AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Maggies in a 7.1 HT arrangment? I'm specifically looking for info on the 4 surround channels. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I had my tested in 7.1 mode on a Meridian processor. It was MG-IIIa mains, MGCC1 center and MG10.1 surrounds.

Can't say too much about movies (I mean, do I get 7.1 just to get a better flyover?) But it was definitely improved, with the Meridian unit synthesize the 2 extra channels. Flyover was more continuous, dopey demoes that went around all speakers was also more continuous.

With music surround modes, it shined. The side hall sound became more prominent. Ambisonic's 1st reflection became more prominent. Soundstage expanded seamlessly beyond the main speakers when it existed.

As far as placement, it was a pain for me. One speaker with only the top half above the sofa's back, and the other one sort of next to a door. Definitely a asymetrical placement in which I needed to specify different distances to the L & R side surround.

I also played around with turning it sideways so that it simulate a THX dipole. The sound became less localizable, and the sound came more from the rear. But Meridian don't recommend that for their music mode so I didn't bother with it for too long.

At the end, I put my setup back. The maggie sides took too much space, plus I had to scrounge around for extra channel amplifications. Maybe if I get a 5ch amp to complement my 2ch front, I will think about it again.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JMPyle
Has anyone used Maggies in a 7.1 HT arrangment? I'm specifically looking for info on the 4 surround channels. Thanks.
I did a 6.1 using MG3.5R mains, Soundline SL6-6 center, 10.1 surrounds, and MG-CC1 rear center. I would have hated to have done a 7.1 using all Maggies, unless the room were considerably larger, in which case I would've had even more problems reaching desired peak SPLs. Using Soundline SL-8s for surrounds would be a lot easier, and they're a great match for the Maggies. My new setup will be 7.2, using all Soundline, SL-8s for side and rear surrounds.

Seth

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have any information on the soundline speakers? Links, maybe?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Do you have any information on the soundline speakers? Links, maybe?
http://www.soundlineaudio.com. If I can answer any questions about them, please let me know. I talk about them a lot in this forum, because I'm so impressed with the company and their products. Note that the data on the SL8 is out of date. It's now a little smaller, has a different cabinet shape, has a ribbon rather than a dome tweeter, and will be less expensive. They'll be updating the web site soon.

Seth

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Seth:

I should really talk about 'em more.

One day and counting for arrival of the SL-3s for the surrounds in my setup.

Regards,

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I think 2pair of the SL-8's would work great for my surround channels. Next question though, which center channel? Maggies' or one of the soundlines? Thanks
Quote:
I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me, Superman!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I think 2pair of the SL-8's would work great for my surround channels. Next question though, which center channel? Maggies' or one of the soundlines? Thanks
Definitely one of the Soundlines, either the SL7 (might be a bit small to match your mains), SL6-5 Or SL6-6. I tried to get my MG-CC1 center to blend with my MG3.5Rs, and was never succesful. The SL6-6 was a great match. Check out my full review: http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/spe...ges/38957.html

Note that the SL6 now has a ribbon, rather than a dome, tweeter.

Seth

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the one (6-6) I checked out on their website. I plan on running the Mag 3.6 with the Soundline 6-6 center and four sl-8 surrounds. From the reading, soundline is internet-direct, correct? Is there anywhere to listen to them?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, what about the soundline mains? Would the SL-2 be a good replacement for the Mag 3.6? Just wondering.

·
Registered
236 Posts
funny you should ask since I'm in the process of installing a 7.1 maggie HT right now in my new media room. Placement is a pain for the sides but I'm going to try angleing them down towards the seats using a piano hing and horizontally mounting them. The fronts and rears are much easier to install:)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
That's the one (6-6) I checked out on their website. I plan on running the Mag 3.6 with the Soundline 6-6 center and four sl-8 surrounds. From the reading, soundline is internet-direct, correct? Is there anywhere to listen to them?Also, what about the soundline mains? Would the SL-2 be a good replacement for the Mag 3.6? Just wondering.
Soundline is Internet direct (saves money). You can't listen to them at a dealer, but you do have the option to return them if you don't like them. You could also post here and at other sites, asking for owners who would demo for you (I'd offer, but since I'm waiting for my house to get finished, it wouldn't be ready until August). I believe the SL-2s would be a good replacement for the 3.6s. I had 3.5s, and while I never had any problems with them for music, I'd sometimes run out of headroom (usually amp clipping), and this is with a bi-amp setup, 800W/channel, and a 100Hz, 24dB/octave high pass subwoofer crossover (Theta Casablanca II). Room volume was just over 3000 cu ft. The Maggies are incredible power pigs. When they demo the 3.6s at shows, they use two 1000W monoblocks per speaker (Bryston 7BST). Others would disagree, but this is what I'd recommend for MG3s in HT. The Soundlines have a similar sound, and are much more "HT friendly", with their hybrid design and 4dB higher sensitivity. Maggie could make a similar speaker, but they are adamant about not making any hybrid speakers. This is why the MG-CC1 center was such a flop (IMO). For my new system, I'll be using 3 SL-2s and 4 SL-8s.

Seth

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I don't think the MGCC1 is a flop. It just has to be integrated properly, not using the generic 80hz crossover.

Magnepan recommended a dedicated su for the center, running the center to the 2nd channel of a sub, or as of now, getting Outlaw's ICBM to redirect mid bass and down to the main speakers.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have Magneplanar Home Theater setup:

Main:

Left / Right – 3.6R

Center – 2.6R (had these first, but only using one)

Surrounds:

Mid Room – MGMC1 (pair)

Rear – MGMC1 (pair)

My review of this is limited on the MGMC1 since my 7.1 channel setup is new. I have had the maggies in a 5.1 channel setup for a number of years.

The 3.6R is a good values, but are $4,200 list and require good electronics. I think that issue is somewhat overblown as a quality amp with at least 200W per channel works fine.

The 2.6R are mini versions of the 3.6R and are 10 years old and only available used. They have a true ribbon like the 3.6R. These are great if you can fine them used for approx. $1,100 per pair.

The MGMC1 are highly recommended as surrounds. They are also fine speakers for 2 channel or home theater but need sub woofer support for use as the base lacks the “slam factorâ€.

A good budget setup would be all channels of MGMC1s and a good subwoofer or two. The Magneplanar center is not my personal favorite. I would go with Soundline as a center. There is a special Outlaw ICBM that makes this work, but a 160 hz crossover freq. on the center is problematic.

The maggies are great behind my micro-perf. screen. The use of a full range Magneplanar would be preferred in that application.

I like Maggies but they are not the only good ribbon speaker.

Soundline is an option -- talk to John Kotches, he is the only guy I know that has them and I think he should have gotten the SL3 to go in the rears by now. My intial impression was quite positive but limited.

VMPS are also good ribbon speakers by reputation. No direct listening experience yet for me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Good call on the VMPS. VMPS sources their ribbons from the same place Soundline and Genesis does, http://www.bgcorp.com. While they aren't quite as open as freestanding speakers like the Maggies and Soundline, they're close, and bring to the table awesome efficiency and dynamic range. If I had to fill a very large room with high SPL, great sound, VMPS would be my first choice. They don't have a horizontal center with ribbons yet, but this can be worked around if you're resourceful :).

Seth

·
Registered
345 Posts
They do have a new horizontal center. VMPS calls it the large ribbon center

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi Seth,

VMPS has moved to a new tweeter and ribbon design. It is not from B&G

Soundline doe get the OEM drives from B&G. I am not familar with Genisis.

Just FYI

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for the updated VMPS info. I was depending on BG's web site which lists VMPS as an OEM.

Glad to hear VMPS now has a ribbon center, maybe I'll help someone build a VMPS theater some day :). Have heard them twice at CES, they are an awesome speaker company.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WScott
They do have a new horizontal center. VMPS calls it the large ribbon center
I couldn't find info on this model anywhere on their website. Could you please point me to a reference?

Seth

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.