AVS Forum banner

19521 - 19540 of 28073 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hello everybody,

First time poster , long time reader. I have searched this thread a few times over the years since before I bought my first H2160mw9. I recently purchased newer units and was having the issues with lockups when powered on in analog tuner mode. Thanks to the contributors to this thread, I am now aware of the steps needed to rectify this issue. I have not implemented the FW update yet, as I am waiting to receive the file to do that. Hopefully that file will soon be public for others having this issue. I will post future progress as it happens.

I have been contacting some of you behind the scenes to gather info and I really do appreciate each and every one who replied to my PM's.

I would like to formally thank wajo for starting this thread and your constant dedication along with helpful advice.

This is a great site for those looking for info on these machines.

Thank you all,

morc258

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
First, I would like to give a big pat on the head to my 515H. It's one year old.

Now I have a bug. It seems to be repeatable and I'm trying to make it a simple test. Here's how it happens.

TVGUIDE.COM has a 15 day guide. TitanTV.COM has a 14 day guide. This means I can see two weeks ahead for shows. The 515H does not have dates like this, so I figured I could enter a title to record on the following week with a weekly frequency, then put a skip for the first week. I did not add a title since I was going back to kill a show on a different channel later, but I had to edit the schedule to add the skip.

I found that after the skip day passed, the skip was still active. Maybe this is the first time I tried this, but I have the same issue with a MON-FRI recording. I am still trying to narrow the conditions, and of course I have used skip without error before. I mention this because I added the 727V update two weeks ago. I am still testing, but this is not a quickly duplicated issue.

·
Registered
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/21760155

I've added that option, but the odds of getting anything NEW on these units are, well, you know.

However, you might be interested in what we're doing in our household for a diff. purpose?

She could Edit > Protect titles after she watches so they'll have a Lock icon on them, indicating them as "New" to you?

We use the Locks once a year to allow us to fill up our HDDs with timer recorded titles we watch only, using HQ rec mode so the HDD gets filled up faster and all bits are used (to prevent constant use of just a portion of the HDDs and possible long-term "bit fade" as described here ).

Anyway, we Protect Titles after we've watched them (a quick process) so we know we can skip them as we go page-to-page on the Title menu using the NEXT/PREV (chapter) buttons.

Once we fill a HDD, we use HDD Menu > Delete All Titles and go back to "normal" use pattern of record-and-Delete.

Again, this is only a once a year or once every 2-year process in our household but the Protect icon might work in your household for your diff. I.D. purpose?

Yeah, I know our wish list items' chances are slim. Anyway, thought I'd share.

Thanks for the little trick on a way to "flag" titles. I'll see how practical that could be for us.

Does "protecting" the titles prevent us from dubbing or playing it on other devices at any point in the future? Not quite familiar with these features yet, only had the Mags for ~2 months now.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxheaven /forum/post/21772603

Yeah, I know our wish list items' chances are slim. Anyway, thought I'd share.

Thanks for the little trick on a way to "flag" titles. I'll see how practical that could be for us.

Does "protecting" the titles prevent us from dubbing or playing it on other devices at any point in the future? Not quite familiar with these features yet, only had the Mags for ~2 months now.

Protecting only prevents Editing and Deleting without specifically selecting Delete All Titles in the Menu > HDD Menu instead of the Delete All Protected Titles option.

Editing will look like it's working but it won't "take." Only for Edit would you need to reverse the Protection in the same Edit > Protect menu.

You can Play, Dub and Finalize normally.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra /forum/post/21772385

First, I would like to give a big pat on the head to my 515H. It's one year old.

Now I have a bug. It seems to be repeatable and I'm trying to make it a simple test. Here's how it happens.

TVGUIDE.COM has a 15 day guide. TitanTV.COM has a 14 day guide. This means I can see two weeks ahead for shows. The 515H does not have dates like this, so I figured I could enter a title to record on the following week with a weekly frequency, then put a skip for the first week. I did not add a title since I was going back to kill a show on a different channel later, but I had to edit the schedule to add the skip.

I found that after the skip day passed, the skip was still active. Maybe this is the first time I tried this, but I have the same issue with a MON-FRI recording. I am still trying to narrow the conditions, and of course I have used skip without error before. I mention this because I added the 727V update two weeks ago. I am still testing, but this is not a quickly duplicated issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV /forum/post/21668942

Skip now permanent?

I thought the skip check came off after missing one recording? I just noticed that a recording that I had set for skip several weeks ago is still in my timer program list, still with the check and hasn't recorded since I set it for skip. It was a once a week recording. A late software update? ( I got a beta firmware update a while back.) Not complaining because I like it this way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV /forum/post/21686736

As I posted a few days ago, the skip feature on my unit is different now. If you check it, it now stays checked until you uncheck it. It could be that this is in the latest software version. I have a version supplied by 124 that cured the freeze issues that some of us were having. Perhaps this skip feature change was put into that.

Did you upgrade with the beta FW?

Looks like BIGA$$TV has the same symptom after he installed the beta.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by morc258 /forum/post/21772920

Did you upgrade with the beta FW?

Looks like BIGA$$TV has the same symptom after he installed the beta.

That would explain the problem. I guess "skip" should be considered "disable" with 727V. That's ok with me actually. My Sony works that way, but it is called "disable" and there is no "skip".

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just received my refurbed 515 from J&R yesterday. It has a Sept. 2011 date and 727V FW.

I wrote yesterday about my four month old 515 with the 726 FW and if I should update it. I have not played enough with the new one to find any differences yet. The first one has worked perfectly so I probably won't risk changing it. What's the main differences between them?

·
Registered
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/21772691

Protecting only prevents Editing and Deleting without specifically selecting Delete All Titles in the Menu > HDD Menu instead of the Delete All Protected Titles option.

Editing will look like it's working but it won't "take." Only for Edit would you need to reverse the Protection in the same Edit > Protect menu.

You can Play, Dub and Finalize normally.

Nice, thanks for the help, once again

·
Registered
122 Posts
System would not let me multi-quote but the response below from Wajo was in reference to Walmart repeatedly raising the prices on 515s that are perpetually out of stock.

I just checked the Walmart website and they do not list any 515s and the 513s are now $25 more than I paid for my last 515. I would like to purchase another 515 for a backup. I would buy a 513 if no more 515s are going to be available but I would prefer to wait and see. How secure is the future of the 513? I don't want to miss out entirely.

Wajo, Thanks for the great job you are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/21760683

Always good to be prepared!

If this isn't a clue, I don't know what is... raising the price on a "dead" product!?

They have our letters, they KNOW about this thread, and Funai is one of their long-term "Strategic Suppliers"! Triangulate!

·
Registered
65 Posts
FYI- I returned the new Mvox 513 (ordered fromWalMart online a couple of weeks ago) today at one of the Longview, Texas stores. It was unopened- although FedEx came fairly close!
This should make a good super-low-mileage "refurb" for some lucky buyer down the line somewhere.

Meanwhile, ye olde 2160A is chugging along very well on the 727V update, with a near-new 515 refurb back in its box waiting to take over at the first sign of trouble.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzie2 /forum/post/21774241

System would not let me multi-quote but the response below from Wajo was in reference to Walmart repeatedly raising the prices on 515s that are perpetually out of stock.

I just checked the Walmart website and they do not list any 515s and the 513s are now $25 more than I paid for my last 515. I would like to purchase another 515 for a backup. I would buy a 513 if no more 515s are going to be available but I would prefer to wait and see. How secure is the future of the 513? I don't want to miss out entirely.

Wajo, Thanks for the great job you are doing.
Here's the WM 515 page with the strangely raised price on a unit they haven;t had sinze Jan 22.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks, The link worked. Not sure why the item did not come up when I searched the site for Magnavox.

Any clue as to why the 515 is out of stock? Some thoughts. These are only thoughts. I don't have a clue if they are valid.

1. Funai only makes batches and it is not time for the next batch of 515s.

2. Floods in Thailand have made sourcing the 500GB drives difficult or expensive.

3. Walmart is so price sensitive they only want to stock the cheapest model.

From a business perspective I don't see the reason to produce two models so close together in price and performance. It would make sense to eliminate one model to reduce the cost of inventory for parts and finished products. With HDD storage being so much less expensive than it was a few years ago it would seem to make business sense to only manufacture the 515 and keep the cost down on it by selling more units instead of splitting sales between two models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/21774481

Here's the WM 515 page with the strangely raised price on a unit they haven;t had sinze Jan 22.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,534 (Edited)

My Learning Remote + Others

I use a Philips 7-Device SRP5107/17 Learning Remote, a 2012 model in the always-evolving SRP Series. Newer versions of this SRP Series should operate about the same. Got mine at my Walmart store.

SRP5107/17 User Manual. WM model (SRP5107WM/17). Early version with L1 and L2 buttons at bottom center.
SRP5107/27 User Manual. Widely available model (SRP5107/27). Current version at WM & elsewhere with L1 and 3D buttons at bottom center.
Remote Control Code Finder, code search tool.

SRP5107/27 at eBay, ~$6.
SRP5107/27 at Walmart, in-stores only.

Similar 7-device model = SRP6207/27 Looks identical to my 5107 model except says it has "Glow in the dark buttons"
Similar 8-device model = SRU5108WM/27

A page of remotes at Amazon, incl. an SRP5107.
8-device Sony RM-VLZ620L Learning Remote that look good. At Amazon for $16.

When searching, make sure remote is "Learning." Click product pic, then thumbnail pic, then use zoom tool to look for learn or set button, usually top-left.

SRP models are ~5-1/4" long x 2" wide at top, sculpted (wavy) bottom 1" thick at base and 5/8" thick in center and at top... nice size and feel. Two circles and two rocker buttons for easy finding of keys by feel. Only the Device keys are backlit. Remembers device codes thru battery change. It controls TV volume and mutes it when using any Device connected to the TV, without having to press the TV Device button!

My remote takes the place of five remotes in my main stack: 3575, 2160/513/515, HDR5710, Vizio HDTV, and old Panasonic AV receiver. It has codes for over 625 brands, 60 buttons max learned memory. Tivo/Replay DVR-specific buttons (blue) for those DVRs. I have cable TV, no box.

For learning commands:
1-Press SRP Device button, SRP light blinks once.
2-Simultanesouly press and hold SRP LEARN button and SRP function button to be taught until light blinks twice and stays on. Release SRP buttons.
3-Place or hold remotes head-to-head 2-3" apart.
4-Press and hold the OEM remote button to be learned. SRP light stays on until command is learned, then blinks twice, then off.
Make sure you hold the source/OEM remote button down until AFTER the SRP light STOPS blinking to indicate it has learned that command. Also, keep trying if a command fails to take on first try. For other devices, see special notes that might apply to you here and here.

Note: An SRP button can be taught the same action under different Device buttons... can even be a different action. The Device button "determines" the action. If you have Mag and Philips DVDRs like I do, the color buttons are great for this. Example in my system: Yellow button for TV (ANT) input and Rec mode for both Mag and Philips, all taught separately under their Device button. I also taught Timer for both DVDRs under the Green button.

|
|
My Device Codes (these codes set each device's primary functions:
3211 for Vizio LCD TV, under TV button.
1056 for Mags, under DVR button.
2195 for Philips, under DVD button.
2153 for Pan AVR, under AUX button.
HD button is for any other device.

Learned, SRP BUTTON > DVR/DVD Function: Place remotes ~2-3" apart. Hold source button down until SRP light stops blinking. Device code above sets primary device functions unless learned otherwise. Top circle
• MENU > Setup/Menu... 2nd press exits menu(s) no matter how deep. EXIT button backs out one menu at a time like our Back/Return button.
• GUIDE > Title List... for HDD & DVD titles. 2nd press exits menu but still requires STOP to get completely out. Between the circles
• INPUT > Timer... 2nd press exits menu. See notes on INPUT button below. Color buttons
• COLORS > TV Inputs + Dubbing + Rec Mode... See note on COLOR BUTTONS below. Bottom circle
• ↓P/PREV > Replay... Moved PREV to CC (bottom left).
• ↑P/NEXT > Skip... Moved NEXT to PREV.CHANNEL (bottom right).
Philips device code 2195 (and alt. 3715) made my FF/REW buttons do NEXT/PREV actions, so had to teach them proper FF/REW actions. Mags OK with their device code. Bottom buttons
• ENTER > DTV/TV... Toggles between them.
• (-) > Erase... TOOK MULTIPLE TRIES to get this function learned properly. 1st tries only got one Title char. erase with each press, no hold & erase-all. Finally took full Erase function... keep trying. Hold source button til SRP light stops blinking.
• CC > PREV
... Moved here from top-left of 2nd circle.
• PREV.CH > NEXT... Moved here from top-right of 2nd circle. Doesn't change PREV.CHANNEL function under TV Device button.
• L1 > HDD
• L2 > DVD
EXIT/CLEAR (top circle) exits menus like our Back/Return button. It gets out of Display menus immediately.
VOL +/- rocker button turns TV volume up/dn when using the DVDRs. Also turns AVR vol. up/dn if you teach it under the AUX device button.
With my teaching of Replay/Skip to the SRP's ↓P & ↑P buttons at top of 2nd circle, all our high-use Play-mode buttons are in the "Play" circle, an arrangement that makes playback, skip, replay, FF, etc. exceedingly pleasant! I moved the DVDR-normal PREV/NEXT, which we use primarily to move page-to-page in the HDD Title menu, to the CC/PREV.CH buttons on each end of the bottom row.

