AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just bought this router (refurb for $50
), I have been running an external drive and love the flexibility. I noticed that the drive is sleeping and waking up perfectly so I decided to try a usb hub with a flash drive just to see. With a reboot the router sees both drives.

I am curious if anyone has used the router usb as their main storage for their house hold? Anyone use it as their recording drive with 2+ shows recording?

I currently have 2X2tb hard drives in my HTPC, I am strongly considering removing both of them and hooking them upto a powered usb hub. Just wanted to know if anyone has experience with this router when it comes to the usb storage and also if anyone has used it like I am planning to.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Due to the processing power on most routers transfer speeds to a USB drive are quite limited, though I have and use the same router I'm sure what it can handle as it goes for transfer speeds to a USB drive, I'm also running DD-WRT firmware so what I'd get may being slower/faster than stock, not mention I'd never record to a network drive having 7 tuners and commercial scanning. You could give it a shot but in your case I'd keep the recording drive local and put you archived stuff on the router.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have a Netgear 3500 model and found the USB storage to be very slow in playing back HD recordings from OTA - choppy, stalls. I also had a problem with the drive disappearing from the network occasionally which wasn't conducive to reliable backups.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I wrote about it a few months ago. The transfer speeds were 5-7MBs -- borderline for DVD and not good for HD. It would have been an elegant solution, but perhaps the next generation will be more usable. In the meantime, why not just plug it into the HTPC directly? If the location (or USB cable length) is an issue, you can use one or even two of those active extenders. Then set up a share for your other devices.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ79
I wrote about it a few months ago. The transfer speeds were 5-7MBs -- borderline for DVD and not good for HD. It would have been an elegant solution, but perhaps the next generation will be more usable. In the meantime, why not just plug it into the HTPC directly? If the location (or USB cable length) is an issue, you can use one or even two of those active extenders. Then set up a share for your other devices.
They are internal drives. I was thinking about putting them on the network so everyone in the household can watch programs without turning the HTPC on first.

But knowing this I will continue to leave the drives in the HTPC and then just use the wake on lan program to turn the computer on when I want to watch a program; its a minor inconvience but not a big deal.

Thanks everyone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.