AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Interesting result so far. I would have thought you could get the same functionality of the shelf in vidoe as an HTPC but having a music jukebox is something unique that money can't buy (in the quality we want it).

·
Registered
325 Posts
You can't beat the price (excluding tweaking time), features and performance of a well-configured HTPC vs. off-the-shelf components.

HTPC does:
MP3 Jukebox
DTS DVD Playback
Video Capture
from TV when I can't catch a show (TIVO/Replay TV functionality)
PC Games: Atari Bundle (for visitors,) Crazy Taxi (Wife's favorite), Multiplayer Madden/Counter-strike (Chicago - LA) with brother when we're in the mood and make some time.
Internet Browsing (like now, when I'm responding to this post...!)
X-10 Home Automation (lights for room, primarily.)
Controls old but functional Video Switcher (between BUD Sat/OTA HD/HTPC)
Looks gorgeous (DIGN Case)

All controlled wirelessly via Pronto (original) and Intel Wireless Series devices on a 60" Mits.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Mine used to be both but mostly video and gaming... Now I made a RAID box for APE CD storage and my room is not dedicated... It has mainly in time terms become an audio player...

Of course the DVD films are why I really do it but in terms of how much use in time... I can listen to music all day while doing other things....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am surprised that so few people use their HTPC for music. Do people watch TV all day? (Sorry, stupid questions from Europe):)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I listen to music all day in my car and at work. When I get home, I might put on some background music, but my setup is used more for video.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Winamp playback of MP3s + Visualizations are quite awesome to see. When I bring it up with people they say "Sounds like a hippy pothead thing to do" but after seeing it they realize it looks cool even to those not *ahem* under the influence.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Good question.

I answered "both, but more for music". The reason for this is that I have video sources I use that bypass the HTPC. But for music, I now only use the HTPC.

2.5 years ago I fell in love with the idea of using a computer as the center of my home entertainment system. The thought of using this device to play mp3's, CD's, ripping and cleaning up my LP's to CD, watching, recording and time shifting TV shows all seemed too cool to pass on. Now, with the help of this Forum, I am taking the next step - using the HTPC as the ultimate video processing device.

It is this Forum, with all of its participants sharing information that have made the HTPC a realistic possibility. Let's face it, the traditional media and traditional retailers do not support the HTPC, and barely recognize it as an option.

So here is a big pat-on-the-back for all HTPC contributors and to AVS and their vendors for making this forum possible.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
HDTV watching and recording...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am indeed surprised, so few people use it for music. I guess that's because it is so tedious to rip your CDs and tag them correctly. However, it is such a great convenience factor once you have all your music on a harddisk...:cool:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Quote:
Let's face it, the traditional media and traditional retailers do not support the HTPC, and barely recognize it as an option.
I think it's far worse than that. The media company see HTPC as a threat to digital rights management, plus they know that every HTPC installed means a hi-end dvdplayer not being sold. In italy the magazine i write for has endorsed the HTPC cause and it's promoting the concept also when reviewing projectors, other magazines have a more careful approach.

I don't want to shift towards cyberpunk writers corporation paranoia but i think the big companies has seen the potential and will try to regulate them, the Palladium concept might go in this direction.

anyway i answerd : both but most for video. But it really dependo on which htpc, the living room one plays mostly music, the HT ones mostly video.

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have believed for a long time that in the future we would have all our music on a chip card. The HTPC or the iPods come very close to that already.

The music industry would be so much better off if they endorsed digital music (I am not talking about crappy 128 kbps MP3 on Emusic that nobody wants). Why can't I download the latest soundtrack for like €10? I don't need the original case just the rights to this music. I don't know how much out of €18 for a CD is the digital rights portion but I suspect it is much less than €10 more like €5. Why not charge €5 then and let people download legitimately? If somebody prefers a nice CD cover, he should pay for it not the honest HTPC owner.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Put on the coffee (should be good in Frankfurt :) ) and join us thrashing those ideas out in the 'end of DVD ripping thread'... The content industry has massive problems not least of which is that many people feel that there is nothing wrong with simply stealing all thier music... Whats stops you buying it once and then putting it up on gnutella networks so that no one else has to... Many people see this as an admirable activity !!!

Anyway its not my intention to turn this into a second IP thread thats the last thing I need :) !!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Phat- the DVD thread is far too religious and too extreme for my taste.

My proposal was not about copyrights or cr infringements but just for a different pricing model for music, similar to system builder CD ROMS of Windows XP which are cheaper because they don't come with a handbook.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.