AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now need to purchase my new Maggie per all the recommendations of my "new buddies" here.

When I went to Walmart's site, they didn't show where I could check if it is in stock at my local Walmart store. Is this only available to buy online?

Also, your thoughts on purchasing the $20. extended warranty? Since I have heard Funai is not a reliable manufacturer, I am considering it.

Thanks!

Rose

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
It's online only. Same with Target and Amazon (obviously.)

Funai actually put some forethought into this model, unlike other Magnavox branded units, so I don't think you have to worry. How much longer does the extended warranty go over the warranty that's already on the machine? $20 isn't too bad.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Like all mfrs, Funai has its ups and downs. They make 60% of the DVD recorders sold worldwide, most of them disposable budget models under several brand names. However, they put special effort into the Magnavox HDD models, which are their top-of-the-line showpieces. Some batches of H2160 had a couple minor bugs here and there, which wajo (
) showed us how to work around easily. But the machines have proved themselves remarkably durable over the last few years, very few breakdowns have been reported here. The more recent MDR513 and MDR515 have those few minor bugs corrected and should be rock-solid, I don't think you need worry about extended warranties, although $20 sounds cheap enough to be worth it.

The only model currently available quickly is the new MDR515, which IMHO is selling for a bit more than it will after the holidays. Previous models debuted at the same price and fell pretty quickly to $229 at Wal*Mart. Also, the bargain like-new refurbs may re-appear at J&R for $159-179 after the holidays. Unfortunately there are no guarantees, price and availability are volatile, so if you can afford $279 for the MDR515 and need to start using a recorder immediately- go for it.
These recorders are not sold retail, they're available new only from Wal*Mart website or whatever arrangement Amazon has. The refurbs are funneled to the J&R website and their NYC store.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Heads-up: The MDR515 is a superior unit compared to the 513.

Not sure which unit you're looking at.

Why, wajo, of course the 515!!! I would not have even known that it came out if I had not gone back to recheck your thread!
And, upon reading your wholehearted endorsement... how could I not choose that model?
I would only choose what you recommended!
I may be stupid at times; but, I am not dumb! Keep up the great work in keeping everyone updated. You certainly have dotted your i's and crossed your t's. And, I thank you for it!

Tulpa,

Thank you!
You saved me an unnecessary trip to Walmarts!

Here are the basics-

Quote:
2 Year Service Plan for a Home Video Item $147 - $299.99

Get long-term peace of mind for your new purchase with a Walmart Product Care Plan.

If you ever have a covered problem with your product, we'll take care of all the repairs. There are no hassles, no deductibles, and no hidden fees. We cover 100% of the repair costs, and all shipping charges, too.

You'll be back to enjoying your product in no time at all, and at no expenseWe extend and enhance the manufacturer's warranty.

A Walmart Product Care Plan often provides even more comprehensive coverage than the original manufacturer's warranty. Our coverage includes failures due to:*

Power surges (from date of purchase)

Normal, everyday wear and tear

Mechanical and electrical failure

Environmental factors like heat, dust and humidity

Defects in materials and workmanship
This plan gives you two full additional years of worry-free coverage after the manufacturer's labor warranty expires, so you are never left unprotected or paying for protection you already have.* If you want even more protection for your new purchase, we also have a three year Walmart Product Care Plan available HERE.

Now, when I linked to the 3 year plan it showed it sold for $28.88 but was OUT OF STOCK!
Maybe they don't trust Funai?

I thought for $20 it was a pretty good deal considering what they cover.

I wonder if it includes a cleaning since it states "Environmental factors like heat, dust and humidity"

CitiBear,

Thanks for the heads up!! How is it that you come across so much detailed inside info on these manufacturers???

To be honest, I don't need it until after the holidays. I know I won't have time to practice with it to learn it. But, I finally bought my new TV today, which I will be posting about in my other thread. I just thought that while you are all trying to help me get everything connected, that it would be alot easier to have the Maggie now instead of changing connections around later. (Who knows how many times and posts it might take for all of you to get through to me!!)
I hate to come back again and ask all of you how to change my connections once more!

Rose

·
Registered
3 Posts
Page 29 of user manual contained mis information that caused an entire day of frustration & 5 calls to Funai's product support phone line.

When attempting to access over the air tv channels, the manual stated that after "Auto Channel Preset" scanning is finished, the MENU button is to be pressed (instruction #5). The correct button to press is the RETURN button. Pressing the MENU button prevented digital channels from being accessed.

I asked via e-mail to Funai that a correction sheet to all units of this model be inserted in the product's box before the retailer delivers them to customers.

sincerely, Aaron Epstein

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to both y'all. I just returned the Magnavox 513H. I getting ready to purchase the 515H, my question is will I need to get a splitter? We will be hooking it to the JVC DynaPix flat screen we purchased in 2005 along with the cable box. I know when we tried to hook up the 513H it just would not work. Of course that could have been user error. Neither DH or I to tech savy. Any help would be great. The main thing is we would like to record one show while we watch another.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Had to start over with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porfavorcorona /forum/post/19728527

Sorry to both y'all. I just returned the Magnavox 513H. I getting ready to purchase the 515H, my question is will I need to get a splitter? We will be hooking it to the JVC DynaPix flat screen we purchased in 2005 along with the cable box. I know when we tried to hook up the 513H it just would not work. Of course that could have been user error. Neither DH or I to tech savy. Any help would be great. The main thing is we would like to record one show while we watch another.
Here's a help file on connecting the 515 to your TV. With a cable box, see Sketch 3.

The 515 (and 513) have amplified coax passthru, which means you don't need a splitter... in fact, that would only LOSE you -3.7dB in signal strength for no reason (unless you order PPV thru your cable box).

You should attach the incoming cable coax directly to the 515 ANT IN. Then coax out to the cable box, and coax out of box to the TV.

The coax passthru allows your cable box and TV to tune channels with their own tuners while the 515 tunes and records different channels with its tuner.

To see anything from the 515 (menus, channel, HDD titles, DVDs), you have to connect separate cables from a 515 output on back to an Input on your TV. The Sketch describes your choices for that cable type.

Note: Click #1 in my sig. and bookmark that page for future ref. That's the MAIN thread for the Mag HDD DVD recorders like the 515.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Thanks to wajo for all his help. The 515 is a fairly nice unit. Due to the complexity of my system and the way I like to run my connections, it took me awhile yesterday to put it in place. Still need to get an HDMI cable to the set but for now piping S-Vid to the 515 and Component out to the Onkyo 885 preamp is very comparable to the XS32 quality. Made my first transfer recording from the Comcast DVR and edited it. Had to retitle a few times as the procedure to title save isn't exactly spelled out in the manual but trial and error prevailed. Think I'm going to like this bird after all.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Thanks wajo.
Luckily for me I did peruse your many helpful hints before opening and setting up this bad boy.

Just finished with my first burn. Have to say, just like the 3575 I tried some years back, I was a little disappointed with the lack of combining titles on the HDD ... but the on-DVD editing features are way cool. Even with DVD-R! Puts my XS32 to shame. Back in the day I always had to have all the ducks in a row before burning. Hate to think of how many coasters I made just from omission. This feature is very, very nice. And the editing, while a bit more scaled down naturally than the XS32, is still excellent. With the on-DVD editing features it is so nice not to have to waste disc space with multiple titles. They really help you use up every bit of space if you want. Lastly, I was extremely impressed with the burn results while playing through my Panny BD60 ... and am stoked after being out of the game for a while now.

Thank you Funai/Magnavox for keeping the game alive in the USA! And to all the great guys here on AVS who have fought the good fight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I spent many days studying the sticky thread for the MDR513/515, downloaded the user manual, and finally bought the 515 a few days ago. I am THRILLED with it but have one problem I haven't been able to solve.

When upconverting either live tv or a recording, there is a small horizontal black bar that bisects the image at the bottom of the screen. It's sort of like this:

image image image image image

black bar black bar black bar bar

I DO NOT see the black bar when it's set to 480p, but I DO see it when I click the HDMI button and go to any other mode (720p, 1080i, 1080p).

Any ideas what is causing this/how to fix it?

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma Guy /forum/post/19737138

lambell - I have seen that black bar too. Go into your TV menu and set it to overscan, not the one to one pixel. All television stations need a little overscan.

Appreciate the suggestion. I don't see anything called overscan in the manual (LG 50PK550), but the "Just Scan" mode sounds like 1:1, and I do not have it in that mode.

It seems that it's an issue with the MDR515, not the TV. When watching live tv directly through the tv, I do not see the bisecting black bar. It's only when I watch live tv through the MDR515 (which I understand is really recorded to the HDD) ...or when watching anything recorded to the MDR515... that I see the black bar.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambell
Appreciate the suggestion. I don't see anything called overscan in the manual (LG 50PK550), but the "Just Scan" mode sounds like 1:1, and I do not have it in that mode.

It seems that it's an issue with the MDR515, not the TV. When watching live tv directly through the tv, I do not see the bisecting black bar. It's only when I watch live tv through the MDR515 (which I understand is really recorded to the HDD) ...or when watching anything recorded to the MDR515... that I see the black bar.
1:1 mode is prob. what you need it set for, esp. if it's a 720P (768P) TV. Then try all the HDMI Formats from the 515 to see which one's best for your TV (prob. 480p). I run mine on 480p and let my TV do the upscaling to suit its fixed-pixel aspect circuitry. IF your TV is truly a 768p (most "720p" are), it's scaling ANY signal you send it since 768p is not directly relateable to ANY TV/video resolution (480i/p, 720p or 1080i/p).

Please go to the MAIN thread for the 515 (and other Philips/Mag HDD units) where you'll be sure to get help from many Mag users. Click #1 in my sig. for the 1st page of that thread and a list of help files available.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I get that when using cable box connection through s video. I've tried just about everything and nothing works -- unless the cable company tweaks something, then it goes away for a few months, but invariably it comes back. Something about a shrunken signal from the moto box output that doesn't mix with the recorder's input, so you see parts of the signal you're not meant to see (including the captioning signals). i cant control the tv other than to zoom it. I've learned to live with it but I dont like it. If I'm recording a station that has the problem, I watch on the cable channel vs though the recorder if I can. It's like you see the top of the picture repeating at the bottom of the picture. Adjusting the overscan would help, but my panny does not have that ability. BTW, it doesn't happen when going to the tv from another 2160 that has a direct coax QAM or antenna OTA feed... just when importing using s-video from the motorola cable box. Wonder if your situation is similar. I have not seen the problem on my RNG box, but that's most likely because it doesn't have s-video output and I'm forced to use standard video + audio cables with that box. Lousy channel selection via QAM, but good picture. Cable box and lower quality picture - no interference. Go figure.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dear Fellow Newcomers,

Please address any questions or comments regarding the Magnavox MDR515

in the above "Sticky Thread" section. This will enable others not to miss any valuable information.

I only started a thread in this section because I considered my original question to be minuscule in light of the important details kindly offered by wajo.

Maybe these posts could be incorporated with the above thread?

Thanks!

Rose

·
Registered
11,642 Posts
Moderators do have the ability to merge threads but you'd probably have to PM one and ask.

Mike Lang or markrubin are our moderators in the DVD Recorders forum. You can see their names near the bottom of the page(right side) when first bringing up our sub-form.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.