AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello everyone- first time poster here so I hope y'all are patient with me and I hope I posted this in the right place.

I was given a Magnavox flat screen tv because it doesn't work very well. First off, there are two different model numbers labeled on the back of the set. 42MF231D, which is next to the voltage description and, under that is; 42MF231D/17, which has a barcode under it.

When I hook up the set and turned it on, I got nothing. Just a click from a relay inside the set. I removed the back to have a look around for something obvious but found nothing. I plugged it in with the back off and turned it on and off looking and listening for things. Now I hear 3 relays clicking and I also got the "menu" to light up on the screen. So I put the back back on but got nothing again when I turn it on and only one relay again. The screen is black.

I should note that when the menu screen came on it was only there for a few seconds. Then it faded away into nothingness with a billion pixles sparkling different colors.

I looked the inside over pretty thoroughly but didn't see anything burnt nor did I smell anything out of the ordinary, and everything remained cool to the touch. I saw and checked three fuses and they were all good.

Ok, here's a turn of events. While writing this I turned the tv on but couldn't get anything. But after about 10 minutes I was able to get the menu to come on and I am "auto searching" for channels as I write. Yay!

The guy I got the tv from said that the picture would just cut out and go blank sometimes.

The channels are up and the picture is of good quality. Now I guess I just wait and see how long it stays on.

If anyone has any ideas of a problem, if there really is one, from what I discribed, I'd appreciate any input you might be able to offer.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

A little more information about the problem. I had the tv on for about an hour when it started acting up. I could tell the picture was wanting to fade away. It started pixelating (if that's a word) into blackness. I could tell the screen was wanting to go black. Before it did though I shut it off for a few seconds then turned it back on and the picture was fine again. I set the timer to turn the set off in an hour and fell asleep before it did go off. I awoke 4 hours later to a black screen but the set was still on but with only sound from whatever channel was on.

I had unplugged it this morning and just a little bit ago I plugged it back in and turned it on but all I got was sound from the channel it was on. I can change channels but I get no picture.

Anyone???

1 - 2 of 2 Posts