Status
Not open for further replies.
1641 - 1660 of 3505 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/16878019

Did you make sure that the DVD label faces up?

If the clock changes to the wrong time at midnight or noon you may want to manually set the clock to the correct time, turn Auto Clock Setting to "OFF" and turn Daylight Saving Time to "OFF."

Thanks for the reply. The DVDs were inserted correctly. Just got off the phone with support and they told me to buy a lens cleaner to see it that works; if it doesn't, then the unit is defective. I'm supposed to follow up with them.

The clock and everything else is working fine.

·
Registered
558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater /forum/post/16881305

So, just as a hypothetical, which would you choose: a refurbed 2160A with 90 Funai day warranty for $160 and a J & R Repair Master 2¾ yr. extension for $25 or a brand-new-with-no-box 2160A from an eBay seller for $190 with very likely no Funai warranty at all and a 3 yr. extended warranty from Squaretrade for $30. The eBay seller states that:

We have a 100% 7 day return/refund policy with this unit.

This item does have an A after the model number, but I have no clue what you are talking about with the J & R and the refurbished talk. This item is brand new. My husband did make the mistake in the listing saying we had hooked the item up. All items including the batteries are still in sealed containers, (player, remote and everything), that is why is was listed as brand new. It is not refurbished. The box was damaged by the retailer and it has never been "sold" to anyone but us. If you wish to cancel the transaction that is fine, just let me know.

Does anyone have an opinion which is a better deal, a refurbed 'A' with $25 warranty or brand-new-boxless 'A' with $30 warranty? I'm inclined to go with my eBay seller if J & R's recorders are 'A's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/16881384

The $160 units are from J&R and, so far, have all been 2160 originals. J&R also offers a 3-yr ext. warranty, according to one person who apparently called to order... I can't find mention of the ext. warr. on their web page.

That was me who reported on the J & R warranty info after a phone call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnap1972 /forum/post/16881451

Link to the extended warranty:

http://www.jr.com/repair-master/pe/W...0/#productTabs

Ah, Repair Master, not Warrantech. Thanks!

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,645

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanjoe /forum/post/16881608

Thanks for the reply. The DVDs were inserted correctly. Just got off the phone with support and they told me to buy a lens cleaner to see it that works; if it doesn't, then the unit is defective. I'm supposed to follow up with them.

The clock and everything else is working fine.

I might have missed it, but have you tried a SKIP 079 Self-Check, which checks comm. etc. between HDD/DVD and other circuits.

Here's the procedure ... just don't press OK after the quick self-check, just turn unit off with power button.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,646

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater /forum/post/16881690

Does anyone have an opinion which is a better deal, a refurbed 'A' with $25 warranty or brand-new-boxless 'A' with $30 warranty? I'm inclined to go with my eBay seller if J & R's recorders are 'A's.

Neither one is as good as the refurb'd ORIGINAL 2160's from J&R for $159.99 , with a 3-yr ext. warranty for $25 .

All reports so far, about 6 people, are that J&R units are original 2160's, with mfg dates of May 2008, Aug 2008, Sep 2008 and I think one Dec 2008.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/16864125

The unit is an original 2160 version manufactured in December 2008 . . . The original "Warranty Void If Seal Is Damaged" tape had been slit . . .

The SKIP 0-7-9 utility reported 296 power on hours for the hard drive . . .

Two back-to-back timer programs from different clear QAM channels were programmed for hard drive recording . . . These titles, totalling 2349 MB in size, were then high-speed dubbed to a Maxell 16x DVD-R (ProdiscS05). The dub/writing to disc process was clocked at about ten minutes. Finalizing was clocked at about three minutes.

Three LP titles of 1:42:09, 1:17:42 and 15:06 duration were high-speed dubbed to a Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R (TYG02) with my original 2160 manufactured in August 2008. That DVD was placed in the newly-arrived 2160, a timer program was scheduled and the DVD was finalized in about three minutes.

Following these disc operations the SKIP 3-2-1 utility reported this data:

TIME DVD-WR: 0:10

TIME DVD-RD: 1:50

TIME CD: 0:00

So far, the functionality of this 2160 appears as normal.

These excerpts are from my updated report concerning my refurbished 2160, found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16864125

With this information and data I assume that this 2160 originally had a defective DVD Drive or a "cable error." (At the time I did not know how to check for a problem with the DVD Drive cable.)

The same problem was found with the first 2160 I ordered from walmart.com back in November 2008, as described here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15256196

That 2160 was returned to a WalMart store (as related in subsequent posts).

·
Registered
558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/16881743

Neither ('A') is as good as the refurb'd ORIGINAL 2160's from J&R for $159.99 , with a 3-yr ext. warranty for $25 .

All reports so far, about 6 people, are that J&R units are original 2160's, with mfg dates of May 2008, Aug 2008, Sep 2008 and I think one Dec 2008.

I totally agree, but won't know for sure which model I'll be getting until it arrives next Weds.
That's why, although hopeful, I pose my question as theoretical.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater /forum/post/16881781

I totally agree, but won't know for sure which model I'll be getting until it arrives next Weds.
That's why, although hopeful, I pose my question as theoretical.

