AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I now know why some folks have such differing opinions of the Wii's wireless networking performance. My Wii's performance, both in the Store and Internet Channels, was abysmal. Far, far slower than a PC browsing even simple pages....to the point where it was rendered essentially useless. The only reason to browse the web on the Wii was for the novelty of it, especially with a laptop nearby.

However, after glancing at Ninty's site for an unrelated reason, I noted a specific comment about wifi performance and interference: specifically if you live in an area with lots of wireless networks (like I do) and are using the default channel on your router/firewall (like I was)...then it slows the Wii down as it scans ALL of those networks when using the wireless.

By simply changing the channel my linksys wireless router was using (from the default of 6 to 10) I immediately saw a DRAMATIC improvement in my Wii's wireless internet capability. Pages that previously took MINUTES to load now loaded in seconds. Not quite as fast as my laptop, but only slightly slower and perfectly acceptable. Thought I'd share the info for those who might be having a similar experience.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
This has already been discussed in other threads (see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=829111 ), and while interference from other wireless devices on the same channel is indeed a problem, it's not solely to blame for the Wii's sub-par network speed.

By the way, in 802.11b/g, there are only 3 completely distinct channels; 1, 6, and 11. Anything else has an overlap with nearby channels.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak /forum/post/0

This has already been discussed in other threads (see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=829111 ), and while interference from other wireless devices on the same channel is indeed a problem, it's not solely to blame for the Wii's sub-par network speed.

By the way, in 802.11b/g, there are only 3 completely distinct channels; 1, 6, and 11. Anything else has an overlap with nearby channels.

Yeah, I know. See who posted right beneath you in that thread?

In that thread, however, the initial poster tried channels 1 and 11 and experienced no improvement. I switched to channel 10 and did. I thought folks might appreciate knowing that it did work for some people. I certainly wasn't making the case that the Wii had a fast wireless connection...but mine was unusably slow previously, and this simple change had a major and noticeable effect on the Wii's performance.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
When choosing the channel for my 802.11b/g router, I sat down with my laptop and asked it to scan for nearby wireless networks. For each network which was detected, I was able to observe the signal strength and channel. My goal was to pick the channel (out of 1, 6, and 11) which had the fewest competing networks and/or networks with the lowest signal strength in my home.

I believe I eventually wound up choosing "1" after doing this sampling several times and trying to weight appropriately based both on number and signal strength, but obviously this will be different for each individual's area.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hmmm, wonder if that might explain why it seems to take way too long for my Wii to connect to my wireless network; what I mean is that when I attempt to do something that requires a connection to the network/Internet (e.g., Mii/Internet channels, Address Book), my Wii seems to either "hang" for a few minutes before eventually bringing up the application I wanted to go to, or give me a message stating that Internet connections is not available at the moment and that I should try again later (or something like that--"later", in my case turns out to be a few minutes or so). The funny thing is that when I first got my Wii, it didn't take nearly as long to connect to my wireless network--and onto the Internet--like it does now. Very annoying when I go into the Address Book shortly after my Wii is on to add some Miis...only to have it spit out a message telling me that the Address Book is temporarily unavailable (or something like that--I can't recall the exact message).

FWIW--once my Wii is eventually connected to my wifi, any and all Internet-related Wii functions seem to go smoothly (i.e., no delays in opening Internet-related Wii apps, nor sluggish download speeds). And FWIW #2--everything that needs to connect to my wifi (Netgear 802.11 b/g router) network is set to channel 11.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I used this tip back in December and it improved my connection speed considerably. I think Nintendo would be well-served to actually send out a Wii-mail (yeah, I know) detailing this advice.

·
Registered
622 Posts
This improved my wifi really well, i ran speed test from testmy.net, and at default it was getting 0.9 mb/sec download then after i changed it to 10 it gave me 2.3 mb/sec download, then i put it at 11 and it gave me 3.2 mb/sec download, a lot faster NOW!! WOHOO when im playing super mario strikers online its pretty fast!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slordak /forum/post/0

Yes. Please for the love on unregulated radio spectrum please configure your access point to only use one of those three channels. Don't degrade the speed and coverage areas of your neighbors by using a channel the overlaps their frequency.

·
Registered
355 Posts
i have the belkin pre-n wireless router and i have never noticed a slow down of transfer but then again i live in a lake/country atmosphere

·
Registered
196 Posts
you could just be a jerk and get some Mil speck antennas and amplifiers. That way only you can get wireless access in the area. and be get some ungodly range while you're at it lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts