AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be the boneheaded question of the day but I'm serious (I'm also having troubles with the search feature). But I'm wondering if/when magnetic shielding is something that is worth paying for in a speaker.

I have seen a couple different brands...one currently hot one comes to mind that charges extra for the feature. And I'm wondering why it isn't standard if it is necessary...or if it isn't necessary...what is it's real purpose?

Is it useful when the speaker will be a front or center right by the receiver? Or just near a PC? Or if you have a microwave going off within 6' of it?

Do ya'll pay for shielding? why/why not? This noob mind is wanting to learn.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Magnetic shielding is more important for CRT's. If you have an unshielded speaker next to a CRT, you'll see all kinds of distorted colors, interference, etc. If you have a DLP, LCD, LCOS or Plasma, they are unaffected by the speaker magnets.

I didn't pay for shielding since I have a LCOS.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Magnetic shielding is mostly needed if your TV is CRT based (tube), because the magnetic waves from the speaker's driver can affect the picture if placed in close proximity of the TV.....depending on the speaker, around 2 feet or so.

Also, if the speaker will come close to magnetic media, such as a hard drive, magnetic shielding would be a good safe guard.

With CRT based TV/monitors becoming less popular, the need for shielded speakers will go down as well.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah I was worried about the effect on the sound and not even thinking about the speaker wacking other things...makes much more sense now. I have a Sony RP so I guess I don't have to worry. One more piece in the puzzle. Thanks guys. Now if you can just tell me what speaker pair to buy for under 1K I'll be set...(as if).

Much appreciate the info...will feel less a fool next time

·
Registered
221 Posts
Remember DVR's have hard drives in them and you don't want unsheilded speakers next to them.

Paradigm charges extra for the Magne-Sheild option and they have great speakers in your price range.

I'm going to put a pair of Atom Monitors on my computer desk and they will be shielded because there are many hard drives close.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you're using a CRT. I'm running Atoms about 4 inches away from my LCD monitor, and there is no problem (as it should be). Magnetic storage shouldn't be a problem either since there's a huge magnet in hard drives anyways. However, to be safe, I would at least keep it a foot away, at least, from speakers. Even then, I'd be more worried about vibration.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanbrain /forum/post/11375702

Remember DVR's have hard drives in them and you don't want unsheilded speakers next to them.

- My HD-Tivo was literally about a foot away from my Paradigm Studio 60's and I didn't have any issues with it during the 3 years I've owned it. My new DirecTV HD-DVR is in the same spot right now. I think you need a bigger magnet directly swiping a HD to have an adverse affect on it.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterjr /forum/post/11375631

I have a Sony RP so I guess I don't have to worry.

Huh?
That doesn't make sense. RP can be CRT or not CRT.

Ed

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry I have a KDS-55a2020 which is a sxrd ..so I guess I'm safe. Or maybe I've missed something else...always a big possibility in my world.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterjr /forum/post/11378837

sorry I have a KDS-55a2020 which is a sxrd ..so I guess I'm safe. Or maybe I've missed something else...always a big possibility in my world.

Yes you're safe with an LCOS TV. No need for magnetic shielding at all.

Ed

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanbrain  /t/894396/magnetic-shielding-what-is-it-worth-and-why#post_11375702

Remember DVR's have hard drives in them and you don't want unshielded speakers next to them.

Why?

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbelli  /t/894396/magnetic-shielding-what-is-it-worth-and-why#post_24462543

Are you sure? Why don,t afect sound a magnet shield ring on the central pole of my tweeter?

The magnetic fields in loudspeakers are actually tightly focused around the voice coils. The external magnetic fields of speakers can seem large from the standpoint of sensitive devices such as CRTs, but from the standpoint of actual operation of the speaker, they are tightly focused. CRTs are exceptionally sensitive to external magnetic fields.

That means that it is very hard to add to or subtract significant amounts of magnetism to the voice coils themselves. The means used to reduce external fields vary, but none of them changes the operation of the speaker.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue  /t/894396/magnetic-shielding-what-is-it-worth-and-why#post_11375470

Magnetic shielding is more important for CRT's. If you have an unshielded speaker next to a CRT, you'll see all kinds of distorted colors, interference, etc. If you have a DLP, LCD, LCOS or Plasma, they are unaffected by the speaker magnets.

I didn't pay for shielding since I have a LCOS.

+1

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
One can safely assume that shielded drivers will soon go the way of the CRT, as their only purpose was to reduce interference with CRTs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Arnyk for your response. I have a doubt...

I have a pair of B&W nautilus 801 D( frontal) and HTM 1D ( central speaker). Tweeters are IDENTICAL parts in both except for a magnet shield with o- ring shape centered and added on the bottom plate pole (behind voice coil) of the tweeter in central speaker tweeter that is a shielded speaker).

This magnet ring....don,t affect to magnetic circuit adding o substracting magnetic field and consecuently varing the sensibility or other parameters of the tweeter??

I don,t need shielding in my central speaker. I have a projector. I want the identical or more similar timbrical performance in ALL chanels. Can I to remove this magnet shield without affect the sound or tweeter performance?

Whose is the mecanism of this magnet shielding ring? Reconducting the magnet lines in the bottom tweeter area? Is sure that this don,t modify the intensity of the magnetic field in voice coil?

PD: this tweeter have ferrofluid in the gap magnet circuit.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbelli  /t/894396/magnetic-shielding-what-is-it-worth-and-why#post_24467206

This magnet ring....don,t affect to magnetic circuit adding o substracting magnetic field and consecuently varing the sensibility or other parameters of the tweeter??
No, because that magnet doesn't surround the voice coil.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts