AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased an InFocus X1 today, and I'd like to get a screen for it tomorrow. I live in a small town without a Lowes or Home Depot, but we do have several similar places. I'm mainly interested in something short term, just some kind of 4x8 board I can hang on the wall till I figure out a better solution. What kind of materials should I be looking for?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got back from Home Depot with a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" "hardboard". It's sort of like a very fine-grained particle board, dark brown, with one smooth side and one rough side. I figure one coat of Kilz and one coat of Behr "Silver Screen" grey and I'll be good to go.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
KKlein,

I was about to use "Silver Screen" (with that name how could one go wrong?) as well, but used "Sterling" that looks about 3-5% lighter gray because I figured it'd be easier to go darker than lighter. Did you go with a flat latex? Watch out for those paints with sheen or gloss, the more the worse the roller marks. My roller technique leaves something to be desired because after putting about four coats of enamel acrylic and then eggshell I ended up again with roller marks and variable sheen even though I used a six inch short nap (1/4" foam) roller.

Tonight I got hold of an electric sander with the plan of getting ready for try number five, with the plan of moving to latex flat to hopefully get rid of the marks and sheen if my fifth try didn't work. After sanding to the point of almost getting rid of all stipple the screen is a nice flat gray without any roll marks or sheen! I'm staying with what I got.

Good luck. Going DIY is a challenge but fun and rewarding when it finally works out.

- Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
I definitely went with the flat latex. I picked "Silver Screen" after checking out the Glidden "Misty Evening" that others here were using. The ME had way too much of a blue hue IMO, so I went with the SS which is similar in shade but much more neutral. Since I'm going to be using an LCD PJ (the Sanyo Z1), I thought the darker grey would be a good thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.