So far has anyone ended up with an 'A' model from J&R?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,650

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnap1972 /forum/post/16881822

So far has anyone ended up with an 'A' model from J&R?

Nope. In fact, they seem to have a batch of the originals that were mfg on the usual date these DVDRs are released... May 2008. They have the same FW as all other originals.

Until people started getting these May 2008 units, our first reported 2160 original was mfg in Aug 2008.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/16881715

I might have missed it, but have you tried a SKIP 079 Self-Check, which checks comm. etc. between HDD/DVD and other circuits.

Here's the procedure ... just don't press OK after the quick self-check, just turn unit off with power button.

Thanks wajo. I ran it and got this problem: DVD Connect Status-Cable Error. All else works great, so I would think it is internal. Any thoughts before I re-do all my connections?

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,653

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanjoe /forum/post/16882066

Thanks wajo. I ran it and got this problem: DVD Connect Status-Cable Error. All else works great, so I would think it is internal. Any thoughts before I re-do all my connections?

Yes, if you read the Self-Check intro in the help file on Skip 079 , there is a link to someone who also had a DVD drive he thought was defective cuz of errors he had been seeing for more than 5 months.

He opened the case, per the sketches in that help file, unscrewed the DVD drive and, when he turned it over, the connection cable fell out (cable is on bottom, I believe).

That seems like a good possibility in your case, but opening the case carries some risk for voiding the warranty... unfortunately, I can't make that call for you, but the odds of a disconnected or loose cable seem high in your case.

Not sure, but there *may* be a clamshell-type clip holding the cable on the drive... check and if so, open carefully before pulling cable and close on reinstall. Check "Precautions" first for unplugging, draining elect., static, etc.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Earlier I ordered a second reburbished 2160 and warranties for both machines. By placing the order on the phone and requesting free shipping for "accessories related to this order" (as described in the "Thank You" letter affixed to the box of the first 2160) the salesperson waived shipping charges. Note that this applies to credit card orders. If using PayPal they must charge for shipping, according to the J&R salesperson.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/16882144

Yes, if you read the Self-Check intro in the help file on Skip 079 , there is a link to someone who also had a DVD drive he thought was defective cuz of errors he had been seeing for more than 5 months.

That seems like a good possibility in your case, but opening the case carries some risk for voiding the warranty... unfortunately, I can't make that call for you, but the odds of a disconnected or loose cable seem high in your case.

Thanks again. I did read your referenced links and that's why I thought it may be internal. I've only had this unit since Wednesday, so I will take it back to Walmart for a refund. If it were an older unit, I might attempt the repair, but with a warranty, I'll go with the refund. Also this may be a good time to get a refurbished one from J&R; if all you folks don't get them first
!

Without going through all the posts, may I assume that all have been pleased with the refurbished units?

BTW, I've dealt with J&R in the past, and although I've never had to return anything, they appear to me to be a very reliable company.

·
Registered
269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/16881889

Nope. In fact, they seem to have a batch of the originals that were mfg on the usual date these DVDRs are released... May 2008. They have the same FW as all other originals.

Until people started getting these May 2008 units, our first reported 2160 original was mfg in Aug 2008.

My second refurb is a May 2008 unit. But I haven't hooked it up yet as I wanted to record about 12hours overnight on both the first refurb and the regular Wally stock recorders to make sure everything is stable. As of this morning both recorders were still churning away, humming quietly
while my wife slept.

Btw, I did do a PQ test on the first refurb, recording 1min at xp/1min at sp and so on..... All in all, I have to say that not only does this machine hold it's own with the older Pioneers and Panny's, the imo, blow, and I mean BLOW those machines away at the longer rec time bitrates!! I saw NO blocking on the slower speeds, only loss of clarity, or sharpness. Colors were still rock steady, fast moving scenes were fine, I was really surprised (pleasantly) with this. More later when I hook up the May 2008 unit tonight.

Mickboy

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/16882163

Earlier I ordered a second reburbished 2160 and warranties for both machines.

I was wondering if the extended warranty would be valid with a refurb unit. Did J&R state that it would? Thanks.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,658

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefsis3 /forum/post/16883033

I was wondering if the extended warranty would be valid with a refurb unit. Did J&R state that it would? Thanks.

Yes, see DigaDo's post #1676 just above here.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanjoe /forum/post/16882421

Without going through all the posts, may I assume that all have been pleased with the refurbished units?

Pretty happy with mine. Only 17 hours on the hard drive and 4 hour read on the DVD drive with a 45 second write time. Still smells new even though it was built in Aug 2008.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater /forum/post/16881690

Does anyone have an opinion which is a better deal, a refurbed 'A' with $25 warranty or brand-new-boxless 'A' with $30 warranty? I'm inclined to go with my eBay seller if J & R's recorders are 'A's...

From what I gather, NONE of the ones from J&R have proved to be "A"s.

So far everyone has reported getting an original 2160.

I'd say get one of those. Why get a machine that may NEVER have the finalizing problem fixed?

As for a warranty, roughly $8 a year isn't bad for a "repair or replace" agreement.

1641 - 1660 of 3505 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.