AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I read about about ML command line I rushed to buy version 2.0, thinking - finally I can get my scripts to create mls scenes on the fly creating temporary file and executing ML to load them. That could be a great way to do things such as directory browsing, etc.

I should have read the description first - it is not a command line, but some internal commands for buttons inside the scene. Well, it is a little bit disapointing, but I can still use scenes generated from my folders "offline".

[Mario, if you are reading this]

Is there any way to tell ML to load specific scene (replacing the current one)? Or even to unload ML? I mean outside of ML? Command-line, Windows messages, anything?

I would like to see such capability in one of the next vesions, I do not think it is very hard but it would greately increase ML potential. Do not get me wrong, I like ML 2, and think it is a great UI tool, but it is not very friendly for non-flash developers. Some API for other programs to use would be nice.

Thanks.

--

Vadim

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Hi Vadim,

Perhaps you can give me a broader picture of what you are trying to do. I may be able to allow control of ML via the command line.

I just want to make sure what you are doing is the best way. :)

For example, are you just trying to load MainLobby and a particular Scene? Couldn't you just associate the MLS file with Mainlobby and have it open?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mario

OK. First, I think I would be 99% satisfied by ability to load a scene into ML that is already running (replacing the current scene).

The reasoning:

1. I'd like to have a button on my remote mapped to a "Main Menu" scene, so when I press that button, ML is displayed and a start scene is loaded. I would use Girder to execute a command line to do that.

Kind of like "Start" button in Win XP Media edition.

2. I'd like to have a "Disk inserted and avi/mpg/mp3/jpg/etc found, play Y/N" scene brought up every time I insert a disk with some media content in a drive. Again I'd use girder to catch insertion notification (and combined with Windows auto insert off that could prevent those nasty PCFriendly windows from ruining my perfect HTPC GUI :) )

3. Poor man's CD/DVD Lobby - have a perl script called from a scene with some directory name as a parameter that would read a content of that directory and/or xml file in it, generate mls file out of it and make ML to load this newly generated scene. That new scene would have buttons referring to sub-directories and calls to the same script. I remember seeing posts about a set of VB scripts that did almost the same, but "offline". I believe that Pentium4 can handle generation of mls files "real time".

This way, for example, I can have some primitive directory browsing with an ML-style beautiful interface. And without having to learn Flash.

Of course, I'd like to have other interfaces too, like ability to do something with an element of a scene, like hide a button in the active scene from the command line, but quite honestly, I do not need it (well, at least not now :) )

Thanks for quick response!

--

Vadim

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Point 2, There is a nice little Girder GML that detects DVD insert (and differentiates between CD) and then kills of the InterActual PC(UN)Friendly / etc pop up boxes..... Plus it then starts your player (so you can have the DVD detect feature in windows off)... Depending on content eg audio for Audio CD / Etc....

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Or, perhaps, where it could be found?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.