AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know where to post this so I thought it should go here.

I just picked up this beauty at a local thrift store for $65. I have not fully tested it yet as I have not gotten it home yet. However, it does power on, the tubes glow, and the turn table begins to turn but then stops. Hopefully just needs a good cleaning.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
not a bad deal for that cool stereo. I saw one at salvation army a few months for over a 100 bucks. I don't know about these, but could the belt on the turntable be wearing out and going bad? Then again like you said maybe it just needs cleaning.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat  /t/1415652/magnavox-model-152b#post_22181455

not a bad deal for that cool stereo. I saw one at salvation army a few months for over a 100 bucks. I don't know about these, but could the belt on the turntable be wearing out and going bad? Then again like you said maybe it just needs cleaning.

The turntable looks like a low-cost version of an ancient Garrard changer from the days of mono. No belts likely - idler wheel drive.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The reason the turntable will stop, in most cases, is because the mechanism automatically starts to pick up the arm and rotate it when the turntable starts, and the mechanism for the arm motion is sticking. This is very common in these units.

You will need to clean and lubricate everything carefully, and probably get a new drive wheel. There were no drive belts in those days; they all had metal drive wheels with a rubber rim.

As for it being a "stereo"...nooooo...we are talking MONO here; one channel only. This was well before stereo; late 1940s or early 1950s. Up to 1947 they had a record changer for 78 RPM records only, and then in 1948 they started putting in a 3-speed changer for 33, 45, or 78 RPM operation. If it does not have a knob to select the speed, it is 78 RPM only.

The first stereo records, BTW, were put on the market in 1958. Before that, the only stereo music available to consumers were reel-to-reel prerecorded tapes, which came out in 1955.

Not much value there, probably, but it does seem to be in good condition in places.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I wonder how much a new drive wheel would cost. It looks so cool. clean it ,get the new drive wheel and have fun listening to it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. It is definitely a MONO set, and it is also only 78 rpm. As far as I can tell it is all original. There is only one cosmetic flaw on the top of the Turn Table lid. It's about 1" in diameter and don't think it can easily be fixed without refinishing the entire top. It may not be the best setup for critical listening, but it is definitely cool. How hard is it to find 78's these days considering they were discontinued some time in the 50's?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
maybe someone still has some lying around that they would give away free or sell cheap on craigslist if you post an ad for the 78s

1 - 8 of 8 Posts