AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
201 - 220 of 3505 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/14745500


Depends on how "forward-thinking" you want to be. If you'll "always" be renting a service provider's equipment, and you really only watch TV at that DVR location, and you don't really see the need to save anything you watch, then stick with what you've got.


If your home movies are really important and you think a 2nd media would be good for backup to the tapes, a DVDR would be good, either single-disc or with a HDD.


If you also might want to edit your home movies or things you might record off TV, then a DVDR with a HDD would be best.

Thanks for the quick answer. The editing might make me buy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/14745500


Depends on how "forward-thinking" you want to be. If you'll "always" be renting a service provider's equipment, and you really only watch TV at that DVR location, and you don't really see the need to save anything you watch, then stick with what you've got.


If your home movies are really important and you think a 2nd media would be good for backup to the tapes, a DVDR would be good, either single-disc or with a HDD.


If you also might want to edit your home movies or things you might record off TV, then a DVDR with a HDD would be best.

When I order PPV's, I like to put them on a disk and save them since I paid money to watch them. Beats paying $20 for them somewhere else
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkyman /forum/post/14750690


When I order PPV's, I like to put them on a disk and save them since I paid money to watch them. Beats paying $20 for them somewhere else

Will both the 3576 and the 2160 record (or copy) stuff from your DirecTV PPV?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/14750761


Will both the 3576 and the 2160 record (or copy) stuff from your DirecTV PPV?

Dont know about the 3576 on PPV, its in the bedroom so I may never know on it, but I'm sure it would work the same as the 2160. The 2160 successfully recorded "THE BANK JOB" and "SCORPION KING PART 2" to HDD. I then edited them accordingly, and successfully burned them to DVD's
I noticed on my PPV's it said purchase for viewing and recording. BTW, we only order HDPPV's so the quality being recorederd looks really good. So far, no restrictions or problems burning PPV movies to DVD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,293 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkyman /forum/post/14754355


The 2160 successfully recorded "THE BANK JOB" and "SCORPION KING PART 2" to HDD. I then edited them accordingly, and successfully burned them to DVD's
I noticed on my PPV's it said purchase for viewing and recording. . . So far, no restrictions or problems burning PPV movies to DVD

I'm amazed the content owners would allow that -- if they know about it. Recording PPV movies off a DVR is the equivalent of ripping and burning rental DVD's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/14756532


I'm amazed the content owners would allow that -- if they know about it. Recording PPV movies off a DVR is the equivalent of ripping and burning rental DVD's.

I'm hooked up HDMI also. Maybe I should delete what I posted, I'd hate for the wrong person to report such customer use back to the owners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtold /forum/post/14761095


My guess is since you are not recording in Hidef, it's OK.

Yeah, I'm thinking since the Recorder is hooked to the Diretv box via S-video, this eliminates any encryptions that may be embedded in the movies. However, my HDPPV and regular PPV events do say "available for viewing or recording", so they very well could be unrestricted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicLogic /forum/post/14779604


It looks like the end of the line for the Magnavox H2160MW9 at Walmart. They are out of stock.

The only other place selling them is Kirotek, $254, but their restocking fee is 40% unless you can talk them down off their high hiorse!?


Link to them on first page of Sticky (click #1 in my sig.).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicLogic /forum/post/14779604


It looks like the end of the line for the Magnavox H2160MW9 at Walmart. They are out of stock.

I got mine just in time then. It arrived via UPS this afternoon.


I now own all three units. The Phillips, the 80G Maggie and the new 2160 Magnovox. Although the 80G Magnovox is at my daughters house.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
These machines are awesome IMO. I've seen some complaining about them, of course everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I dont see it myself. I own the 3576 and 2160. Except for the tuner being SD only, I dont have any complaint. BTW, the SD tuner does a nice job of displaying 16x9 content in its normal format across a 16x9 screen. The boxes may not display true Hi Def, but they allow the progams being run in 16x9 HD to be displayed in the original format and the PQ is surprisingly very good to boot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkyman /forum/post/14783116


These machines are awesome IMO. I've seen some complaining about them, of course everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I dont see it myself. I own the 3576 and 2160.

It's all relative.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/14783141


It's all relative.

I'm not saying no one should complain, I'm just saying that I dont feel the need too. I upgraded from the philips HDRW720p and wanted something better and more advanced. I feel like I did receive two machines that are better and more advanced. I know opinions are a dime a dozen, but I'm a owner and know a little more about them than some who dont own and just speculate on what they think these machines would be. I'm straight up about things in life, if I thought these machines sucked or were not a good investment, you guys would be the first to hear about it. Is there room for improvement, sure there is, we should always strive for and demand improvements. But just as these machines set today, as a owner, they are excellent IMHO
Hey, I've already burned PPV's I recoreded to DVD's, I mean whats not to like about that
I looked at two new DVD movies at walmart tonight that were $20 a piece. My wife and I ordered them on HDPPV last week and for $5, I've got them on disk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,494 Posts

just ordered one for a family member.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkyman /forum/post/14783188


I upgraded from the philips HDRW720p and wanted something better and more advanced.

No offense, but the older Philips were not rated all that highly for PQ and reliability (one of the last Philips DVD recorders made that I tried had pretty bad PQ, so I returned it. Seemed rather flimsy, too, and I wouldn't have expected it to last all that long). I don't really know too much about the features on the older HDD models, although I know that some of the later ones had TVGOS.


You're coming from a not-as-good recorder going to a better one. Many of us went from using Pannies, Pio's and Toshiba's to trying the newer Philips' and Magnavox's.


Not saying the Philips/Maggies suck by any means, but that's what I mean by it being relative. Just so you know where a certain portion of the "complainers" are coming from. As far as the QC on these units, I think everyone has a pretty valid complaint there. And I'm not just pickin' on the Philips/Maggies - all DVD recorders have major QC problems nowadays. They mostly come from China - "Land of No Quality Control".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeluvr /forum/post/14786836


Walmart online now shows the Maggie 2160 in stock and now available for "ship to store" (no shipping charges) along with "ship to home".


Rather than the Walmart 3 year extended warranty, which doesn't have a great rep on the net, consider the Square Deal extended warranty that is nicely priced and gets good feedback on the net. With the Square Deal warranty you have until 90 after the retail purchase date of the item to buy the warranty.

your opinion please...the only issue i have w/ getting the e.w. is what happens when they quit making these. will the parts still be available to the service centers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/14786150


No offense, but the older Philips were not rated all that highly for PQ and reliability (one of the last Philips DVD recorders made that I tried had pretty bad PQ, so I returned it. Seemed rather flimsy, too, and I wouldn't have expected it to last all that long). I don't really know too much about the features on the older HDD models, although I know that some of the later ones had TVGOS.


You're coming from a not-as-good recorder going to a better one. Many of us went from using Pannies, Pio's and Toshiba's to trying the newer Philips' and Magnavox's.


Not saying the Philips/Maggies suck by any means, but that's what I mean by it being relative. Just so you know where a certain portion of the "complainers" are coming from. As far as the QC on these units, I think everyone has a pretty valid complaint there. And I'm not just pickin' on the Philips/Maggies - all DVD recorders have major QC problems nowadays. They mostly come from China - "Land of No Quality Control".

What kind of display do you watch these recorders on? I'm just curious because of this. My HDRW720p had good PQ, it output upscaled 480p to the tv which is a the Sony (SXRD) KDS60a2020 full 1080p HD. I always thought my recorded shows, especially shows that ran in HD which looked very nice, and I'm a picky son of a gun when it comes to PQ.
The New 3576 and 2160 are clearly better, the HDMI upscaling really makes a difference. How was your panny and toshibas hooked up to the TV? S-vid? Component? DVI/HDMI? I only ask because I am not familiar with the units you are referring too. I have to say this in defense of the 2160, I've personally sat in front of my HDTV and swapped back and forth from Input 6 (maggy2160 via HDMI) to Input 7 (Directv HD via HDMI) and there is little difference in the PQ. Yes, it is there, there is some difference, but not the huge difference one would think. I'd say the True HD PQ on Input 7 was a little more detailed and had what I call a "Glossy" look as compared to the 2160 on input 6.


BTW, you referred to the Philips HDRW720p as flimsy, I dont know what you had in your hands, but mine is a heavy duty built machine and weighs a ton. I've had some great equipment thru the years, none more heavy duty than the HDRW720, I have to totally disagree with you on that part for sure. Its much more heavy duty built than any of the new machines, the HDRW720p with 120GB hardrive is a "tank" compared to the others I've seen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeluvr /forum/post/14787406



I can't believe the Maggie wouldn't but can someone that owns a 2160 check it out?

I'd check that out for ya if I had any duelies but I dont
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeluvr /forum/post/14788022


Check any commercial DVD movies you may have... many are DVD DL.

Well, I've already watched a ton of DVD movies in it with no problem
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkyman /forum/post/14788424


Well, I've already watched a ton of DVD movies in it with no problem

Look on some cases, they might say "Dual Layer Format" or similar but not always... usually in small print on back bottom. Only have to find one you've played to prove playability.
 
201 - 220 of 3505 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top