AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems as though Best Buy is going higher-end by incorporating the Magnolia trademark in at least some of their stores. Stopped by the Reston, Virginia BB and had a long look at a Fujitsu 50" plasma, then listened to "upscale" audio components such as Martin Logan and Vienna Acoustics speakers. Interesting direction, but in the words of Dave Letterman...will it float?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Are the new stores using the same "blue shirt" kids that know ZERO about the standard stuff they sell? I would hope they have good sales people who know high end gear. The stuff I have heard the "blue shirts" tell customers is really hard to belive. I can't even cont how many time I have walked out shaking my head with the "advice" I have heard. I am sure some of the guys are good. Maybe 000000000.1%.

John

·
Registered
61 Posts
They'll probabaly feel out the geographic market at first and see if there are people with enough money to justify a Magnolia branded store there and then all it to the stock.

In my area we have one of those smaller BB and Circuit city just left...so with BB we have maybe 1-2 HT stores that are way more expensive but carry higher end stuff.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JohnMR - the salesfolk were not the standard blue-shirts, and at least one appeared quite knowledgeable. We had a good discussion about Fujitsu's AVM II and it's benefit to SDTV signals compared to other processors. Then he sat me down to listen to a live Hendrix recording through the Martin Logans, pointing out the wide and deep soundstage. Clearly not your typical BB discussion. He was even familiar with AVS Forum! So I will reserve judgement for now.

·
Registered
344 Posts
That is good news Tympani!

John

·
Registered
33 Posts
It is my understanding that Magnolia has been a division of BB. I recently read an article talking about how this is supposed to move BB upscale to give them a perceived advantage over other big box stores.

The article discussed that it would be trsated as a Magnolia location with people that knew what they were talking about (no blue shirts). It will be interesting to see if it really works.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
This has been going on for many, many months.

Perhaps it just came to your Best Buy, but it's not "news" per se.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, sir. Prior to posting, I did a search on this forum and found no threads, so I thought it was "news". My bad. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMR
Are the new stores using the same "blue shirt" kids that know ZERO about the standard stuff they sell? I would hope they have good sales people who know high end gear. The stuff I have heard the "blue shirts" tell customers is really hard to belive. I can't even cont how many time I have walked out shaking my head with the "advice" I have heard. I am sure some of the guys are good. Maybe 000000000.1%.

John
I work at a BB with a Magnolia store in it.. Most know what they are talking about.. They are actually required too.. I listened in to one of the meetings, & one of the managers badgered them about knowing the equpiment they are selling.. Magnolia has a higher standard in my opinion.The Magnolia sales ppl are better then the regular sales ppl..

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS2000
It is my understanding that Magnolia has been a division of BB. I recently read an article talking about how this is supposed to move BB upscale to give them a perceived advantage over other big box stores.

The article discussed that it would be trsated as a Magnolia location with people that knew what they were talking about (no blue shirts). It will be interesting to see if it really works.
Magnolia is high end.. In the back of the warehouse we have one side that is just for Magnolia.. & we are reminded on a daily basis NOT to put any Magnolia items on the sales floor due to the extreme cost.. 300.00 cables..Yesterday we got in a shipment of around 12 Denon recivers.. Was suprised to see the S57 Panasonic upconversion player was Magnolia, but the Samsung 850's aren't.. also, a lot of the salesmen in our Magnolia store are Good Guy retreads..

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegurujim
They'll probabaly feel out the geographic market at first and see if there are people with enough money to justify a Magnolia branded store there and then all it to the stock.

In my area we have one of those smaller BB and Circuit city just left...so with BB we have maybe 1-2 HT stores that are way more expensive but carry higher end stuff.
Trust me.. There is.. At least in the Bay Area. Yesterday One guy bought 4 42inch Sony RP LCD TVS.. :eek:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I walk into Magnolia Audio at Fairfax, VA Bestbuy and I have found the salesman not knowledgeable at all. My friend who is interested in getting a Martin Logan subwoofer ask them how many watts this particular sub puts out and no one knows. Perhaps the store is too new but it is dissapointing and my friend walked out in disgust - they are not even eager to look up the information for my friend - very unhelpful. If this trend continues it simply can't compete with specialized high-end audio store.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblin
I walk into Magnolia Audio at Fairfax, VA Bestbuy and I have found the salesman not knowledgeable at all. My friend who is interested in getting a Martin Logan subwoofer ask them how many watts this particular sub puts out and no one knows. Perhaps the store is too new but it is dissapointing and my friend walked out in disgust - they are not even eager to look up the information for my friend - very unhelpful. If this trend continues it simply can't compete with specialized high-end audio store.
That is bad.. The only problem I have with Magnolia is that they are under staffed.. I get ppl asking me questions about Tivo.. HDTV prices, etc.. & I find only one or two around, both with customers.. I feel bad telling the customer to wait..Sometimes it's up to 5-10 minutes.. Personally, I think thats bad business.. & one kept a customer waiting just so he could rearrange his tie.. I just rolled my eyes.. Took him about 2 or so minutes, while the customer is just standing around.. To me, you should help out the customer ASAP.. Actually act like their time is important..

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tympani
Thanks, sir. Prior to posting, I did a search on this forum and found no threads, so I thought it was "news". My bad. :rolleyes:
I think it was discussed at the forum before. But that wasn't my point. My only point was they've been doing it for some time already.

I'm not sure if it's good or bad. I go to a standalone Magnolia, personally.

Anyway, I was not intending to offend, just to edify.

·
Registered
751 Posts
At one of our local BB they have a Magnolia in store. Its so empty that the Magnolia sales people help out on the BB floor. Prices are out of site I see them going bye bye soon.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Roblin,

Why was your friend worrying about the watts on a Martin Logan sub. Dont you think he should be worrying about how many hertz it can go down to, or what it can handle. Everyone always worries about watts, dont be a wattifier, you should be really worried about the current. Thats if they know there high-end gear

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
As Rogo put it... I go to the stand-alone Magnolia's. I have been dealing with Magnolia stores in my area for some time. I know the manager of one. For the most part the people at the Mags. near me know their stuff. They carry good equipment and have always been knowledgeable and helpful. I have purchased much from the one closest to me.

That said, I have no experience with the in-BB Mags, so I can not express an opinion there. I also have had no experience with Mags outside the Bay Area.

YMMV, I guess.

Actually, in the morning, I'm taking my wife to the Mag near me so she can (for the first time) see the unit's I'm interested in.

This should be interesting... :eek:

cheers

shane

·
Registered
729 Posts
Does anyone know Best Buy's timetable for spreading the Magnolias around the country. I went to their web site and there are one in Ohio. Bummer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My brother-in-law who is a manager at BB told me they are going to be putting them into stores in areas where high end dealers already are established and there is a market for high end AV equipment. So it sounds like BBs near upscale neighborhoods will be getting them.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I am not too confident int eh sales staff for information at BB Magnolia. I am happy that they can get equipment I am lookin for but do not count on them for info...

The Pio 1140 should be in soon... according to magnolia people yesterday...

Funny thing is, I asked about the Pio 1130 and they still amdea mistake giving me the regular BS lines back...

I really don't have confidence in tehm for information. I'de much rather come here to AVS Forums or go to manufacturer sights for specs...

-Evangelo2

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.