AVS Forum banner

17441 - 17460 of 28067 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/21385094

I will try it with the 515H. When I scheduled at 61 minute recording directly to DVD+RW on my 2160A, it went to the HDD. Maybe things have changed.

But with 50hrs at HQ, it's no big thing now. It will be a sad day when the 515H is no longer available. It's really a value.

I think this recorder is excellent, could do a bit better on the menu's but for it offers, there are few drawbacks.

I am going to put the Panny ez-28 on Ebay along with the ram disks!

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,442

Quote:

I will try it with the 515H. When I scheduled at 61 minute recording directly to DVD+RW on my 2160A, it went to the HDD. Maybe things have changed.

But with 50hrs at HQ, it's no big thing now. It will be a sad day when the 515H is no longer available. It's really a value.

Hmmm, 61 minutes should have been OK, as long as there really was that time remaining on that DVD... was it new/blank? I think my tests were on -R discs on my trusty old 3575 test-bed... have to do some more tests... Oh, boy!

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,443

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/21385295

Hmmm, 61 minutes should have been OK, as long as there really was that time remaining on that DVD... was it new/blank? I think my tests were on -R discs on my trusty old 3575 test-bed... have to do some more tests... Oh, boy!

Before, I must not have noticed that a timer rec to DVD for more than the normal RTD time would revert immediately to the HDD... couldn't get a timer rec to "go long" on a -RW or a -R... have to delete "timer recording" from the help file... until further notice.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts

Quote:

Well, it's a simple test. Schedule anything for 61 minutes HQ to a DVR+RW and see if it works. Probably same with DVD-RW, but I never tested that.

Funny story. I would get a new DVD-RAM. In the EZ28K I would do a low level format. Then I would go to my Toshiba RX-50 and make a 65 minute 9.2 Mbs recording. Then I would erase the recording and the result is a DVD-RAM that holds 65 minutes. I don't know enough to explain why it works, but it always does. Even a low-level (40 minutes) format on the RX-50 would indicate 60 minutes space until after I made a 65 minute recording. The RX-50 has an analog tuner, but I would feed it from digital tuners.

And then I found the Sony DHG and 2160A.

·
Registered
614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234 /forum/post/21383109

I want to have many case test result.

Is there anybody help us this Beta testing?

Sorry I can't, but I'm sure you'll get some volunteers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt404 /forum/post/21383265

I've had two of these units for about a year and a few months. One of them has been rock solid - the other developed the following symptoms after about 10 months:

(...)

Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, particularly with navigating the parts ordering process.

As you said, you will need to replace the burner. There's nothing more to do... except to check for a loose/damaged cable near the pick-up.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts

Quote:

61 minutes reminaing in the opinion of what? The 2160A says an erased DVD+RW has 60 minutes free. Ok, no problem. But then you do the math, and I get quotes about a spec. That's OK too. I just don't know how to fit, in HQ, more than 60 minutes on a DVD-RW or DVD+RW. You write the 60 minutes and have a "free" space. This free space only exists after using the first 60 minutes. Spec may be right, but it is rather odd.

We've been here before and it's not high on my priority list. With all the storage on a 515H, a DVD is a device for those who want to archive titles for the future. Not my thing, but I understand the purpose.

As for DVD-RAM, one thing does stand out: the skip function. It's almost as good as an HDD. With a +RW or -RW, it can be frustrating.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/21386272

As for DVD-RAM, one thing does stand out: the skip function. It's almost as good as an HDD. With a +RW or -RW, it can be frustrating.

Don't forget chase play. That's the reason that I bought DVD-RAM discs.

·
Registered
11,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/21385509

Funny story. I would get a new DVD-RAM. In the EZ28K I would do a low level format. Then I would go to my Toshiba RX-50 and make a 65 minute 9.2 Mbs recording. Then I would erase the recording and the result is a DVD-RAM that holds 65 minutes. I don't know enough to explain why it works, but it always does. Even a low-level (40 minutes) format on the RX-50 would indicate 60 minutes space until after I made a 65 minute recording. The RX-50 has an analog tuner, but I would feed it from digital tuners...

A similar odd thing but if I "prep" a DVD(any type) in my EZ-28(record a 5 second EP8 title and then delete it) if I then put that DVD in one of my older ES or EH series Panasonics, I get 1:04 min XP or 2:09 min SP of direct to DVD recording

Now that I know the trick I "prep" all my direct burn DVDs in my EZ-28 and only do the actual recording on my ES series machines(you don't get the extra time actually recording on the EZ-28).

Another very handy result of prepping the DVDs is using FR, it totally fills the disc(4409MB) instead of the normal 4000MB file for FR.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/21386342

A similar odd thing but if I "prep" a DVD(any type) in my EZ-28(record a 5 second EP8 title and then delete it) if I then put that DVD in one of my older ES or EH series Panasonics, I get 1:04 min XP or 2:09 min SP of direct to DVD recording

Now that I know the trick I "prep" all my direct burn DVDs in my EZ-28 and only do the actual recording on my ES series machines(you don't get the extra time actually recording on the EZ-28).

Another very handy result of prepping the DVDs is using FR, it totally fills the disc(4409MB) instead of the normal 4000MB file for FR.

I know. The DVD-RAM is a DVD of another color. But that's what I missed when buying my 2160A. Since I was used to saving to DVD, I picked up on the difference quickly. It's not so important with 500GB. I don't have that many DVD-RAM disks. And you can't walk into most stores to buy them.

I find it cute that the Magnavox doesn't give you an error. It just blinks the red LED and puts the title on the HDD. That's nice. Almost friendly.

To get the 65 minutes on the EZ28, I used the RX-50 to make a 65 minute recording, which the EZ28 would then accept as disk space. Probably would work on your ES series too.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpl /forum/post/21382876

I set the skip on some shows, and a few of them disappeared from the timer.

I've had the same thing happen to me... on a V2160A...

Set a scheduled recording to skip a week...

After the scheduled recording skips that week, that particular scheduled recording timer gets deleted...

I've also had all my scheduled recording timers get deleted after scanning both OTA and Cable channels...

Kind of a pain...

·
Registered
8,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/21385418

Before, I must not have noticed that a timer rec to DVD for more than the normal RTD time would revert immediately to the HDD... couldn't get a timer rec to "go long" on a -RW or a -R... have to delete "timer recording" from the help file... until further notice.

I'm really sorry to open this can of worms again. It's noteworthy but not as important as having the pesky analog lockup fixed for the cable people. My units have never locked up despite many attempts to duplicate the issue. As for history:

8/24/2010:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post19096742

·
Registered
139 Posts
Now that my 515 is up and running, I have a question. I have the 515 hooked with both the composite out and the HDMI. When i am watching a channel through the 515, it appears that the composite picture is better then the hdmi picture, which is grainier. I have changed the rgb to cbyr but composite is just better. Is the way it should be?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,453

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfornario /forum/post/21389028

Now that my 515 is up and running, I have a question. I have the 515 hooked with both the composite out and the HDMI. When i am watching a channel through the 515, it appears that the composite picture is better then the hdmi picture, which is grainier. I have changed the rgb to cbyr but composite is just better. Is the way it should be?

That's the way mine is, which I attribute to preserving the composite cable feed I receive all the way to the HDTV w/o conversion and loss of PQ, and my HDTV can use its better circuits/filters to convert to its native 1080p format.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/21389091

That's the way mine is, which I attribute to preserving the composite cable feed I receive all the way to the HDTV w/o conversion and loss of PQ, and my HDTV can use its better circuits/filters to convert to its native 1080p format.

My tv only goes to 1080i which is what the HDMI is in.The mag is is coverted to 480i(it says on the screen) but looks better...odd!

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfornario /forum/post/21389518

My tv only goes to 1080i which is what the HDMI is in.The mag is is coverted to 480i(it says on the screen) but looks better...odd!

Your's is an even "purer" conversion than mine... no convert to progressive!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/21389631

Your's is an even "purer" conversion than mine... no convert to progressive!

All HD TVs are progressive, 1080i simply means that it can't accept a 1080p input signal. All content is deinterlaced to "p" before it is displayed. Prior to BluRay there was no 1080p input. The ATSC spec doesn't define it even though it does define and mandate 18 other display formats. To be able to be called a TV the Feds say the device has to have a tuner, accept, and display all 18, up conversion and down conversion is allowed.

·
Registered
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro_Stormy /forum/post/21387255

Set a scheduled recording to skip a week...

After the scheduled recording skips that week, that particular scheduled recording timer gets deleted...

This happens on my 515. So what I do now is that if something is pre-empted this Monday, I change the recording date to next week Monday's date. Once this Monday passes, I can change it back to every Monday. (Else if I forget, it will record next Monday and disappear from the timers.) I usually do all my programming adjustments every Sunday so i don't forget.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPlay /forum/post/21390077

This happens on my 515. So what I do now is that if something is pre-empted this Monday, I change the recording date to next week Monday's date. Once this Monday passes, I can change it back to every Monday. (Else if I forget, it will record next Monday and disappear from the timers.) I usually do all my programming adjustments every Sunday so i don't forget.

Why
Doesn't the skip button work?????????

·
Registered
139 Posts
One other question...can i use a CD to make the FW disc? I am not installing it yet but want it handy in case i might. Also, would i use this update if i have a problem with the skip option in the menu.

Thanks again for all the help. this is by far and away the most help forum out there!!!!

·
Registered
8,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfornario /forum/post/21390355

One other question...can i use a CD to make the FW disc? I am not installing it yet but want it handy in case i might. Also, would i use this update if i have a problem with the skip option in the menu.

Thanks again for all the help. this is by far and away the most help forum out there!!!!

CD-R works fine. I've made them with Windows and Nero Burning ROM.

17441 - 17460 of 28067 Posts