AVS Forum banner

1801 - 1820 of 28067 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
wajo -- great detective work on the 093 tuner!

Would suppose a firmware upgrade, if ever provided, technically couldn't upgrade the tuner?

I would like to have a back up unit to my 3576 and in view of the scarcity of these things am considering doing that soon, a Mag 2160 which seems to be the only real alternative. This brings up the question of whether the 2160 Mag tuner is equivalent to the Phillips 093. Wonder if anyone knows this? Believe you asked whether the skip codes worked on the 2160 but I don't recall your receiving a reply.

Stressbox (DV10)

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,802
overstressedbox, yes I think Rickie (?) confirmed the SKIP 1 2 3 code works to bring up the FW screen for the Mag H2160. (If 0x93 is the tuner, the FW that operates it is the FE (Front-End), and they have upgraded that also in the 3576... from R40_014_000 or _016_ to R40_026_000.)

In fact, I'm glad you mentioned that since I'd like someone to post what the FW Version screen of the H2160 shows again... hugemoth did this before but it was lost in the great crash of 08.

If any volunteers, here's the help file for SKIP 1 2 3 , but it's basically press those buttons rapidly, then read the grey screen that pops up. Back out with the H2160's RETURN button (not OK).

·
Registered
337 Posts
The UPS guy delivered my Magnavox 2160 today.

The skip 123 information from my unit.

Model E2M01UD

DT-S Version 0X14

FE Version R50_011_000

BE Version HD5A23370H1E

TT Version [email protected]

If there is a manufacture date on the box it's covered up by one of the shipping labels.

I would like to thank everyone in this thread for the great information. I saw the Philips 3576 at Sam's and went looking for more information about it. Google led me to this site. Bought the Philips a few weeks ago. I liked it so much I ordered the Magnavox too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
wajo: Just checking for DVR availability. Walmart no longer shows either the 3576 or the 2160 as available. The Phillips' website store shows the 3576 out of stock. Sam's shows the 3576 available.

Where can we get these things? Both of these units are relatively new and yet unavailable except in Sam's case. Do we smell media influence?

Stressed stressbox

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi Wajo - Thanks very much for including the information on this forum about the Mag 2160. I'd been wondering what to do when my Lite-On 9106 combi-recorder craps out. The Lite-On tuner is on its last legs with both the picture and sound fading sloooowwwwly away. Of course the tuner wasn't any good in the first place, being MONO (grrrr!!!).

I've had my Philips 3575H since August 2007 and absolutely love it. After reading your note that the 3575 and the 2106 would play nicely together (unique remote codes) I finally decided to order one before they were all gone.

Anyway, I ordered my 2160 on 9//23/08 and should have it by the 29th or 30th via UPS and they ARE still in stock at WalMart online for home delivery as of this writing (at least for now!)

I can't thank you enough for all the great, detailed information.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I received the three attenuators I ordered In one week from Home network supply in PA. $1.99 each plus shipping and sales tax less then $11.00. I installed each one at a time, all three (a3db,6dband 10db) together produced a perfect picture on the problem channels but killed two other channels- blue screen. using the 6db and 10db seems to be good all around. a splitter is needed to the tv before the attenuators because the pass through antenna connection from the 3575 now is useless.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,811

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamike /forum/post/14745880

I received the three attenuators I ordered In one week from Home network supply in PA. $1.99 each plus shipping and sales tax less then $11.00. I installed each one at a time, all three (a3db,6dband 10db) together produced a perfect picture on the problem channels but killed two other channels- blue screen. using the 6db and 10db seems to be good all around. a splitter is needed to the tv before the attenuators because the pass through antenna connection from the 3575 now is useless.

Not sure where in the coax chain you installed the attenuators, but it would seem possible to retain all signal passthru if you placed ONE attenuator before the 3575 (on the incoming cable), then see if it needs another after the coax also. I'd think that attenuating the raw incoming signal before it got to the 3575's amplified passthru would help reduce digital signal strength enough that the 3575 could tune all channels OK, then its amp. passthru could build the signal up again for delivery to the TV... or is that how you did it... or maybe it goes blue-screen on the TV's tuner, not the 3575's... don't remember details???

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,813

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,814

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeluvr /forum/post/14747399

careful... their shipping charges are very high.

$12.97 to me... est. UPS shipping charge before putting in my zip to customize was $9.95 apparently from their Clearwater, Floida location.... only $19.97 from Florida to Northern California.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/14747443

Saw the same thing a week or two back. By the next day, it was back in stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subeluvr /forum/post/14747471

Aggree... since Walmart seems to have an edge on everyone else for the Maggie 2160 I'm confident it'll be back in stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 /forum/post/14747485

When the 3575 was released the same thing happened.

No cause for worry.

Hey, just realized the "out-of-stock" then "back-in-stock" before was with the 3576, not the Mag 2160! Could be different this time, being some sort of "exclusive" selling arrangement and all... where else would all the "backup" stock have gone... no other dealers like the 3576! Hopefully, still on that slow boat ... !?

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/14746066

Not sure where in the coax chain you installed the attenuators, but it would seem possible to retain all signal passthru if you placed ONE attenuator before the 3575 (on the incoming cable), then see if it needs another after the coax also. I'd think that attenuating the raw incoming signal before it got to the 3575's amplified passthru would help reduce digital signal strength enough that the 3575 could tune all channels OK, then its amp. passthru could build the signal up again for delivery to the TV... or is that how you did it... or maybe it goes blue-screen on the TV's tuner, not the 3575's... don't remember details???

I had the coax from the wall to a two way splitter one side to tv the other to attenuators then 3575. The tv is perfect on its own. viewing through 3575 via hdmi cable to tv. The passthrough ant. goes to an old analog vcr i think the analog signal is reduced too much not the digital so i inserted a second splitter. the coax now goes from the wall to a splitter one side to tv the other to the second splitter one side through attenuators to 3575 the other to the vcr.

The attenuators I have are 3, 6, and 10db. I found 16bd was only just a little

short of reducing all the noise on the strongest channels and 19db was too much as it killed two of the weaker channels. Using 16db is the best I can do and everything works.

Thanks for all your help, I believe I now have the best possible setup.

1801 - 1820 of 28067 Posts