AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been ripping the complete Blu Ray and as noted by others IT TAKES UP A LOT OF ROOM! So I decided to try the MKV route. My problem is when ripping a movie how do you know which is the main movie? Example This Means War has 2 main movies, I ripped both to see the difference one comes up a full 7 minutes and 1 gb larger than the other. I checked the time line on the disc and it matches the smaller main movie. Looking further into the original disc I see nothing for additional options ie alternate endings, added scenes etc. Whithout watching both movies why would there be a 7 minute addition to one of the files?

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Theatrical and Extended Editions?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I just compare the runtime to imdb and choose the one that is closest. Keep in mind that director's cuts, extended editions, or other versions of the film may be included and would have a different length.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I thought also, however when I watch the disc it does not have an option for any additional version thats what has me a bit confused. On another note is there a way to change the original rip to an MKV file without pulling out the disc again, it would be so easy just convert the ripped ones?

·
Registered
23,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPictureman  /t/1416835/makemkv-question#post_22154291

I have been ripping the complete Blu Ray and as noted by others IT TAKES UP A LOT OF ROOM! So I decided to try the MKV route. My problem is when ripping a movie how do you know which is the main movie? Example This Means War has 2 main movies, I ripped both to see the difference one comes up a full 7 minutes and 1 gb larger than the other. I checked the time line on the disc and it matches the smaller main movie. Looking further into the original disc I see nothing for additional options ie alternate endings, added scenes etc. Whithout watching both movies why would there be a 7 minute addition to one of the files?

I've heard that on rental discs sometimes they include all the features/titles from the retail version, but have the special feature options removed from the menus. I wouldn't have expected that to be an issue with purchased BDs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPictureman  /t/1416835/makemkv-question#post_22154977

That's what I thought also, however when I watch the disc it does not have an option for any additional version thats what has me a bit confused. On another note is there a way to change the original rip to an MKV file without pulling out the disc again, it would be so easy just convert the ripped ones?

You can just open up the ripped version in MakeMKV from hard disk.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can just open up the ripped version in MakeMKV from hard disk.[/quote]

I tried that however it just opens all of the folders, not the whole thing like on the dvd? I maybe missing something?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts