AVS Forum banner

18281 - 18300 of 28067 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
J&R says they are sold out, but I just placed this order at buy.com:

Magnavox 500GB DVR and DVD Recorder MDR515H - Refurbished

* Marketplace Item -- Shipped by: J&R Music and Computer World

$199.99 - Quantity: 1 - Usually ships in 1 to 2 business days.

Shipping & Handling: FREE

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18,282

Heads-up: People looking for a 515 and disappointed by the current lack of inventory should be aware that the 513 can be made to operate exactly like a 515 with SuperFW 727V Update.

The 513 will have slightly smaller HDD (320GB), 30 sec-2 min. power backup, and diff. remote (which can be purchased separately).

Walmart currently has 623 ea. 513's at $198.

SuperFW 727V Update is here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you for that information. I was too late to get a 515, so my 513 is enroute from Walmart and should arrive Monday. That should give me enough time to get through this thread...

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18,284

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgidurango /forum/post/21547759

Thank you for that information. I was too late to get a 515, so my 513 is enroute from Walmart and should arrive Monday. That should give me enough time to get through this thread...

Congrats! I hope you're starting on pg.1... it'll answer specific questions in a double-indexed manner and save you lots of reading!

·
Registered
8,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgidurango /forum/post/21547759

It's not rocket science to make the disk grow to 500Gb. See post #1. First, see if you fill up your drive. Why make it bigger in you never use the storage?

·
Registered
468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/21546098

There are so many possible causes ("odd" things we would never suspect, like turning off machine with a power strip, coax running thru a power strip surge suppressor fitting, DVDR connected on coax behind a box, and many more)...

Having done my part to promote continued sales of OTA DVRs by purchasing a 513 a few weeks back at Wally World's low, low price, I wanted to thank you, wajo, for all the terrific tips you've posted on this thread, particularly the one about not running the coax downlead through a surge suppressor, which I'd been doing for years. I followed your advice and... Bingo! PQ became noticeably better on both the 513 AND on the (notoriously temperamental and finicky) Panny DMR-EZ475 DVDR/VCR I've had for three years. Wouldn't have known the difference otherwise. Luckily, the 513 didn't suffer any other symptoms prior to applying this workaround.

Add in the firmware update info, the Skip codes, the 11:57 clock procedure - among many other pointers - and this thread is an absolute treasure trove. Thanks again for helping me get the most out of this great machine.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #18,287
Don_M,

It's always refreshing to hear from someone helped by this forum! Some people get good advice here but we never hear from them again.

Thanks for sharing and confirming that every suggestion here might help someone, someday, and sometimes we even hear about it from good people, like you!

·
Registered
97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/21548612

Don_M,

It's so refreshing to hear from someone helped by this forum! Many people get good advice here but we never hear from them again.

Thanks for sharing and confirming that every suggestion here might help someone, someday, and sometimes we even hear about it from good people, like you!

Sorry if I haven't made it more clear, but I want to make it clear that I've been helped by this forum. Let me add my voice here.

·
Registered
8,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV123 /forum/post/21548751

Sorry if I haven't made it more clear, but I want to make it clear that I've been helped by this forum. Let me add my voice here.

I hear a lot of echoes. Imagine how much Funai has saved in 800 calls because the answer has been here. [other comments reserved].

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/21548783

I hear a lot of echoes. Imagine how much Funai has saved in 800 calls because the answer has been here. [other comments reserved].

not to mention all the returns that people didn't make, once they checked here to figure out what was or wasn't happening -- AND all the refurbs that were subsequently purchased by people who otherwise never would have ventured into the used market. This thread has cost me a lot of money (buying multiple units) but I'm NOT complaining
Bottom line, I don't think Funai is losing money on *us*.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/21548257

It's not rocket science to make the disk grow to 500Gb. See post #1. First, see if you fill up your drive. Why make it bigger in you never use the storage?

That is why I am not upset at all about not getting the 515. I think the 513 will fit my needs just fine and I'll save enough to get the "stabilizer" converter from Monoprice mentioned in this thread. Basically, I am hoping to just use the 513 to save various programs stored on my DirecTV HD DVR to DVD and think this is a better way than my old Sony DVDR. If I have misjudged the viability of that due to not finishing this thread, I have other uses for the 513 anyhow. The standard drive will work fine as I am not planning on using it for long term storage at any rate and will just use it a a device to save content to DVD. As always, I appreciate the great information on this site!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I also want to parrot the gratitude being expressed toward wajo and this labor of love thread. You have helped countless people, myself included, countless times, and you continue your unyielding dedication despite these bleak, trying times.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be /forum/post/21549082

i also want to parrot the gratitude being expressed toward wajo and this labor of love thread. You have helped countless people, myself included, countless times, and you continue your unyielding dedication despite these bleak, trying times.

^+1

·
Registered
99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof /forum/post/21546081

I had a 3455 and, while it has no digital tuner, in a lot of ways it's comparable to the 515 and its predecessors. The list of titles stored on the hard drive even has a nicer feature- It can be set to display either chronologically (like the 515) or alphabetically, according to how the titles are...well...titled.

The only problem I had with it was that after a while the drawer began having trouble opening and closing, and that was fixable twice with a simple rubber band replacing the door's drive belt. (There was a thread here for that model, and someone did come up with a source for exact replacements for the belt.)

If your unit works properly, it'll certainly do the job you want it to do.

Plus, if you get an old DTVPal or Zinwell Zat digital converter box, both of those have VCR type timers (not sure of the model number on the Zat) that'll work with the machine's own timer, allowing you to timer record OverTheAir television (in addition to your VCR project).

The one thing I have to warn you is that store-bought tapes will likely have copy-guard of one kind or another. (Sometimes even homemade tapes give a false copy-guard signal.) You might also need a "filter" between the VCR playback unit and the 3455, which Wajo discusses elsewhere on these forums.

Out of curiosity, how much is the 3455 going to cost you?

Thanks for the reply. I was able to buy the 3455H at a Pawn shop for $30.00. I figure for that price if it works for my wife's project it was a good buy. It did not have a remote with it, I am wondering if the remote for the Mag 515 will work with it. If so I will use the Mag remote to learn the commands to a universal remote I have. My Mag 515 I ordered from Walmart on the 20th came in this afternoon, so this weekend I will be busy. Can anyone recommend a good filter to be used with a VCR?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I just ordered a refurb 513 via Amazon.com for $189 delivered, which saves me about $22 plus gas over new from WalMart ship to store, and got super saver shipping on a couple of small items that would have cost more to ship than the items cost, for more net savings, plus still more net savings, because I would have paid the extra $29.88 for the extended warranty if purchased from WalMart.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Jan 20th 515 order has been picked up and sitting on the table

Now I need to decide on the Wally warranty - (V2160A is almost 3 years old and running great) - and if I can convince the CFO a 513 would be another one of my good ideas

+1+ on all the help from the forum!

Z

Just opened it ... model sticker on back reads Sept 2011
Wonder what container at what port this thing has been fermenting in

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1maynard /forum/post/21549172

...It did not have a remote with it, I am wondering if the remote for the Mag 515 will work with it...

Actually, the remote for the two earliest versions of the 515, sold under the Philips name, would work for the most part but not for everything.

The remotes for the Maggies are useless.

Let me see if I can find something for you...

(In the meantime, at this point I wonder if the discussion should move to a different thread, since the 3455 isn't one of the machines this thread is for.)

3455's actual thread- http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...677258&page=31

EDIT:

Try here-
http://www.philips.newremotecontrol....m=242254900971

The remote seems to be an exact match, and it'll cost you nine dollars more than the recorder itself did. Heh!

Oh, the model number for the remote, in case you'd like to look elsewhere, seems to be
PHILIPS 242254900971.

EDIT 2:

Here are other links for the remote, and one's under $30 (but who knows what the shipping is?).
http://www.encompassparts.com/products/?242254900971
http://www.partstore.com/Part/Royal%...aspx?s=froogle
http://www.remotecontrolwarehouse.co...254900971.html

I just put "PHILIPS 242254900971" in as the basis for an internet search, and a lot of possibilities came up. Can't vouch for one above the other, tho'.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
This forum has saved Amazon/Funai two returns from me. Fortunately I came to this forum trying to figure out what recorder to buy and after I bought them, how to make them work. And most importantly, how to work around the freezes I had and finally the firmware that solved it permanently.

This is about the fifth time I've thanked Wajo for this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire /forum/post/21548904

not to mention all the returns that people didn't make, once they checked here to figure out what was or wasn't happening -- AND all the refurbs that were subsequently purchased by people who otherwise never would have ventured into the used market. This thread has cost me a lot of money (buying multiple units) but I'm NOT complaining
Bottom line, I don't think Funai is losing money on *us*.

·
Registered
455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman /forum/post/21545011

They are the newer versions of them yes. I have two 3575 units myself, one works great, the other has the loose digital channels issue that some had here in the states.

I guess Philips jumped out or decided to use the Magnavox name as it's a old TV/Radio type brand from back in the day that Funai or somebody similar bought out.

So what would i need to look for in Australia then? Were/are there any Magnavox or Phillips recorders sold in Australia/ Did we get something equivalent to the 515 here?

I am just not sure on buying US model DVD players because i am not sure on the voltage ratings. i know i could probably change the AC mains cable to suit our wall sockets but we are aorund 220-240V AC but isn't USA's voltage something totally different?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 /forum/post/21550198

Australia... are aorund 220-240V AC but isn't USA's voltage something totally different?
USA is indeed 110v-120v, which our Funais are specifically marked for. In contrast, our PC power supplies usually have a switch to enable use on either 120 or 240, as do various other electrical appliances.

18281 - 18300 of 28067 Posts