AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the left side of the screen it has some magnetic interference that discolors a small corner of the picture. i checked my speakers and its not causing the interference. my friend said its from the internal speakers. is there a solution to this? do i have to rip out the internal speakers (i never use)

its not a major problem, but its annoying.

anyway to de-gauss the screen?

·
Registered
305 Posts
The 34XBR910 degausses every time it is turned on. From your post, it seems like you just got the set. It may take a few days of turning it off and on to get rid of the discoloration.

For what it's worth, my 34XBR910 doesn't (and never did) have any discoloration in the corners.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Damn Sony. My '910 was affected when I took it out of the box and here more than 4 months later, it still pisses me off (though I try not to look for it). One of the easiest fixes is to unplug the unit for a few hours. I know it sounds stupidly simple, and I have no idea how or why, but numerous people have reported it definitely does the trick. I also believe this is the first thing Sony recommends as well. It completely resets the unit...or something along those lines. Anyways, it's worth a shot, good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called Sony they told me to unplug the TV and wait a while. they think its being caused by my external speakers, which i kinda doubt.

I'm running 3 B&W LCR60 S3 speakers for the main front and center channels. they are placed about 12" to either side of the screen and the center is resting directly on top of the set. i would be pretty shocked if these speakers arent properly magnetically shielded, thats why i dont think its causing the problem. but i guess i could be wrong, nothing seems to fix the discoloration.

and btw, yea i got the TV in november, so its still pretty new.

·
Registered
85 Posts
For what it's worth, I have seen the same kind of problem appear on 24" Sony computer monitors (no speakers or magnets for 10 feet around the monitor!).

There is an adjustment called "LANDING" that enables the user to correct discoloration in all four corners.

I bet there is the same adjustment in the service menu of the XBR910.

Unfortunately, I do not own this set, so if anybody knows how to access "LANDING" adjustments on this set, please pitch in!

-- Patate

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, looking at the Excel file for the service menu I see there are items in the service menu called LANDING LT (left top), LB (left bottom), RT (right top), RB (right bottom).

I bet playing with these settings might solve this problem.

Of course, jot down all values before attempting changing them in the service mode.

The service mode is very well documented on this board, just search the thread "Sony 34XBR910 Service Menu Adjustments".

-- Patate

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I had this discoloration once after a big lightning/thunderstorm that blew out power & quickly returned. After fooling around w/the problem for awhile, I unplugged my 40XBR & went to bed. In the morning, I plugged in & powered up, and everything was perfect again. BTW, I use a Belkin surge protector.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Patate, thanks for the tip. Do you happen to know what the adjustments are called for the 34XBR800? I looked at the spreadsheet and couldn't find anything that looked like LAND. All are four letters.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Hey Polvo, let me know if messing around with the LANDING helps. I try to steer clear of any service changes, but my hand has been forced already with regards to convergence, so no harm in going one more ehh.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i havent messed with the landing yet, but i tried flipping my center channel speaker "upside-down"

it actually worked, the discoloration is completely gone, but now i wonder if its gonna eventually mess up the right side of my screen.

so my initial theory about the cause being the internal built in speakers is wrong, i'm more than a little disappointed that my B&W LCR60 center is in fact not "magnetically shielded"

·
Registered
409 Posts
While I was trying to get to the back of my TV while laying down I accidentally hit my head on the corner (36HS510). I had this yellow dis-coloration on the bottom left hand side so I turned the TV off and then on again and it good rid of most of it. It's a brand new TV so I'm gonna unplug it for the evening and maybe whole day while I'm at school to see if that fixes the rest of the problem.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Very interesting...I started getting a color impurity in the lower left corner of my 40XBR800 just after I put a B&W LCR60 on top. I didn't put the two together since the B&W is a relatively high end speaker but when I called for service on the set they said to try removing the speaker and unplugging the set for a couple hours...no luck. Mine is only 5 months old. The tech came yesterday and said I'd have to bring it into the shop myself...they claim it's a liability issue.

Quote:
Originally posted by Polvo
I called Sony they told me to unplug the TV and wait a while. they think its being caused by my external speakers, which i kinda doubt.

I'm running 3 B&W LCR60 S3 speakers for the main front and center channels. they are placed about 12" to either side of the screen and the center is resting directly on top of the set. i would be pretty shocked if these speakers arent properly magnetically shielded, thats why i dont think its causing the problem. but i guess i could be wrong, nothing seems to fix the discoloration.

and btw, yea i got the TV in november, so its still pretty new.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.