AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Sony A8H 65”, Denon AVR-X6700h, Sony UBP-X1100ES, ATV4k, TiVo Bolt 4k, Energy Veritas 2.3 system
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! My new not-too-magnetically shielded Energy Veritas 2.0C speaker has caused a greenish blotch on the top of my Sony's screen. I didn't notice it at first, so the speaker was left on it for a few days. I had the speaker replaced and the new one does about the same thing. I built a little stand to move the speaker about 6" above the tube, but I've got this darkened greenish splotch on the screen. Talking to the folks at Energy, they said that Sony direct view tv's are more sensitive than most... Hmmm... Good thing I absolutely love the Veritas speakers.

I had hoped the automatic degaussing would take care of it, but it really isn't. I didn't notice the problem because I was watching letterboxed stuff and things with darker images near the top, I guess...

I've got "Manuel" from Circuit City coming this afternoon to adjust the screen and hopefully clear it up. Have I screwed up the TV? I hope not... it's about 4 1/2 years old and I just renewed the service contract on it.

What else should I have Manny do to the TV when he comes out?

I really can't afford a new tv as I just dropped a bundle on speakers and a receiver... :D

Thanks for your sympathy and suggestions!

Larry

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Ask Manuel to bring a real degausser with him. If the problem is what you think it is, that should fix it.

I have a huge Definitive Technology centre speaker sitting on top of a Sony KW-34HD1 set, and it's never bothered it. I did have some trouble with my front speakers, though. I had to move them a bit further to the side before they stopped causing colour problems with the TV.

Good luck. Hope Manuel knows what he's doing.;)

·
Premium Member
Sony A8H 65”, Denon AVR-X6700h, Sony UBP-X1100ES, ATV4k, TiVo Bolt 4k, Energy Veritas 2.3 system
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Jim,

Manuel did indeed bring a degausser and that cleared up most of it. He had to disconnect the tv's internal degausser and reconnect it to reset it somehow. Also, he put a little quarter-sized magnet inside the tv to counter the residual effects. It looks great.

I appreciate the reply,

Larry

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike2567,

Yes, I'm aware of that. The Energy Veritas 2.0C is magnetically shielded, but according to Energy, Sony direct view tv's are somewhat more sensitive than many to this problem. I tried two Energy centers, and my 2nd one is a little better. I recall taking my first speaker out of the box, inverting it to attach the little rubber feet, and I heard a "clunk" inside the speaker. Energy thought that a shielding magnet had come loose in shipping and recommended that I replace it. The discoloration came because I had the first one on the tv for a few days before I noticed the problem and it wouldn't fade.

I built a 6" stand to elevate it a bit above the tube, and it seems ok now. I had to build it because when I tried to use an old higher, narrower speaker stand, my 16yr old son said it reminded him of the robot in the old
Lost in Space tv show. He kept going around the house saying, "Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!" Children can be so cruel...

Larry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.