AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying Mainlobby 2.0 but wanted to get other people's opinions of it. What are the positives/negatives. Also, I've seen alot of screen shots where you can launch DVD, TV, CD, but I have yet to see someone with a Game button. Does no one play any games? Or does Mainlobby not work well with it? I requested a trial version but your experiences would be appreciated.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Linearxs-

All you need to do is look at the threads. I know this sounds like a short BS answer, but I've never seen anyone post about being diss-satisfied with MainLobby.

Mario's support is the absolute best it could be. I use many different front-ends for my HTPC's, and MainLobby is the best looking. I'd wager that all you will find is good opinions of Mario and his 'Lobbies'.

Good luck!

-PGPfan

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From a breif glance at the trail version it looks like its just a Flash application. I guess now the question is, is it worth it to my wife to buy it or create it in Flash. She's the one that knows how to use Flash. I guess $60 bucks isn't bad for the amount of effort she would have to put in. It looks good, and I can launch a game in it. Having a little difficulty with the diplay changing sizes but i'm sure thats probably fixed in version 2.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Hi PGPfan,

Thanks for the nice words.

linearxs,

In my opinion, coming from a design background first, the graphics and background skins alone are worth more than the price tag. Of course - I may be a little biased being the developer/designer. Stop by Eyewire.com and try to find a nice background skin to use - you'll pay at least $59 plus for a decent one. Now add in buttons and time to program - you've just waisted the last year of your life. ;) Don't forget you won't be able to launch apps without paying for an additional 3rd party program that will run you over $100.

If your wife knows Flash, she can tap into all the power that MainLobby 2 has like launching apps and triggering Girder events without being an expert. I've seen some pretty cool stuff come from other users who do have Flash experience and integrate their talents into MainLobby.

Let me know what problems you are having with the display resoltuion. What resolution do you have it set at? I'd be more than happy to help.

·
Registered
119 Posts
First off I just have to say that Media Lobby2 is the best money I ever spent. I was impressed with the original version and when I received 2, all I can say is WOW!!! I am not a programmer or very good with graphics so Media Lobby is great for me with all the built in graphics and the ability to import my own if I want to. I am still playing with all the advanced features to see exactly what I want. Also the support alone is worth $60.

As far as games I use MAME with the EMUWIZARD front end, which is skinable, and it works great. I just have a button in Media Lobby pointing to the EMUWIZARD exe. I am pretty new to the scene but I am sure there are alot more options.

I hope this helps,

Scott

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm building a pretty simple web page as a front-end and running it as an "active desktop" in Windows - using JavaScript for button rollovers and CSS for precise placement, etc. Works just fine and is seemless require nothing to launch and is pretty low-overhead on the system. You can indeed launch applications without Flash. Works just fine. And Mario even provides you the free background on his page to get started.

Main Lobby seems like a great program, and as Mario said it comes with backgrounds and buttons specific to our cause - but unless you need/want Girder support, web pad remote, or the ability to use the Slinke it may be overkill. I was hoping he would come out with a "light version" for about 20 bucks - at that price point I'd be in. But 60 bucks seems a bit high (at least at my income level) when you compare it to the apps like WinDVD or Grand Theft Auto which can be had for under 50. My copy of Windows which I use every day for everything only cost me 100 bucks.

If you go the DIY route, here's some very helpful web site for backgrounds and buttons which I've used for rollerover buttons, backgrounds, and Flash menus:

http://www.guistuff.com/
http://www.flamingtext.com/
http://www.freebuttons.com

When I'm happy with my final product, I'll post it up here in all it's glory (ha) and give an estimation of the time spent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.