AVS Forum banner

601 - 620 of 623 Posts

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
I have used TeamViewer for a very long time, it's a fantastic piece of software for remote support and the likes. I also set my testing laptop in the theater and access it via TV on one of my other computers so I don't have to be in the theater when I am testing. It does make it easy for someone who can help with your settings, be able see REW etc. in real time. :)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #602
I have used TeamViewer for a very long time, it's a fantastic piece of software for remote support and the likes. I also set my testing laptop in the theater and access it via TV on one of my other computers so I don't have to be in the theater when I am testing. It does make it easy for someone who can help with your settings, be able see REW etc. in real time. :)

Not sure how I missed this post, thanks reconfirming that this actually work and it sounds like you have it set up the right way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #604 (Edited)
So I started this quite sometime ago but I am finally finishing this project. It’s taking off the second arm of the theatre chairs so they fit better instead of the far right chair being closer to the wall. Each chair is its own with its own arms and 2 cup holders but the span of the four chairs was 160” just over 13’ which was way to wide especially for the second row which the platform is only 13’ wide. So taking off 3 arms per row changed it to 128” just over 10.5’ which is perfect. I also have a height restriction in my second row of 77” ( didn’t want some taller people hitting there heads) so I could raise my platform up over 12” so I decided to build up the second row chairs by 4” so there would be less viewing restrictions from the first row people and the bottom of the screen. I have one more to that I need to finished in the second row then another thing is off the check list.

Original height

2x4s and plywood

New height

Height comparison

Very happy with the final result

Edit: I will get a final picture when I get the last seat finished

·
Registered
64 Posts
I also have a height restriction in my second row of 77” ( didn’t want some taller people hitting there heads) so I could raise my platform up over 12” so I decided to build up the second row chairs by 4” so there would be less viewing restrictions from the first row people and the bottom of the screen. I have one more to that I need to finished in the second row then another thing is off the check list.

Nice solution! I can't wait to see them all done.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #606 (Edited)
Sorry for the long delay in posting, not really much to post but I got a few things done.

I sure have enjoyed having the theatre during this (hate using this word) pandemic. Little story before this outbreak we had some friends over with their kids (9 & 12) and they have never seen the theatre, they were blown away and I haven’t even turn the system on. We picked a kid friendly movie How to Train a Dragon 3 (great finish to the series by the way) the 9 year old girl said after the movie seating in her seat “How do you make the seat vibrate at the right moment every time” that was priceless I couldn’t stop smiling after hear that. My friend wife loved the bass and couldn’t get enough of it which was amazing. A week later my wife was talking to her and she said their son hasn’t stop talking how great the theatre was and “can we have one”.

I have seen Hacksaw Ridge but not in a theatre just on a tv 2 channel, well I just watched it last night and HOLY S$!t was it good, the surrounds and atmos got a work out, BASS my 6 21s got a full work out, from deep earth shattering from the gun ships to the hard hitting chest thumping midbass from all the gun fire.

As promised a picture of all the seats completed and completed my modified one wide Ht8 channel. I had to modify the right wide channel so I could angle it towards the MLP or there a bouts, very happy the way it turned out. I kept the same internal volume even though it doesn’t look like it, it fits perfectly in the column. I also filled all the columns with some batt insulation below and top of the HT8s.

I am waiting for the nice weather to finish the trim in the theatre and the rest of the basement

My seat in the second row

Front row middle seat

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Buddy, you have done an amazing job here. I'm so envious that you were able to get it all (almost) finished to enjoy while we're all stuck at home.

I'm really sorry I wasn't able to make it out for our tuning session. Hopefully when the dust settles, if you still want to try some tweaking we can get into it. For now, enjoy every minute you get down there. You've earned it!!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #608
Buddy, you have done an amazing job here. I'm so envious that you were able to get it all (almost) finished to enjoy while we're all stuck at home.

I'm really sorry I wasn't able to make it out for our tuning session. Hopefully when the dust settles, if you still want to try some tweaking we can get into it. For now, enjoy every minute you get down there. You've earned it!!

Owen thanks for the kind words
I am very happy the way it has turned out and my family and I have enjoyed many movies over this news we have in our world right now

When the dust settles I would love to have you up just to enjoy it and maybe @Jk7.2 Jared can make it up to to get me all figured out with my Minidsp and REW maybe you could join so we both could learn from the master. But if he can not make it I would love to have you up to help me out.

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Owen thanks for the kind words
I am very happy the way it has turned out and my family and I have enjoyed many movies over this news we have in our world right now

When the dust settles I would love to have you up just to enjoy it and maybe @Jk7.2 Jared can make it up to to get me all figured out with my Minidsp and REW maybe you could join so we both could learn from the master. But if he can not make it I would love to have you up to help me out.

I have every intention of making it up. WOW your room is beautiful. No site of any comprising on anything. Just a professional job! Those couple of pics.... I’m just beside myself with jealousy and happiness for you. Once this thing we’re all dealing with is over, we will have to get in the car and come up. I’m sure @hd0823 will be glad to ride with me.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #610
I have every intention of making it up. WOW your room is beautiful. No site of any comprising on anything. Just a professional job! Those couple of pics.... I’m just beside myself with jealousy and happiness for you. Once this thing we’re all dealing with is over, we will have to get in the car and come up. I’m sure @hd0823 will be glad to ride with me.

Jared thanks for your very kind words, without you and many people here in AVS I wouldn’t of be able to get the results I did. To have you and Jeremy come up would be amazing, it would bring my audio to the next level.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
That looks awesome!!!

As for How to train your dragon, I am really hoping Netflix does what they did for 1 and 2 and made How to train your dragon race to the edge, a multi season series that filled in the story gap between the first movie and the second movie which honestly was better than the movies. So Im hoping they do something like that and fill in the details between the second and third movie in the same fashion. Kinda like the mini-Christmas special they did that took place after the third movie.

Anyhow.... again awesome work!!!!

Reactions: Mahuzz13

·
Registered
487 Posts
Looks great Duane! Congrats on getting it "done" and to a point where you can enjoy all the work you have done! I'm sure the 21s can move some serious air!!

We have Hacksaw Ridge in our queue to watch. I've heard that is a great movie and really brings systems to life. Thanks for the recommendation!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #613
Looks great Duane! Congrats on getting it "done" and to a point where you can enjoy all the work you have done! I'm sure the 21s can move some serious air!!

We have Hacksaw Ridge in our queue to watch. I've heard that is a great movie and really brings systems to life. Thanks for the recommendation!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Hey thanks for the for the kind words and I can’t wait to see yours, it’s going to epic and I think I would take a trip to check yours out.

Hacksaw Ridge is one of the top contenders but there is many others and a real sleeper is Quiet Place, it’s not so quiet. The 21s were rockin the whole house throughout the movie causing my wife and I to jump about 6 times just, the use of atmos is really good as well.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I'm sure this was addressed previously, but 2 questions:

1. What happened with the (8) UM18s?

2. Why are the 21" drivers mounted off-center? That would drive me crazy.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #615 (Edited)
I'm sure this was addressed previously, but 2 questions:

1. What happened with the (8) UM18s?

2. Why are the 21" drivers mounted off-center? That would drive me crazy.

The answer to your questions are as follows

The 18s were sold because I didn’t want to build the cabinets and a year later want 21s and I know my wife and once it’s built it stays (no upgraditis allowed in my house lol). Okay the real reason I have heard Mikes and Jeremy’s HT with 21s and that’s what I wanted and the LaVoce’s came on cheaper with 6 21s that 8 18s. I would do it again these LaVoce’s are outstanding.

As for the offsetting of the 21s I had no choice do to the posts shoot out the side not the front so the port runs down the side pushing the driver off centre.
With the screen up no one no’s the difference, but I get it.

EDIT: The other reason for going with 6 21s is I decided not to do nearfields. Saying that I do have 4 DIYSG buyout 15s that I plan on putting there at some point.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #617
Good feedback - I'm leaning more and more towards doing some 21's too.

What do you want out of your subs deep bass or midbass punch? How many subs are you think, all up front or some in the back?

·
Registered
20 Posts
WOW! That's a beautiful theater you have! Congrats and enjoy it. It's great to see these Canadian HT's.

How much better are your QSC 2150's compared to your HT-8's? I'm looking at doing the HT-12's for LCR and HT-8's for surrounds and Atmos but I'm also considering the Titans or the the 2150's as well. So many great options.

How are you enjoying having front wides? I'm not sure if it is worth it or not for a single row theater as I can place the side surrounds at 75° or 80° from the MLP for a 7.4.4 layout. Or I can go all out and do a 9.4.6 layout just not sure it's worth the extra money. I'd appreciate any feedback on your experiences with this.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #619
WOW! That's a beautiful theater you have! Congrats and enjoy it. It's great to see these Canadian HT's.

How much better are your QSC 2150's compared to your HT-8's? I'm looking at doing the HT-12's for LCR and HT-8's for surrounds and Atmos but I'm also considering the Titans or the the 2150's as well. So many great options.

How are you enjoying having front wides? I'm not sure if it is worth it or not for a single row theater as I can place the side surrounds at 75° or 80° from the MLP for a 7.4.4 layout. Or I can go all out and do a 9.4.6 layout just not sure it's worth the extra money. I'd appreciate any feedback on your experiences with this.
I am so sorry for the very and I mean very late response on this, I didn’t see this come through at all.

Thanks for the kind words as well and yes it is always nice to have some fellow Canadians following each other’s progress.

As for the comparison of the QSCs and HT8s they are in complete difference playing fields but the complement each other very well. The QSCs can handle 2000watts vs the HT8s only handle I think 200-300, if you can go with either the titans or the QSCs for your mains I would do that, how big is your room?

As for atmos I wouldn’t for the HT8s, I would do the volt 8 or 10s for better dispersion of sound. My wides are not in use because my new JBL 55 pre/pro in sitting in a warehouse in the sates and can’t pick it up . I have a small sound gap from my mains to my side surrounds so I am hoping they will fill the gap when I hook up the JBL.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #620
As you can see it’s been a while since I have posted in my own thread. So I have a couple of things to update but no pictures to add but some graphs of my subs.

I got 90% of my trim installed in the basement, which I am very happy about. Repainted the main hallway and stairway a new colour, was never happy about the original colour and now we are very happy with the new colour.

Okay here is the part of the post you will be most interested in is my subs are finally working the way they are suppose to work. When I went to Mike’s GTG in Chicago I fell in love with his set up and that is the reason I why I have his AVS name in my build name. But since I have built my subs and have had my system running since Xmas I have never really been happy with the performance, I was missing something well a lot in the 30-80hz range, the tackles, chest pounding midbass.

I was very frustrated and was willing to build 4 mini devastators to replace my 4 ported boxes up front. I posted this graph in the devastators thread and a guy reached out to me @harrisu and said we can fix this with your current set up and if you are not happy with the results then you can switch to the devs. He said we can you a very powerful program that can even out all my second row seats to have the same sounding bass across each seat (I was like ya right bring it on). The program is called MSO Multi Sub Optimizer, here’s a link for more info Multiple Subwoofers: Optimize Them With Multi-Sub Optimizer Software. So what harrisu wanted me to do is take 5 measurements at each seat position in REW (each sub is a measurement, I used the stacks subs up front as one and the last is all subs) and set it to him and he inputted the information into MSO and sent it back when it was complete, I loaded it into the Minidsp 2x4hd, did a measurement and wow everything was flat, I put a house curve and it boosted in the mid range exactly where I needed it. My system went from great to outstanding, it is exactly where I wanted it to be after being at Mike’s.

Here are my measurements before

All measurements at each seat location before I sent it over to get out into MSO

This is after going through MSO all four seats

This is with a house curve applied

I have never watched John Wick until last night and I was blown away with sheer impact every gun shot, every punch and every body being thrown to the ground, my system totally rocks the way I hoped it would and thank you for all that have helped me along the way and I know you know who you are, the list it way to long to to have everyone mentioned lol

601 - 620 of 623 Posts