AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 618 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
A good place to start is by using a room mode calculator, or a subwoofer placement calculator. These will help you determine and visualize where you are likely to experience nulls based on the size of your room, and where your speakers (subs) are placed.

Most of us don't have a ton of flexibility to truly place subs optimally within a room, but at least you can play with one of these and get an idea of whether or not your chosen locations will give you trouble at your planned listening position. If so, maybe you can move either seats or speakers a little bit to see if there is some improvement.

Generally, throwing multiple subs into different places in a room helps to even out the sound, because each location will have different peaks and nulls.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank You Mahuzz13 and OJ Bartley,

The replies are much appreciated and contain very useful info for some of us.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

Sean

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Just a quick update on what’s going on in the theatre. I got 90% of all the framing done for the 1.5” linacoustic to go into place, boxed all my plugs so I can staple the fabric around the outlet and the outlet cover will hide the staples Had to cut into the drywall for my wide channel inset so the column doesn’t stick out to far to block the screen for the people sitting closest to the wall.

Up next finish the framing for the fabric and then buy some mdf to start building the columns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Just a quick update on what’s going on in the theatre. I got 90% of all the framing done for the 1.5” linacoustic to go into place, boxed all my plugs so I can staple the fabric around the outlet and the outlet cover will hide the staples Had to cut into the drywall for my wide channel inset so the column doesn’t stick out to far to block the screen for the people sitting closest to the wall.

Up next finish the framing for the fabric and then buy some mdf to start building the columns

Looking good your at the point where stuff will move faster now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #145 (Edited)
I was going to start a separate thread on what I am going to show you but I said why it’s going in my theatre so that’s where I’m putting it lol.

I saw this picture

diffuser panel and I said I could make that so I gave it a shot.

The first thing I had to do was modify mine to fit underneath my fabric without it showing through. That diffuser in that picture is for a 2” depth and I had to make mine for 1 1/2” depth. The dimensions of each piece glued together in the picture is a 3” square making the whole diffuser 1’x1’. I wanted the same finished dimensions so I had to some trial and error with some scrap pieces of wood and this is what I came up with. The 2 pieces glued together was a 2” square, the length was 2” and the width was 1 7/16” both edges cut on a 45. So the 2 pieces glued together will make a height of 1” and then the backer board the pieces get glue to will make up the extra 1/2” needed for the 1 1/2” finished height.

Sorry forgot to mention I’m sing 1/2 material.

I am sure using MDF or plywood would be a lot easier but I have a ton of 1/2” particle board lying around so I decided to use that (not nice to work with but cheap).

Since I did the trial and error I got my fence on my table saw set at the right width to make long strip before I cut them into 2” long pieces. I didn’t work with full 4x8 sheets I had some odd sizes lying around which made it easy and fast to cut the strips. I am not sure how many I am going to need but I will be starting with 10 which means 720 2” pieces I have to cut, 72 per 1’sq board. I did make the board 12”x13.75” so I would have a tab on each side so I could screw it to the wall.

I will be putting 2 on either side of each column stacked vertically at ear height and above. If anyone disagrees with this place let me know please.

Okay so I don’t have a fancy sled for my table saw so I made something really quick cause the cuts don’t have to perfect. I screwed a 2”X2” to my mitre and it butted it up to the blade and then clamped a little longer 2x2 to the other 2x2 and butted it up to my fence. Lowered the blade to just over 1/2”, the reason for the second 2x2 butted up against the fence is to push the cut pieces passed the blade.

As you will see in the pictures I put the strips on the 45 against the mitre which was the most secure way of pushing them through. As you cut the pieces please be aware of your hands do to the blade comes through the other side of the push board.

As I was cutting the pieces they build up fast and instead of the falling on the floor I set up a bucket to catch the pieces.

After cutting all the backer I marked the longer side 3/4” in and used my speed square to run a straight line so when starting the glueing process I had a way to keep the pieces straight. I glued both edges of the 2 pieces and started the process all 72.

I will be putting another below that one at ear level.

This shows the diffuser panel is at the same height as my framing for the fabric.

Now only 9 more to go.....

