AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.. I am in the market for a new system which will be used 50% music, 50% HT(a lot of sports, football, NASCAR especially). I've been considering the following...

- Hsu Ultimate I $2,000

- Ascend setup with 340SE Fronts & Center, 170SE surrounds, an Hsu VTF-3 HO to fill in the bottom end. $2,250

- and SBS set up, but I would get the 5.1 system, add two SCS Centers to use as fronts(which they do), use all 4 SBS-01's as surrounds, and upgrade the Sub to a PB12 Plus/2 $2,200

- Axiom M60's, VP150, QS8's(2), EP500 $2600

The Axioms are more expensive overall, but Axiom also has free shipping. With the other systems I will have to purchase a couple stand and whatnot, so the money isn't that big of an issue.

My issue is playing music. I listen to a lot of music, some extremely, extremely heavy, all kinds of Death Metal, Power Metal and such. And I love it LOUD!(as Gene Simmons once said) I'm afraid these systems with the bookshelf speakers just won't cut the mustard when listening to a lot of loud heavy music in my room, which is 27 X 13, 7" ceilings. Maybe I'm just being paranoid? As of this moment I am leaning toward the Axioms.

I'd like to hear some opinions on these setups.

·
Premium Member
15,038 Posts
Since you are getting a subwoofer with whatever system you decide on, you can make a bookshelf/sub system work just as well as a floorstander/sub system. It's all about using Bass Management in your receiver or pre/pro. If you use bookshelf speakers, you simply set them to "Small" and set the crossover appropriately for their bass extension. Usually 80 Hz works well, but 60 or 100 might work better with some bookshelf's. Using the "Small" setting will re-direct all the bass below the crossover to the subwoofer. Therefore, you don't need to have extra bass extension in your mains. The speaker you bought to reproduce the bass will be reproducing *all* the bass.

If you go with the Axioms, you can save about $500 by going with their M22 V2 bookshelf speaker. It has extension to 60 Hz (+/- 3dB). If you cross them over to the EP500 sub at 80 Hz and let the sub do all the work below that, you should have a system that will sound every bit as good as the floorstander system.

Another suggestion I would make with the Axiom system is to replace the VP150 with a third M22 V2 for the CC. Of course, this will only be a viable option if a vertical speaker works for your center channel. In many systems, the video display dictates the orientation of the CC. Nonetheless, if it works, a third M22 V2 would be the best match.

The nice thing about the Axioms is their sensitivity rating. If you like *loud* and you can feed them enough amplifier power, these speakers should get plenty loud in your room. Each speaker will take one watt and turn it into 93 dB 1 meter away. Take five of them, feed them 150 watts each, add a subwoofer and the system will get loud enough to hurt your ears -- LITERALLY! Be careful with your hearing.

Good luck.

Craig

·
Registered
865 Posts
The Ascend system is also a kickass system. You should make some effort to listen to the Axiom and Ascend. Just order the main speakers of each, and return the pair you like least, or find some in your area to hear. Both brands have forums where you can find places to audition.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else? Of all the audioheads in here only two responses?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.