AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm doing some woodwork today and nothing I am cutting or using is square. My measurments are perfect, my cuts are perfect too, but yet my square shows to be off by almost an eighth inch, 24inchs from the corner. And that's when I notice, a hair line crack at the 90 in the square.
Luckily I've been trusting pythagorean theorem instead.

Side note, I'm doing this entire build with a jig saw and router. I wish I had a nice table saw.

·
Registered
283 Posts
That happened with about 4 of my builds. =( But the last two builds I've used my uncle's table saw with the assistance (I was more of the assistant) of my cousin, and everything's come out fairly well using it. I'd check your local craigslist (if you're in the US.) I hear they have table saws for sale because people don't use them too much anymore.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Circular saw with proper blade plus wooden guide,

better than a jig saw and not expensive like a table saw

to make nice long cuts.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thylantyr /forum/post/14208058

Circular saw with proper blade plus wooden guide,

better than a jig saw and not expensive like a table saw

to make nice long cuts.

This I know, but most of our tools were stolen a year or so ago, which is why I haven't built anything. I was desperate so I borrowed my dads crappy jig saw. It's a lot of work cutting with a jig saw that wont cut strait even with a strait edge (the thing that holds the blade is tweeked), then going back over with a strait edge and a flush trim bit. But it's working

When it's time to build my mains, I am either going to find someone with a nice table saw and see if I can use it, or I am buying a circular saw!

*edit* rain delay is over, time to get back out there.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
This is the ultimate speaker building tool... if you don't owe a good table saw.

From Festool.

·
Registered
438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaris /forum/post/14208978

This is the ultimate speaker building tool... if you don't owe a good table saw.

From Festool.

This beats the table saw for long cuts, hands down... table saw ain't that great IMO anyway, very little you can do on the table as far as subwoofers go. I've got one, and IMO a good worm drive skillsaw with a roofing bat is hard to beat for ripping

A track circular like that is my eventual dream. That and a nice lathe and a giant scroll saw too....

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexE /forum/post/14210225

This beats the table saw for long cuts, hands down... table saw ain't that great IMO anyway, very little you can do on the table as far as subwoofers go. I've got one, and IMO a good worm drive skillsaw with a roofing bat is hard to beat for ripping

I disagree. The table saw we had in shop class had a 3ft fence, so 6ft in length total. Just set the edge for a certain length (which it had the ruler built in, twist the handle and it's locked), cut all the boards, set it again, cut, set, cut, done. It would have worked great today since I made a ton of 18.125" cuts, 19.625" cuts, and 23.5 cuts. Then one 25" cut.

I'm in the middle of measuring and cutting my 3-axis bracing, including a motor brace, but rain is delaying me, otherwise i'd be glueing. Next time, I'm going to see if my old HS will let me use their table saw, otherwise I'm getting a circular saw.

Side Note: The SDX-15 is not 8 13/16" inches from back of motor to mounting surface, both of mine are roughly 9 1/8". I'm glad I measured before cutting because their spec sheet would have killed me.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Although I wish I had the festool rail saw for large panels.. I would never give up my General 350.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaris /forum/post/14211012

Although I wish I had the festool rail saw for large panels.. I would never give up my General 350.

Ohh, now that's something I could use. It's a tad smaller than the one in our shop class, but would work awesome! Just setup a catch table at the end and you can cut anything.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Kanaris - You know what's up. The TS55 or TS75 is definitely on my short list. A guy I work with just had his rail bent by a garage door ...

There are forums just for "Festooligans."

I have access to a Holz-Her 1265 vertical panel saw at my friend's cabinet shop. You would have to try real hard to get an out of square panel.

Not the quite the Home Depot plywood ripper - check out the video.
http://www.holzher.com/pdf/HH_Vertical_Panel_Saw.wmv

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Most people here will spend $17k - $20k for that panel saw

The Uncle 'fester' tools seem to have a cult following.

The reality is that user skill is still an important variable to consider.

Great tools in the hands of a lamer yields poor results too.

My table saw is a ~21 year old 'Ohio Forge' from Home Depot that cost $500,

abused like a cheap whore for years and almost put in it's grave later, rusty and old. Then I

decided to keep it and reburbished it; installed a new

fence, cleaned it up, made a rolling cabinet to install the

saw [minus legs], plus an integrated router table, good

saw blades and I can do any cuts on a 4x8 sheet of wood

with precision. /muah

1 - 12 of 12 Posts