It also allowed me to teach (combine) key button functions from my separate remotes: Vizio HDTV remote's TV input select and old Panny AVR remote's Vol +/-, the only AVR function we use but not gained with the top device Code.

COLOR BUTTONS: These are your "secret weapon" and multi-tasking wonder in the button wars. You can assign these 4 color buttons different functions for each of the 7 Devices, so 4 x 7 = 28 functions possible just for these color buttons. Selecting a Device button determines what function each of the 4 colors will do... limited only by the 60-button max. for learned functions.

I taught the 4 color buttons multiple tasks, as follows:

Yellow = TV Input -- also taught REC MODE for Mags under DVR Device button and for Philips under DVD button.
Blue = HDMI Inputs, Mag 1/2/3
Red - Component RGB Inputs, Philips 1 -- also, under DVR Device button, used Red for DUBBING button needed to register titles in Mag Dub Menu
Green - TIMER for both Mags and Philips

INPUT BUTTON: The SRP remote has a dedicated INPUT button to scroll the TV's input menu and select one. However, my Vizio 47" LCD has a tiny Input menu that's hard to see from our viewing distance. PLUS, the four color buttons were a perfect substitute for four buttons on the TV remote my wife was already familiar with for menu-less, one-click selection of which device (input) to watch. So, using the color buttons for TV inputs for each DVDR, instead of the native INPUT button, was a BFD in our house!

Since I taught the Input function to the Color Buttons, as described above, I was able to teach the SRP's INPUT button the MUTE function for my AV receiver.

Some functions I have alternatives for, like Source, which I can get to with the CH buttons (numeric & CH+/-) or more quickly by pressing 001 or 002 for E1/E2 or L1/L2. CH+ from there for L3.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzie2 /forum/post/21774569

Thanks, The link worked. Not sure why the item did not come up when I searched the site for Magnavox.

Any clue as to why the 515 is out of stock? Some thoughts. These are only thoughts. I don't have a clue if they are valid.

1. Funai only makes batches and it is not time for the next batch of 515s.

2. Floods in Thailand have made sourcing the 500GB drives difficult or expensive.

3. Walmart is so price sensitive they only want to stock the cheapest model.

From a business perspective I don't see the reason to produce two models so close together in price and performance. It would make sense to eliminate one model to reduce the cost of inventory for parts and finished products. With HDD storage being so much less expensive than it was a few years ago it would seem to make business sense to only manufacture the 515 and keep the cost down on it by selling more units instead of splitting sales between two models.

As I have noted previously,we have not seen any 515's new or refurbed listed on this forum with a build date later than Sept. 2011.I think production on them has stopped.Just my opinion from this info. and if I were you I would get a 515 now(if you can find one) instead of being disappointed later.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I wish Funai would sell the rights for the 515 to another company sort of like the original Beetles were built and sold in South America.

When I was looking for a Universal remote for my upstairs tv I stumbled on some high end remote that claimed it work many of the same devices independently in different rooms. Not sure how it does that unless it is a radio remote that sends a radio signal to a rcvr that then converts to a IR signal with a extender taped over the IR input port on each similar device.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19,538

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 /forum/post/21776451

When I was looking for a Universal remote for my upstairs tv I stumbled on some high end remote that claimed it work many of the same devices independently in different rooms. Not sure how it does that unless it is a radio remote that sends a radio signal to a rcvr that then converts to a IR signal with a extender taped over the IR input port on each similar device.

Could that be the Wireless Whole-House Video Sender/Receiver described in items 9e,f,g on pg 1 of this thread?

·
Registered
8,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 /forum/post/21773782

joekustra,

I have already written Walmart, I might as well prick a elephant with a pin. But hey Goliath's do fall.

That's the spirit. Think of them as an elephant with the brain of a flea. Now add a 50% annual turnover rate. This raises your odds better than even. You just have to reach the right person at the right time.

19521 - 19540 of 28073 Posts