AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have come down to purchasing either Magnepan or the Emotiva line of speakers for my media room. I know that Maggies require proper placement and that is where I am most concerned. Three of the four walls are only 55 inches tall. At 55 inches the ceiling goes up 45 degrees to the ceiling. The ceiling itself is 10 feet tall. The measurement of the room is about 16 by 18.5. I am not sure this room will be good for the Maggies. Can anybody advise?

Registered
I have come down to purchasing either Magnepan or the Emotiva line of speakers for my media room. I know that Maggies require proper placement and that is where I am most concerned. Three of the four walls are only 55 inches tall. At 55 inches the ceiling goes up 45 degrees to the ceiling. The ceiling itself is 10 feet tall. The measurement of the room is about 16 by 18.5. I am not sure this room will be good for the Maggies. Can anybody advise?
if music is the most important , then it's a lottery imo.. for home theater emotiva..

Registered
How far from the wall behind can you get the Magnepans?

Planar speakers radiate in a dipole pattern over most of their frequency range (from ~midbass up) so do not interact much with walls or floor and ceiling. The back wave leads to comb filter effects so if they are too close to the wall frequency response and imaging suffers unless you damp the wall behind (that's what I do in a small'ish room).

My media room is 13'3" wide, 17'7" long, and I had a pair of Maggies about three feet from the well-damped front wall living happily and sounding good.

Registered
IIRC, Maggies require a flat wall for the back-wave of their radiating pattern. Having a sloped wall MAY play havoc with them.

Emotivas are certainly the less-expensive option. One user on here has dual JTR subs, and listens to music in 2-channel with the T2 towers...

Registered
Maggies require lots of room around them, in the neighborhood of 3-4 feet from any wall. in addition they require specialized amplification as they eat watts for breakfast at 3 ohms ....

If you can provide that environment, Maggies are a fine choice. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Registered
As far as I know the ceiling will not affect anything with Magnepan's. Just make sure you have complete control of the room, it would be a huge waste of money if you can't place Magnepan's anywhere in the room without complains or blocking walkways.
In my dedicated music room I had my speakers about 5 feet off the front wall and 3 1/2feet off the side walls. That was the best spot I could fine for it. Could I run the speakers 3 feet or 1 foot from the wall鈥 yes, of course but they lose the magic and at that point you might as well just use other speakers.

Registered
As others have mentioned the Emotiva's are more user friendly on placement and amplification, while the Maggies are more particular/picky on both placement, space and amplification.

Registered
As others have mentioned the Emotiva's are more user friendly on placement and amplification, while the Maggies are more particular/picky on both placement, space and amplification.
emo's are more economical , especially for HT, and sound darn good for the money, as well as being easier to deal with on set up...

Premium Member
I went from a Magnepan based surround system to more conventional speakers.

For anything home theater / surround sound the conventional system works better. I kept blowing tweeter fuses on the maggies for the levels that I liked to listen at. Dome speakers also have better impact in general (more dynamic) and are much more placement friendly when you have several to setup for surround sound.

I do miss the Magnepans for stereo and I would like to do a stereo only setup with some in the future.

Registered
WHICH Maggies and WHICH Emotiva? I think your room is probably fine for anything up to the 3.7. for the fronts. But are you looking to do a full Maggie HT set up? Honestly, the only center of theirs worth getting, IMO, is the top of the line and it is expensive. That said, I lived with a 5.1 Maggie surround set up about ten years ago a liked it a lot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts