AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 3 brand new guns for a Barco 1209s. The projector that I had ordered has a high hour chassis and it is having some problems. I have not taken possession of the unit yet. Short of the mounting for the guns, how different is a Barco 1208s from a 1209s electronically. If I change the front panel on a 1208s, would I be able to just drop the guns into it? I probably have to change the EEPROM as well.

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Chris,

I am not really a Barco expert, just a happy owner of a 1208. I think it requires more than just tubes/lenses. First, there are different versions of both the 1208 and 1209. For example a 1208s and 1209s would have more in common probably than a 1208 and a 1209s. I would first suggest you look at this thread which discusses what you are looking to do:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...arco+1208+1209

I would also check out the spreadsheets that Barco provides on these models which list most of the major components, that should help you narrow down the differences:
http://www.barco.com/HomeCinema/en/d...CRTHistory.asp

Good luck!

Miles

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Contact Spatz, a member here, I think he can tell you exactly what to do. If the xx08 and xx09 models are the same series, I think there is very little difference in electronics. You need to talk to the owner of this site: http://www.spatz-tech.de/

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree!

A 1208, a 1208s and a 1208s/2 are three totally different PJs. Even though they share the same name!

Same applies for 1200, 1209, 1209/2, and 1209s...

As far as I have seen. The 1208s/2 and the 1209s have the same components except for the tubes and the lenses!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Well, I think it might depend on which exact models you are talking about. Other than the mechanical configuration, the first thing that might be a challenge is still finding three output amps that can be used with the BG1209s. Other than that, you're back to which models?

I believe the history is that the earlier BG1208s models used Sony tubes and the later version BG1208s used MEC tubes. The BG1209s uses MEC tubes. I think the late model BG1208s might be the best match for the electronics, still with the exception of the output amps themselves.

So, I took a look at the BG1209s service manual for the R9000972 and R9000977 (from Reiner's "beamer" site) and compared it to the BG1208s service manual for the R9002290 and R9002299 and did a quick comparison. These two models appear to share all the same boards with the exception of the output amps.

Another thing I noticed is that it looks like most of the neck components are the same between these two models except for the focus unit. Looks like the focus units are the same as those used in a BG808s though. Something I didn't know was that the green focus unit is a different part number than the red and blue on all these EM focus models... so I got to learn something here.

As far as the mechanical differences it looks like the frame/chassis and tube installation has some common parts, but would ultimately be incompatible. Looks like the clam-shell housing around the tubes is sized differently.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.