AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a pair of B&W N805 speakers for reasonably discounted price due to it being discontinued but could not afford the $600 speaker stands made specifically for them. I have a pair of regular B&W speaker stands and they are the basically steel I-shaped stands with double rectangular central beams able to be filled with sand. (I have not filled them with sand/lead/stuff)

The stand has 4 speaker mounting holes on the top. The N805 has 2 large holes that obviously do not match up.

I was thinking of making an adapter that has the ability to bolt the N805 to it, and bolt itself to the speaker stand.

If I use solid aircraft grade aluminum (.75 inch thick) will I suffer any type of resonance problem against the steel stand? Should I just stick with Maple hardwood? Or plywood?

The adapter will have the surface profile of the N805 base plate and the edge will quickly taper in to disappear into the stand's top plate.

My friend at work has a CNC machine so as long as the material isnt harder than carbon steel, it can be machined to any design.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
That will be fine for your speakers, I just switched from floorstanding speakers to bookshelves (because the bass was a bit muddy but the bookshelf speakers sound tighter) and I was looking for speaker stands on the internet and the prices are crazy. So what I ended up doing is take some 1/8 pine I had in my base ment and took the exact measurements on the site I saw them on and made my own and they sound great, so what ever works for you go for it and make the adapter for your stands and enjoy your project. Lou :cool: :cool:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.