AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sounds like a hardware issue to me, so please don't bite my head off if I'm wrong - just kindly point me to the correct forum...

I purchased a HD display (Hitachi cmp4201U 42") for my mom. She recieved the display, and we set it up without issue - it looks amazing.

My problem is that my mom is hard of hearing. She relies almost 100% on closed captioning. Currently, she is viewing an SD signal that goes from her cable companies' box, to a vcr, then into the display (I know how crappy that is, but she is planning on upgrading to their HD programming soon).

Neither the cable box nor the VCR have CC capabilities, and of course the display doesn't.

Does anyone know a way to obtain CC in this type of configuration!? Since the display is in perfect working condition, the re-seller will not take it back - the lack of CC is our problem.

If you have ANY information or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate hearing it/them.

Thanks!

Tom

· Registered
1,390 Posts
That's a commercial display and does not support closed captioning. The Hitachi 42HDT20 is the residential version which supports closed captioning.

Your solution to this will be an external closed caption decoder. You need to add a device between the cable box & VCR that decodes closed captions. This could be done with a digital over-the-air tuner, a satellite HD tuner w/other-the-air capability, or a device dedicated to just decoding closed captions.

... or finding someone sympathetic to your situation at the store, perhaps higher up the food chain, who will let you return this unit and buy the residential version.

If you bought the unit knowing it was a commercial unit, and did so because the price is cheaper, you might not have a lot of luck, but if the store sold you this unit knowing you weren't using it in a commercial environment, then you might have more leverage. Here's an excerpt from the FCC order requiring closed caption decoders in equipment: http://commstudies.gallaudet.edu/com485/dtvdecoders.htm

· Registered
1,279 Posts
You might want to take your hard of hearing mother with you to the store. Make sure that her handicap becomes quite apparent. In fact, you might even find it necessary to shout to her in the hearing of other customers that the store is not cooperating.

Does your local newspaper have an "Action Line" or other such consumer complaint column? A subtle threat to report their possible refusal to trade might work wonders.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I truly appreciate the excellent information everyone has provided.

I *was* aware that the display did not have a tuner before I purchased it. I was told be our local cable provider that their cable box provided CC, but upon further inspection what that meant was "the box doesn't *block* the CC signal - nor does it perform any character generation".

I ended up purchasing a device called the TV Guardian that acts as both a CC decoder and a parental filter (it turns CC works like s**t into crud! ;-) - of course you can turn the filter off.

The unit sits between the cable box and the plasma.

If anyone is in need of a similiar device you can find it at:
http://www.tvguardian.com/

Thanks again!

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.