Edit: I posted in the Masters Acoustic Treatment thread and @mcallister wanted to learn how to build this, so I hope this helped

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Thanks, very tedious but easy to do for sure. I will definitely do a sound comparison with them in and out to see if there is an actual difference. I have been told they are suppose to fill the sound field in the room but who knows, there hasn’t been any real comparisons of before and after that I know of.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Column update:

Well after many weeks of deciding what I wanted the columns to look like so I have decided to steal the exact design @Oklahomie except for the sconces of The Ashton Cove Theatre Build. He has sent me everything for these columns and I was over thinking it as usual and I finally not the first one out tonight, dry fitted it just to make sure it’s good to go. I used 3/4” finger jointed pine and put it all together with the Kreg jig Pocket hole. I am not fully installing it until all my linacoustics and fabric has been installed. I have left about a 1/8” on either side of the column for the fabric to fit in. You will see I framed the inside with about 3/4” all around so when I insert the 1/2” piece of plywood panel wrapped in fabric it will have a place for it to stop and somewhere I can put velcro (that will happen a little later once all the columns are built)

More to come Sunday

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Column update:

Well after many weeks of deciding what I wanted the columns to look like so I have decided to steal the exact design @Oklahomie except for the sconces of The Ashton Cove Theatre Build. He has sent me everything for these columns and I was over thinking it as usual and I finally not the first one out tonight, dry fitted it just to make sure it’s good to go.
Congratulations. Wasn't until my mid-forties that I finally realized other people were just as smart (and sometimes even more smarterer) than me. Wasted a lot of time reinventing the wheel.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Excellent work!!! These are going to be beautiful when complete. I can’t wait to see how they look in your room.

Aaron H.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Congratulations. Wasn't until my mid-forties that I finally realized other people were just as smart (and sometimes even more smarterer) than me. Wasted a lot of time reinventing the wheel.

Not sure why we do try to reinvent it but we always do when it’s sitting right there in front of our faces

Thanks for stopping by and for the great comment.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Little update should be painting tonight and hopefully be done the basement by Sunday.

Picked up a MA rack from a AVSer @Tedd, thanks so much it will fit perfectly in the spot.

I also got a screaming deal in a new table saw which I will be using for the rest of my speakers and columns

Just on a side note.....without looking where you are located and just looking at your neighbourhood picture noticing the style of homes and the way the sidewalk in constructed/positioned, it immediately told me that you most likely in Ontario and I'd go out on a limb to say more specifically in the GTA!! I then confirmed my thoughts by looking at your profile and saw that you are in Ontario. Still sticking with being in the GTA.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Just on a side note.....without looking where you are located and just looking at your neighbourhood picture noticing the style of homes and the way the sidewalk in constructed/positioned, it immediately told me that you most likely in Ontario and I'd go out on a limb to say more specifically in the GTA!! I then confirmed my thoughts by looking at your profile and saw that you are in Ontario. Still sticking with being in the GTA.

You guessed correct regarding that picture but that is where the rack was in Toronto but I live north of Toronto in Keswick (10mins north of Newmarket).

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #158 (Edited)
Little update, got 5 of the 6 columns assembled, Lowe’s didn’t have enough material so I get that one do this week. They went together fairly well with glue and pocket screws which is awesome now clamps needed or wait time. Got one column spackled and sanded and ready for paint now I will spackle the rest and hopefully have them paint ready by tonight.

Just received 100’ extra feet of speaker cable to run to each column for a crazy idea that Aaron aka @Oklahomie had putting 12” midbass boxes in there, there I go down that rabbit hole lol. Just trying to get a design that might work since there is not much depth in there.

Clamps just there to hole in place

Edit: forgot to mention the best thing I have done when sanding is hook up my shopvac hose to the palm sander, no dust anywhere

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Beautiful work, good sir! I think we both have the bass itch :D your columns look deeper than mine, which is great. I think yours will accommodate subs better than mine will. I wish I had more depth! You remind me that I need to get a pocket screw kit.

Aaron H.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #160 (Edited)
Thanks Aaron, the columns are not much deeper, wall to insert panel is 7” which isn’t much to work with for column subs but let see what we come up with.

Regarding the pocket jig I pondered over which one to get and was going to go all out and get the K5 but Jeremy @hd0823 convinced me not to spend the extra money on that and get the K3 which I was cursing at first but in the end I got the hang of it and after I’m all done with the basement I will have no use for it. But one big thing the K5 has over the K3 is the option for a vacuum hook up which would be awesome because it does make a mess on the floor. A must is the self adjusting clamps that’s the only way to go for sure they hold the material tight and secure. That’s just my 2 sense on this but the K5 would be nice to have lol.

141 - 160 of 618 Posts