AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to make a screen out of a sheet or something to test how 2.35:1 would look in my HT. The problem is that I suck with this kinda stuff, and I'm not sure how to calculate the dimensions.

I'd like the screen width to be 10 or 11 feet. Is there a screen calculator that could help with this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
if you want 10 feet of width, divide that by 2.35 to get the height.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm off to the local Menards, (like Home Depot) in the next couple days.

On the phone at least, they have drywall in stock in the new(ish) widths of 4.5 feet, and they even have them in 12 foot lengths.

That 54 inch height stretches to 126.9 inches more or less for 2.35 ratio screens...so, this would be stupid easy to buy, slap on some Behr "Brilliant White" paint, and fool around with to see what the optimal size is for your scalar-lens CIH project, and not be upset with distortion from chromatic aberrations or pincushinging or zooming so large you see the pixels.

I'll be doing this to get an idea what I want before I invest in the fabric for an AT screen and build the frame for that.

Theoretically, I'm aware this is only 10 1/2 feet, but its so darn cheap and guaranteed flat, easy to paint and mount... even bend into a gradual curve, its hard not to pick this to be the size if the width of the room can accomodate it.

(Actually, the 4.5 foot width is a gd-send to me since the basement does have 9+ foot ceilings, two will leave me with just one horizontal seam... way less work eventually for the mudding etc....)

Alex

·
Registered
7,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBen /forum/post/14305553

I'm off to the local Menards, (like Home Depot) in the next couple days.

On the phone at least, they have drywall in stock in the new(ish) widths of 4.5 feet, and they even have them in 12 foot lengths.

That 54 inch height stretches to 126.9 inches more or less for 2.35 ratio screens...so, this would be stupid easy to buy, slap on some Behr "Brilliant White" paint, and fool around with to see what the optimal size is for your scalar-lens CIH project, and not be upset with distortion from chromatic aberrations or pincushinging or zooming so large you see the pixels.

I'll be doing this to get an idea what I want before I invest in the fabric for an AT screen and build the frame for that.

Good idea for a test screen if your wall is finished, for my in progress HT I just used actual drywall painted in primer, looked so good tempted to just go with that, but actually making my own DIY screen.

By the way, here in Michigan Menard's is in Lansing and west side of state - none east of Lansing, I'm in Howell and will drive the 50 minutes when I want really neat stuff, Menard's is a tier above HD/Lowes, and beats their prices. Ha, my parents live in Warren and will go all the way to Menards in Lansing just for their selection of stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts