AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have seen my Sony 1252Q troubles after an upgrade purchased from Projection Systems.

I call them to inquire about the kit needed to upgrade the Sony 1252 to a 1272. Scott (Proj Specs Sales) and I chatted about what was needed and he told me the procedure was as easy as pie and concerned only 1 board, the "Y board". In a fit of eagerness I asked to upgrade to 2nd day shipping for an additional $10 over the $250 quoted for the upgrade.

Two days later FedEx delivered my Y Board for installation into my 1252Q. About 2 hours later Scott's confirmation e-mail with the tracking number showed. No mind, I've got 21 points of my screen to converge!! (1252 only has 9 point, hence my desire for the upgrade)

The install was simple even though the part came in bubble wrap only (no static protective bag) and had no instructions of any kind. After reconverging my 1252 3 times and resetting the PJ several times it was very apparent: my upgraded PJ did not have 21 point convergence as advertised. I called Scott and was assured "that we'll make everything right. Let me call you back after I do some research." That was on Thursday the 30th.

After several followup phone calls including one stating "that we need to actually do the upgrade ourselves, we're not sure why it doesn't work since we've never done it before" I began to realize that no one knew what I needed for this upgrade, but they'll make it right.

Today I was finally told, "You need an additional board that we'd be glad to sell you for another $200. If you're not happy with that you can send the Y board back to us for a refund." They will not refund my shipping to "make things right" even though we had specificed what I wanted, the price I would pay, and the uplift for getting it to me in a specified time.

To summarize:

1) I called and asked for a 1252Q to 1272Q upgrade kit

2) I was quoted $250 for said kit

3) I paid for expedited shipping for this kit

4) The part they sold/recommended to me never did what I wanted it to do

5) My only option is now shell out an additional $200 OR agree to eat my shipping costs because PROJECTION SYSTEMS DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO SELL ME and return the useless part.

I am not in the business of funding their R&D work and as a customer who requested a specific upgrade they are costing me $$ (in shipping for useless parts they recommend) and the time to reconverge my projector now 4 times.

I have disputed the charge with my credit card company.

I would be happy with either of the following:

1) A full refund of the cost of the kit and shipping (to me as well as to return the useless part) since if I had been quoted $450 from the get go I would have passed

OR

2) Send me the necessary parts needed to complete my order at the price quoted

I advise those new to projectors to be very very very detailed and specific about your dealings with Projection Systems. All is not always as they claim. Thank goodness I'm not talking about tubes.

·
Registered
827 Posts
For such an upgrade you need more than new software, there is an additional board with DA converters that increases the points for convergence. If I remember right that is one of the differences between

the 1270 and 1271, so far more points you would have actually needed

the new software (EPROM or Y-board and the DA-converter board which is located most right if you open the aluminium case.

·
Registered
131 Posts
May be this particular incident was a missed communication between both parties and hoping it will resolve satisfactory. In Projector Specs defense, myself and five other friends had purchased CRT projectors and other equipment, we are extremely satisfied in doing business with Projectors Specs. Also, the services and technical respond that they provided to us were excellent.

Linh

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I'm surprised to hear of any disappointment from Eric. He runs a good company.

FWIW, I did some testing on 1252's about a year ago and found that if I replaced the firmware on the 1252 (located on the YBoard)with the firmware from a 1272, I got 21 point convergence, with no other changes. Nor that was as far as I got and I never tried to do a full setup as I abandoned the project. But I surely had 21 points on R, G and B in the Zone.

Terry

·
Registered
99 Posts
Projection Systems does not sell a "kit" nor do we recommend modifying the factory board configuration of a Sony VPH-1252. Sony did at one time supply such a "kit". The results of any experimentation with such a project is out of our control, even if the parts were purchased from us. Yes, we have heard of this mod being done and did limited research here with the "Y" board swap. Our machine successfully now has adjustable 21 point convergance. We mentioned we would look into it more as it could be your machine may have different software or eproms. The limited information we have is based on others trying the "Y' boards and getting 21 points to come up. If someone wants to try it themselves, we'd be happy to supply the parts. If it doesn't work, send them back and we'll refund your money.

For the benefit of other forum members who may be interested in this, we'd be happy to supply you any parts or boards at no charge to successfully finish your convergence issue as long as you share the information here.

Again, we will not guarantee this will be successful. Thats the joy of experimentation!

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Eric,

That is exactly why I abandoned the priject. There were to many unknowns with firmware.

Terry

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eric,

Can I assume that's an offer by Projection Systems to supply me with the additional board for the originally quoted price? Plus, to be clear if the mod doesn't work you're offering to take the boards back and refund my money (obviously all shipping expense at my cost)?

If so, I'd be happy to share the result with the AVS Forum for the benefit of my peers. IMO that would benefit everyone and certainly live up to Projection Systems claim to make things right.

I look forward to your response so I can once again be a raving fan of your service.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Seems like a lot of fuss about $10 in shipping to me. Here in Thailand if we buy something and it doesn't work they don't even discuss refunds...they may buy the item back at a reduced price and sell you something else. You are too spoilt over there. I personally have thousands of dollars of useless parts for which i payed premium prices for various projects and experiments, i don't have any hard feelings as that's just part of being a gadget freak.

For $10 dollars in shipping you would be called a cheap Charlie over here :)

Projector specs has shipped me a few items here to Thailand and i am very happy with their service.

·
Registered
888 Posts
in Thailand if we buy something and it doesn't work they don't even discuss refunds... You are too spoilt over there.

Perhaps you are just brainwashed over there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd like to be clear so there's no misunderstanding. I was led to believe that this was "no big deal." There was no statement "we've never tried this," "we don't recommend this," etc, which would have let me know the lay of the land.

In my opinion alexhp, if you have thousands of dollars of useless parts for which you payed premium prices, then you need to take an extra step in your projects and re-review your plans prior to ordering (and hold a garage sale!!)

I certainly would have been more cautious & thought twice if there had been full disclosure from Projection Specs instead of being put at ease both prior to and following the sale.

I don't want to start more complaining since I believe Eric has a very acceptable offer on the table and useless griping won't help anyone. Suffice it to say I just want 21 point convergence for my PJ at the price I was quoted. In turn I want to be able to share my experiences with the 1252Q owners of the forum and be able to feel confident recommending peers and customers to PJSpecs.

I'm certain we can work this out in way beneficial for everyone.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Mark, I have to agree with you. While I do not know Eric, and have never personally dealt with them, I have read nothing but good reviews of his company. I would not have thought twice about them based on what I had read. However, I do think that you were lead astray. To say it is "no big deal", is a helluva lot different than saying we've never tried this, etc, etc. That doesn't sit well with me at all. If they had said "We've never done it ourselves but from what we unserdtand it is no big deal..." Well you get the point. I think you should be refunded your shipping based on what was told to you. No ifs, ands or buts about it...Or you should be given the upgrade at the price you were quoted for "no big deal."

Just MHO of course.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mark,

No, for the misunderstanding we will supply any additional boards at no charge. Just let us all know how it works. I think we can all benefit from this should you be able to make it function correctly.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by elang
Mark,

No, for the misunderstanding we will supply any additional boards at no charge. Just let us all know how it works. I think we can all benefit from this should you be able to make it function correctly.
Can't argue with a reply like that. That's the kind of reputation I had heard about Eric and ProjectorSpecs!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Eric,

I sincerely appreciate the speed and customer focus your actions have taken. I'll be happy to post my learnings in a separate thread for all of us to understand.

Thanks Eric!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yep, that's what I call taking care of his customer.

Some guys should take example.

I've ordered my B-stock G-90 from a guy in SLC 14 months ago and I still've been waiting for it.

To apologize for the wait, he offered a A-stock at a REALLY low price (lower than the B-stock :D ), which is sincerely VERY nice of him. But the problem is that a few months have passed and I still have nothing so far... he even hardly replies my mails.

The G-90 Should have shipped out yesterday...but no update, nothing so far. .:mad:

Anyway, hats off to you Eric.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I hate to be negative-

But 14 months? Here in the US we have a saying for that. Its called "Taken for a ride." Hope you didnt pre-pay. :(

I hope Im wrong, for Stefs sake.

--Kieth

·
Registered
58 Posts
AVS comes through again! If it wasn't for this forum there's no way ELANG would have worked with you. Just look how he responded before you posted your situation. I only wish I knew of AVS at the time I dealt with Eric and got shafted on the shipping charges.

Mike

·
Registered
535 Posts
Kieth,

Yes I have prepaid 14 months ago.

I know ....That's crazy.

But as strange as it may look, The guy is kind of reliable (and known too). I know he is. he wired me back some of my money to apologize for the wait.

And I heard very good things about him. Well, I guess I'm not very lucky!

He offered me a few times either to wait for the new G-90 or to get a full refund with interest .

I chose the wait.

Just got a mail, seems my PJ ships out monday.

I'm sure I will get it very soon now. All in all, I will have my G-90 for a VERY good price.

I'll let you know.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mdj930
AVS comes through again! If it wasn't for this forum there's no way ELANG would have worked with you. Just look how he responded before you posted your situation. I only wish I knew of AVS at the time I dealt with Eric and got shafted on the shipping charges.

Mike
Mike,

Frankly, I think your post is out of line. There are many, many people on this forum who bought from Eric and are perfectly satisfied, and I happen to be one of them. I'd bet that you don't understand the situation or Eric well enough to suggest that he was somehow pressured to capitulate.

One thing that always rings true about threads like this is that there are two sides to every story--and so far all we have from you is an unsubstantiated claim. If you are going to post here and slam someone then you should be prepared to back up your claim with details and facts if you want to be taken seriously.

--Jerome

·
Registered
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jsaliga

One thing that always rings true about threads like this is that there are two sides to every story--and so far all we have from you is an unsubstantiated claim. If you are going to post here and slam someone then you should be prepared to back up your claim with details and facts if you want to be taken seriously.

--Jerome
HERE! HERE! Well stated

Its not about Slagging someone it is about finding the solution

and from what I read both parties are happy to work threw the problem

and this is what everyone is entitled too:D

way to Go

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.