AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I just bought me a used Magnavox ZV450MW8A for 10 bucks. The former owner tells me that the box functions really good except for the problem that the tape release mechanism seems a bit out of whack.

I took the box apart and noticed that the right side of the tape slide has too much play and causes the tape to get stuck just before I can grab it to pull out. It's pulled back in immediately.

Does anyone have any repair experience with this issue?

Where can I buy a service manual that doesn't cost a fortune?

Thanks,

Ed

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
The ZV450MW8A isn't exactly known as a paragon of functionality or reliability, so it may not be worth fixing even for the $10. See this AVS thread dedicated to the unit.

You're unlikely to find a service manual "free" online, since these machines are essentially disposable nowadays and not intended to be repaired (they were simply replaced altogether while still under warranty). The parent company Funai has made, and continues to make, a bewildering number of very similar models under several brand name contracts. You might consider looking for a service manual under any random model names of DVD/VHS combo recorders branded Toshiba, Sylvania, Emerson instead of Magnavox. I imagine Toshiba might be easiest to track down. The VCR mechanism should be identical across all four brands and countless models.

Personally I wouldn't bother, I'd just toss the thing unless the DVD section still works and you need a cheap DVD player for a spare bedroom. Fooling with dysfunctional "thrift shop VCRs" is best left to retired VCR techs who can recognize the problem at a glance and fix it with one twist of a screwdriver. If you actually need to look at the service manual, its a waste of your time and money. Most loading parts are plastic, if they break or go out of alignment the modern-day "repair" procedure is to replace the entire mechanism. Experienced techs may know instinctive tricks to fudge around this, but even then: would you want to put an important tape into such a flaky unit and risk damage?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys,

Thanks a lot for the responses.

I realize that a repair may not be economic but I don't mind spending some time on fixing this thing. In fact, I know what the problem is and I have taken the tape slide apart and I am "fudging" around it.

I wanted the service manual for some part numbers that I could try to order from Funai or one of their service shops.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well,

I fixed the tape slide. Plastic piece was broken, glued it, reinforced it with two-component glue, works fine.

Found out that the entire VCR assembly can be ordered from Funai for less than $31! Ordered one, use it in the box and keep the old one for spare parts.

Got the service manual from Funai, free of charge.

Thanks for the help,

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.