AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'Mahler: Symphony No. 2 Resurrection' Comes To HD DVD, Feb 26

[North America]

EuroArts has announced Gustav Mahler: Symphony No. 2 in C Minor Resurrection will be available to own in high-definition exclusively on HD DVD, come Feb 26, for $34.99 SRP a copy. Full disc specs follow...
  • 1080i High-Definition 16x9
  • Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1
  • English, French, German & Spanish subtitle options

http://hddvdformat.blogspot.com/sear...ra%20HD%20DVDs

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Lots of good ones recorded to disc for this symphony. It will be interesting to compare the sound to a SACD recording I have in multichannel for this symphony. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

·
Registered
307 Posts
this is fantastic news! a definite must buy for me. I too will be comparing this sound with SACD on Kaplan and Tilson Thomas's recordings.

·
Registered
30,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 /forum/post/12898293

Lots of good ones recorded to disc for this symphony. It will be interesting to compare the sound to a SACD recording I have in multichannel for this symphony. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Mebbe but, if it is not the same performance with the same mastering, the comparison would not reveal much. The available SACD performances vary considerably, too.

·
Registered
326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson /forum/post/13281438

There's a nice review at: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/show...1&postcount=22

My copy should be arriving soon.

Yes, I also read this forum review and it made me quite excited. I'm really heartened when quality releases like this are put out.

Going by what an earlier poster wrote, it appears that the disc had a preorder price of $24, although it's now at $28. I wonder why?

I'm quite certain this won't be a massive seller, so I'm willing to wait until it falls in price. I'll keep monitoring it and if it hasn't fallen by March 11th (when Michael Clayton arrives), I'll just go ahead and pull the trigger, as I'll be making my last HD DVD purchases at that time.

I look forward to reading everyone's impressions!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well, I just said 'screw it' and picked up the last of my HD-DVD discs, with the sudden price drop of most Universal titles (to $11.95!), so I got the 'Mahler' disc as well. I ordered it along with Michael Clayton, so I probably won't get the lot until the 14th or 17th and since I'm in the midst of a move, I don't think I'll be able to enjoy it in all it's glory, until the end of the month

Keep the personal reviews coming!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
My copy of the Mahler 2nd arrived yesterday. Our tickets for Lyric Opera of Chicago's "Barber of Seville" were for last night. A very nice performance, BTW. I thought I'd just check out a little bit of the Mahler when I got home about 11:30.... It ended about 1:00 AM.

http://euroarts.popdata.de/artikel/d...z_hd_dvd_nicht

The part from above --- "Boulez eschews the romanticized readings common in performance tradition...." --- seems appropriate. As in his concerts I've attended at the Chicago Symphony, Boulez does emphasize clarity. The audio and the video are SUPERB. I particularly liked the choral work and that of mezzo Petra Lang. BTW, several shots of Daniel Barenboim in the audience at the Philharmonie.

Afterwards I brought out the Abbado version with the Lucerne F.O. from 2003. Right from the beginning, Abbado's version seemed more dramatic. However, after 90 minutes of HD on my 720p front projector, the otherwise excellent DVD was hard to watch.

·
Registered
30,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson /forum/post/13289211

Afterwards I brought out the Abbado version with the Lucerne F.O. from 2003. Right from the beginning, Abbado's version seemed more dramatic. However, after 90 minutes of HD on my 720p front projector, the otherwise excellent DVD was hard to watch.

Yeah. That's why I usually turn the video off when I listen.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guste /forum/post/13289015

Well, I just said 'screw it' and picked up the last of my HD-DVD discs, with the sudden price drop of most Universal titles (to $11.95!), so I got the 'Mahler' disc as well.

That's the attitude!! I think you'll like the Mahler.

BTW, where are you finding Universal titles at $11.95?

Ron

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson /forum/post/13291757

Ron

Amazon had a bunch of Universal titles for $11.95 this morning, but they have increased prices for some reason,

·
Registered
326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson /forum/post/13291757

Ron

Yes, as Louisville S mentioned, they were apparently only briefly at $11.95. I've been checking the software price thread quite often and happened upon a mention of Universal dropping most titles to that price, on Amazon. Looking now, it seems as if the two Universal titles I picked up (Bourne Supremacy and The Pianist) are back up in price, sitting at $14.95, but that's still not to the level they were at. I believe Bourne was $23 and The Pianist was $20, yesterday, so turn that frown upside down. There's still savings to be had!

As for Mahler, I can't wait. The Toronto Symphony Orchestra played his 9th, a few weeks ago and I was glad to see it, as I'm quite fond of that particular peice of work.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guste /forum/post/13282454

I'm quite certain this won't be a massive seller, so I'm willing to wait until it falls in price. I'll keep monitoring it and if it hasn't fallen by March 11th (when Michael Clayton arrives), I'll just go ahead and pull the trigger, as I'll be making my last HD DVD purchases at that time.

Even on E-bay I've noticed that the Opus Arte and niche stuff commands a premium. The mainstream movies can be had at a significant discount. However, I have yet to see anything from Opus Arte under $25.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts