AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The difference in cost for HCCV material for a screen ~$200 vs the material with snaps/grommets ~ $300 vs the material mounted on a perm-wall frame ~$500 has me closely looking at my mounting options.

If I go with the material only, can this be glued to a backboard or perhaps stretched with double sided tape or velcro.

If I go with material with snaps or grommets, which would be easier to uniformly tension. I would think grommets, using black cord to tension around a DIY frame. It would seem a PITA to mount matching snaps and get it uniform and even.

Anybody have any experience going this route vs buying the perm-wall?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Keeping each others company on dueling threads I guess. Here's one option I 've been considering; The vinyl material can be glued (welded) with vinyl adhesive. (I tried this last night with one of my samples) This means we could fold it over on the outside edges to create a sleeve for tubing (1/2"or 3/4"electrical conduit for instance) and assemble a frame for it inside those sleeves.

A down and dirty might invlvolve folding and glueing a hem for additiona strength at the edges, then stapeling the material around a wood frame. I'm waiting for additional samples from da-lite and stewart and may even shlep my pj around to dalers with dif screen material in their demo rooms. On the other hand, at these reasonable prices I just may take a chance on something thats cheap and recomended. -Noam

·
Registered
625 Posts
Just ordered a DaLite HCCV replacement screen for 80x45 PermWall...Have the DaMat now

the frame assembles quick and the Screen is a Snap to put up (sorry couldn't helpmyself)

Was looking at Cut-To-Size Material with extra 4in all around $180

Then I needed to figure out how to add the Black Plastic border with Snaps

looks like they SEW a double stitch all around and insert the Snap headers

I was worried about SEWing, ripping the thin material, scratching or getting it dirty

Blake Brubaker told me to order Fabricate Assembly #90336 to fit my 80x45 frame...$290

Since the difference was only about $100 and would be a Professional Screen (has ReSale Value) I went 4it

But if U are into DIY I don't think building a Frame out of Painted 1x2 or 2x2 would be all that hard

Measure Snap intervals and install Snap Bases and UR there....(mine are 7in/oc)

I have the Infocus LP350 myself....about the same Lumens 1300 as ur Pan75u

At nite under Complete Light Control (Dark Room) it looks Great with the DaMat 1.1 white screen

But it's my LR and in the Summer the Sun going down 6-8pm can wash out the PQ

So I wanted to try the GRAY screen to control the Ambient Light....Maybe improve my CR a little

All in All, the DaLite is a Nice Cost Effective Solution to a Professional LooK

Good Luck with ur Project

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.