It'll probably show only about 34 minutes remaining in the Empty Title. That sounds about right for the letterboxed recordings I do from my cable box. The black borders seem to save disc space.

·
Registered
49 Posts
HS HDD-->DVD not dubbing in HQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F /forum/post/21250305

The SP in the top right corner of the DVD title screen is just showing you what your default record quality setting happens to be. It has nothing to do with the HSD quality setting. Exit the DVD title screen and change the setting to HQ with the Rec Mode button, then go back in the DVD title menu. It'll probably show only about 34 minutes remaining in the Empty Title.

Thanks! I thought it might be something like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/21250239

The "SP" in the upper right of a disc menu is just the current default rec mode you've got set. Look at the 1st line of the DVD's generic title(s) which shows the rec mode of each title on the DVD []

P.S. Off-topic.

Better to put a title above the text of the post so it's integrated.

Not picking on MrNews here... cool your jets... just an FYI based on an example after seeing MANY other posters with post Titles!

Got it, thanks!

P.S. None taken, good idea. See above.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugwump /forum/post/21249501

Here's what I've got:

4.1, 4.2, 5.1, 5.2, 7.1, 7.2, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 11.1, 12.2, 13.1, 13.2, 15.1, 16.1, 20.1, 22.1, 22.3, 24.1, 28.1, 32.1, 32.2, 32.2, 32.6, 32.7, 34.7, 36.7, 36.8, 37.4, 44.2, 44.3, 51.1, 60.2, (seven music channels 67.11 - 67.18), 74.2, 79.1, 79.2, 79.3, 79.4, 79.5, 79.6, 79.7, 79.8, 80.1, 80.2, 80.3, 80.4, 80.5, 80.6, 80.7, 80.13, 109.11, (music channels 109.12 - 109.18), 115.1, 115.2, 117.1, 117.2, 117.3, 117.4, 117.5, 117.6, 117.7, 117.8, 117.9, 117.10

These are all digital channels. The 515 has a strange hybrid tuner, and you have to use the DTV/TV button (top row of the remote) to switch between digital and analog. Make sure you set it to analog to search for analog channels. I have Time Warner rather than Comcast, but most of my extended basic cable channels are only available in analog, I think.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/21250436

Excellent!

Nit: I wouldn't center the title.

Agreed. I didn't see the centered title until you said to "see above."
With my 24" widescreen monitor set to 1920x1080 the centered title was 8" away from the left side of the paragraph.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugwump /forum/post/21249501

It's especially frustrating since Comcast has a monopoly in my area - I believe the only alternatives are Dish/Direct TV, and I'm sure they're no better, perhaps worse (although I'd gleefully switch if they were better - are they?).

I'm very happy with my Dish Network setup, and even I hear DirecTV has a whole-house DVR solution, but I can't post from experience about them. I currently have one Dish DVR (model 722k) feeding 2 TVs, 1 in HD, the other in SD. It is a dual-tuner DVR, so I can record 2 satellite channels at once, AND it has an optional OTA tuner module that when an OTA antenna is hooked up to it, can tune 2 additional OTA channels, allowing for 4 channels to be recorded at once (but no more than 2 satellite channels or 2 OTA channels at once.

I use my 515/3576 for offloading titles from my Dish DVR and edit them for DVD archiving.

Since this is getting off-topic to this thread, if you want more information of why many feel that Dish/Direct is better than Comcrap, and get more details on your options, see the knowledgeable people at http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php

·
Registered
8,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal /forum/post/21251171

These are all digital channels. The 515 has a strange hybrid tuner, and you have to use the DTV/TV button (top row of the remote) to switch between digital and analog. Make sure you set it to analog to search for analog channels. I have Time Warner rather than Comcast, but most of my extended basic cable channels are only available in analog, I think.

It's easy to test with the digital tuner on your Sony. On my cable feed any channel with only three or less subchannels is HD. One exception is PBS, but they have no money. My SD channels are packed 10 subchannels to a major channel. Even with DTV, a channel is still 6Mhz like was 50 years ago. Music channels are packed (compressed) even more. I didn't want to get up the hopes of our buddy, but I'm pretty confident he will find more HD channels if he gets a tuner without the switch. The Magnavox display button doesn't show the resolution of the viewed content, only the output. Please correct me if I am wrong, or I can see what's coming in via another method. I never pretend to know everything. There is always room to learn. Channel 6 is still channel 6, even after the digital conversion. Your Sony's display button shows you what it is being fed. It will say NTSC (analog) or the digital resolution (480i through 1080p).

TWC seems to be the leader in SDV conversion. I feel for you.

I never knew that WPVI means Philly 6. Perhaps WPIX means "something" 9? You never know what useless information you can find on the internet.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16,989

A couple of interesting Yr-Yr stats on Funai sales of DVD and BRD recorders:

Product1st Qtr %2nd Qtr %
DVDR-16.7+1.6
BRD+138.3+111.5

A small increase in DVDR sales, but HUGE since it's the first uptick since 2007! Here's hoping Funai sees a significance in the DIRECTION of sales, not just the size of the increase!?

DVD players and "other" AV down 12-50%.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OTA digital tuner sensitivity

I finally solved my analog cable picture quality issues w/ component video cables and a better TV. So, it was time to check out the OTA reception and PQ. With my rat shack rabbit ears connected to my govt. coupon digital/analog converter box connected to my TV, I can receive 24 channels with the antenna placed on a window sill pointed roughly in the direction of the majority of transmitters in my area. When I connected the same antenna to the 515 and placed it in the same area, I can receive only 8 channels...WTH!

I tried moving the antenna around, and even got the old compass out to try and fine tune the reception. No luck. While the converter box would show a weaker partially pixelated signal, the 515 only seems to display a picture with a strong full signal. This makes fine tuning the antenna difficult. I'm assuming there is no way to reduce the tuner sensitivity and display an image with a weaker signal. The performance of the 515's tuner is disappointing to say the least. Why would Funai/Magnavox saddle such a great feature filled unit with a less than stellar tuner? Has anyone else had an experience with a 515 tuner that didn't compare well with other tuners?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16,991

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmtn /forum/post/21251862

I finally solved my analog cable picture quality issues w/ component video cables and a better TV. So, it was time to check out the OTA reception and PQ. With my rat shack rabbit ears connected to my govt. coupon digital/analog converter box connected to my TV, I can receive 24 channels with the antenna placed on a window sill pointed roughly in the direction of the majority of transmitters in my area. When I connected the same antenna to the 515 and placed it in the same area, I can receive only 8 channels...WTH!

I tried moving the antenna around, and even got the old compass out to try and fine tune the reception. No luck. While the converter box would show a weaker partially pixelated signal, the 515 only seems to display a picture with a strong full signal. This makes fine tuning the antenna difficult. I'm assuming there is no way to reduce the tuner sensitivity and display an image with a weaker signal. The performance of the 515's tuner is disappointing to say the least. Why would Funai/Magnavox saddle such a great feature filled unit with a less than stellar tuner? Has anyone else had an experience with a 515 tuner that didn't compare well with other tuners?

The amp'd coax circuit of the Mag may need attenuation. You could try the "hang-by-a-thread" test or connect the antenna coax to a splitter with one leg out to the Mag. Scan that way and see if any diff.

·
Registered
8,819 Posts

Quote:

Previous posts seem to indicate the tuner is quite good. Perhaps you can post the numbers using the Display button? Few digital TV's show signal strength but most show SNR or AGC. My 515H has a 92-96 and a TV SNR of about 36. How does that compare to yours? Since I'm cable only, I don't have multipath issues. I do have an outdoor FM antenna that gets a lot of reflections.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be /forum/post/21251392

I'm very happy with my Dish Network setup, and even I hear DirecTV has a whole-house DVR solution, but I can't post from experience about them...

I use my 515/3576 for offloading titles from my Dish DVR and edit them for DVD archiving...

Since this is getting off-topic to this thread, if you want more information of why many feel that Dish/Direct is better than Comcrap, and get more details on your options, see the knowledgeable people at http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum.php

Thanks for the above and for the link. I have not yet explored Dish/Direct as an option, but I will definitely be investigating them. A cursory look suggests that they're no more expensive (probably cheaper) than Comcast, and get better consumer reviews (wouldn't take much!).

dare2be, can you clarify the above about your workflow for archiving? How exactly do you get files off the Dish DVR for archiving? I see a reference in their PDF spec sheet about attaching an external hard drive but I'd be interested in connecting it to another DVR (either my new Mag 515 or perhaps my old Panny DMR-EH50) - what options are there for output connectivity?

My goal is to do programmed recordings, and be able to archive content to DVDs. I assume that no Dish/Direct TV DVR includes a DVD burner (perish the thought!) so would need to keep either my new Mag 515 or perhaps my old Panny DMR-EH50 to use as a disc-burner. But I'm unclear on how you get stuff off your 722k?

Also, do you get point-and-click program recording with Dish? I really miss the TVGuide OnScreen service (Comcast killed that).

Thanks.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugwump /forum/post/21252140

dare2be, can you clarify the above about your workflow for archiving? How exactly do you get files off the Dish DVR for archiving? I see a reference in their PDF spec sheet about attaching an external hard drive but I'd be interested in connecting it to another DVR (either my new Mag 515 or perhaps my old Panny DMR-EH50) - what options are there for output connectivity?

Nothing that fancy...just a S-Video+L/R audio out from the Dish DVR to the L1 input to the Mag. Play my recordings on the Dish DVR and manually record to the Mag. Their External HDD solution is only for expanding the Dish DVR's internal HDD capacity. Can't be used on any other device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugwump /forum/post/21252140

Also, do you get point-and-click program recording with Dish? I really miss the TVGuide OnScreen service (Comcast killed that).

Yes, point-and-click program guide, but I rarely even use that, as their "Dish Pass" timers are how I get most of my content. Enter keywords or titles, and it will record anything with those keywords, and you can filter by channel or have it search all channels.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be /forum/post/21252384

Nothing that fancy...just a S-Video+L/R audio out from the Dish DVR to the L1 input to the Mag. Play my recordings on the Dish DVR and manually record to the Mag. Their External HDD solution is only for expanding the Dish DVR's internal HDD capacity. Can't be used on any other device.

Ah - so no high-speed dubbing from the Dish DVR to your Mag - any transfers there have to be done in real time, right? Can you then burn a DVD in the mag at high speed, or does that need to be done in real time too? Either way, that definitely would make one more selective in choosing how much you wanted to offload. Still, it *does* provide the option I'm looking for (albeit slowly and somewhat inefficiently - but I can probably live with slow-and-inefficient....right now I'm living with can't-do-it-at-all which is annoying).

Do *all* their DVRs have the S-Video+L/R audio out ports, or just some? Would I be correct to assume these are these secondary output ports - that is, you don't need to disconnect/reconnect cabling (switching from a single set of ports that usually go to your TV) every time you want to archive something to the Mag, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be /forum/post/21252384

Yes, point-and-click program guide, but I rarely even use that, as their "Dish Pass" timers are how I get most of my content. Enter keywords or titles, and it will record anything with those keywords, and you can filter by channel or have it search all channels.

Both sound good, actually. Do you recall how many days ahead does their program guide show? I liked planning recordings once a week, so having a full 7 or 8 day window would be ideal.

Many thanks - this is very helpful.

·
Registered
614 Posts

Quote:

(...)

The performance of the 515's tuner is disappointing to say the least. Why would Funai/Magnavox saddle such a great feature filled unit with a less than stellar tuner? Has anyone else had an experience with a 515 tuner that didn't compare well with other tuners?

Yes, for OTA the tuners aren't quite good. You can try to connect your govt. coupon digital/analog converter box rightly to the Magnavox, just like a Satellite tuner.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be /forum/post/21251392

I'm very happy with my Dish Network setup, and even I hear DirecTV has a whole-house DVR solution, but I can't post from experience about them. I currently have one Dish DVR (model 722k) feeding 2 TVs, 1 in HD, the other in SD. It is a dual-tuner DVR, so I can record 2 satellite channels at once, AND it has an optional OTA tuner module that when an OTA antenna is hooked up to it, can tune 2 additional OTA channels, allowing for 4 channels to be recorded at once (but no more than 2 satellite channels or 2 OTA channels at once.

I use my 515/3576 for offloading titles from my Dish DVR and edit them for DVD archiving.

One other place to look is www.dbstalk.com

If you only need one Dual DVR Dish is definitely cheaper. Get a VIP 622/722/722K or VIP 922. The 922 comes with built in Sling adapter.

I believe the current promotion will get you free platinum HD with free 1 disc at a time BlockBuster by mail with in store return and swap if that is of interest.

I had DirecTv, I have Dish and I also use a Magnavox 515 with Basic cable.

One thing to remember is Both Satellite services have a 2 year commitment with a Early Termination Fee (Prorated)

·
Registered
567 Posts
slugwump, quick answers to your questions:

Dish has a 9-day guide, so that would work for you.

Yes, I HSD to DVD after manually copying from the dish DVR to the Mag. It doesn't seem cumbersome to me as I only copy what I plan to archive, whether it's clips, program segments, or entire titles. Long sporting events I'll start the copy before bed using a 3-hour instant timer on the Mag, and then edit the next day on the Mag.

Dish's modern DVRs (622/722/722k/922) all have HDMI, Component and S-Video/Composite outputs, and all are active at the same time...so My TV is hooked up to HDMI, and my Mag is connected to S-Video (and then Component from the Mag to the TV). A simple source change on the TV from HDMI to Component allows me to select between the two.

The only other cons about satellite I should mention in addition to what TBone said, is that very heavy rain or accumulated show on the dish will cause temporary outages. But they are infrequent enough to not be a show-stopper for me.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat /forum/post/21253060

Yes, for OTA the tuners aren't quite good. You can try to connect your govt. coupon digital/analog converter box rightly to the Magnavox, just like a Satellite tuner.

My Mag recorder tuners can pick up everything my Insignia CECBs can.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

Quote:

When comcast did us in (removing most channels that I used to get perfectly via QAM) I was very upset because I couldn't watch and record simultaneously... but I still have multiple recorders hooked up -- one to a dedicated cable box for the HD and digital cable, one using a split arm of the cable coax to the antenna in of the maggie, so its tuner picks up the standard local channels ( abc, nbc, cbs, pbs, etc), and the tv itself is hooked up to an over the air antenna in the window (we dont have a roof antenna, but I've found I can get pretty good reception on a few over the air stations.) That doesn't give me the recording flexibility I had before, but if you plan things, you can at least record one 'cable only' show, one 'regular' show, and still watch the over the air stations on the tv. Now and then I forget which is which and end up recording blank air from the unplugged tuner in the 515, but for the most part, it's a little better than no alternative choices when it comes to scheduling.

Also, if you cant resolve the signal issue with your antenna to magnavox, you could also connect the converter box to one of the magnavox inputs and record from there (as mentioned above). That would be especially good if you have one of the models that lets you schedule multiple channel changes in advance. MY mag tuner picks up everything the cable converter box does (and the tv does) but sometimes on slightly different sub-channel numbers, so be sure to scan twice -- sometimes these tuners have a learning curve.

I'm surprised you 're getting a partially obscured signal -- usually digital is all or nothing - when the signal poops out, the screen displays an unavailable channel message.... it's not like the old days when you could wiggle the rabbit ears for distant, fuzzy channels.

16981 - 17000 of 28067 Posts