AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started the thread" Dropout problem...DirecTV or Sony" Now I get home today at 4:40PM DST, turn on my tv and see a frozen HSN network. It froze at 7AM. I could not start it or turn it off. The power button did not work. I unplugged the unit, waited 5 minutes and the unit started up again, BUT Channels 509 and 199 were missing(All of the HD programming. I called DirecTV and spoke to Nasha-badge#2256. She had me do the usual: take the card out, insert it, turn the unit off, etc. When I turned the unit back on I got the message "not a valid access card". She then sent a "reprogram download" and everything came back. Anyone have any clues ? Everyone on the other thread, please reply. I'm also posting this to the other thread.

·
Registered
739 Posts
RZ,

I have had my HD-100 for about two weeks now. Just finally found the "sweet

spot" for my RS Bowtie indoor and OTA. Last place I tried and always went back to was just on top of my XBR of all places. Last night, after trying a Silver Sensor, I went back to the Bowtie (better) and found a new better better Sweet Spot, just on the floor in front of the XBR cabinet. I have been resisting an outdoor antenna.

In any event, I am basically happy with the HD-100 after using another SONY for the past four years. I have not connected to Directv yet and will when my son can help me change the dish.

The fan noise does not bother me too much except when you go into the room with the audio off. Then you can hear it. I think once I put it in place (inside the cabinet) of the old SONY, the noise will be less noticeable.

However, I have had two incidents now where the HD-100 "locked up" on me. I had to pull the plug and "reboot" and reset the clock. I am hoping that when I do get it connected to the dish, I will have some software upgrades waiting for me. My old ReplayTV does this once in awhile as well. SO the OS of the SONY appears it will periodically give me the famous equivalent Windows Blue Screen (without the Blue Screen).

I am keeping the SONY despite this as I have been buying their products since 1960. I must watch for loss of Directv channels when I hook up as I will not tolerate that however.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Babula (edited 04-05-2001).]

·
Registered
972 Posts
Wow, since 1960! I like Sony too. Almost my entire setup is Sony except for the QuadScan and NEC plasma. Sony DVD, receiver, LD, VCR, projector, DSS, PS2, two other Sony TVs, etc.

So what was your first Sony purchase??

Bryan

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got off the phone with Sony. NEW event# E11722166/spoke to Bill #COPL and level 2 tech, Yahaina #V1W. They do not have a clue !! And when I asked about swapping out my unit for a new one she said: On this unit Sony will NOT swap it out ! You must send it in for warranty repair to: Sony Service Center, 390 Unniversity Ave., Westwood, MA 02090. Turn around time "at least 2 weeks". If anyone has any suggestions let me know. I told them this forum is posting all of this and they seem to be reading the posts here.

·
Registered
739 Posts
A "reel to reel" tape unit. Did you ever hear of the "Superscope" label by SONY? It was a "portable" (yeah Right!), tubes (of course) but when I played a "Binaural" tape, it was heavenly.

I still have it in my "junk" storage area. I just did the 36XBR400, 444 receiver, 9000ES DVD and now the HD-100.

Hang on with the SONY, because they will resolve it sooner or later. I have been reading a lot on DT and HDTV for the past six months and conclude that DT is not yet "robust" enough on the transmit side. This will get better as soon as the "programming" becomes more available. Also,

receivers will also get better. I just hope for the near term that software can handle improvements by changing the receive capability. I feel most good design engineers handled the RF sections of the receivers ok, as there is not anything really new you can do to receiving a 600 mHz RF signal well. Handling the Digital Stream at the transmitter and receiver is another thing.

Bill

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had the samer problem at around 4:45p. came home, the mits was frozen, had a blackpicture. tech support suggested a hard reset (unplug,etc.) then they sent down a download and everything came back.

i did notice, however,that now the ota logos appear in the guide.

i hope this is not a regular thing

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a similar problem with the HD100 a while back, and it has not happened since. I ended up leaving everything unplugged (power, sat in, card, phone) for over an hour and then plugging it all back in. I then received the "Invalid Access Card" message. A DirectTV rep was able to fix the problem over the phone by resetting something. They said the card and receiver were not "matched".

When the problem first occured, a Sony rep advised me to unplug it all, wait 2 minutes, and then plug it all in again. Apparently 2 minutes isn't enough time to have the unit reset itself.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Babula:
id you ever hear of the "Superscope" label by SONY? It was a "portable" (yeah Right!), tubes (of course) but when I played a "Binaural" tape, it was heavenly.
Bill, when SONY decided to export tape recorders in the mid 60s, they did it through an exclusive arrangement with a separate importer, Superscope, in Simi Valley, CA. Later on, when it became evident there was an enthusiastic market for their recorders, SONY took over the job with their own U.S. organization in New Jersey. I remember there was quite a row with Superscope over contract cancellation issues.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Ray,

Thanks for that info. Did not know that!

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.