Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Today, i have a chance to pay cash $2100 TOTAL for a NEW LT150 in hand - pick it up today. I've never seen the unit (or any) in use for HT, and was on the verge of paying about 3k for a Toshiba 65H80.

I can do the Dell deal for a different new one for $2318.

I expect to get paperwork and just "be" the original owner if I need warranty service - how hard can that be?

With a 3 year warranty, is it worth me putting on Amex for an extra year? Don't think i'll be using it in more than 2-3 years.

I have a HTPC with no DVD at the moment, so I can buy whatever cheap drive works. I already have an AccessDTV card. I was planning to pick up OTA signals MAINLY as well as watch DVDs in progressive scan mode. With the Toshiba, I was going to have to buy a transcoder to integrate windows desktop, etc. but then i wasn't going to be happy with only a 640x480 screen.

In addition, I'd like to integrate a new DirectTV system to get HBO, Showtime & HDNet signals.

Since i want to timshift everything except DVD, I think these signals are going to come into the Digital input on the ADTV card - i believe the lady at DC told me to buy some multiplexer thingy to combine the DirectTV signal with the OTA coax. To me, that means that I only have one connection going to my LT150 - and its the HTPC.

Even after weeks, I'm still unable to describe/remember the difference between all the 480/720/i/p stuff - no need to describe it here, I have the material... its just that without having my hands on it, it goes in one ear and out the other.

As a newbie, my requirements are VERY SIMPLE... and please tell me IF the LT150 WILL NOT do what I want:

(keep in mind, a HTPC, i can pick any sound/video/dvd)

1) watch OTA shows in HD wide mode

2) watch DVDs on the big screen in the best mode (anamorphic, blah blah blah, whatever)

3) watch DirecTV HD signals

My current monitor is a 50" hitachi in perfect condition, purchased in 1994.

If I've overlooked a requirement out of newbie-ness, then please explain.

Buying today,

thanks,

Jaymer...

PS - i've read ALL there is to read on the LT150 - and its overwhelming. I'll be making my own breakout cable, dont know what other stuff (scaler, iscan, etc.) I'll have to buy for a particular need. I'm not worried about anomalies of viewing (like only 10%, per Huey, get rainbows - not worried about that) - am worried with a statement like "Jaymer, in order to do X, you'll have to spend another $500 for a whatchamathingie"

PPS - all that to say that I know what other owners say about the LT150, and i know its a great picture, but some have Dish, or no HTPC - so i wanted to ask the experts on MY setup and make sure it will work.

thanks again!

PS _ here's the Nostradamus quote that was just mailed to me:
Quote:
"In the year of the new century and nine months,

From the sky will come a great King of Terror...

The sky will burn at forty-five degrees.

Fire approaches the great new city..."

"In the city of york there will be a great collapse,

2 twin brothers torn apart by chaos

while the fortress falls the great leader will succumb

third big war will begin when the big city is burning"

- NOSTRADAMUS

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
I'd have to re-iterate what Huey said - the replacement bulb is a little too expensive for watching TV all the time. I use mine for just DVDs. I must say the picture is just breathtaking...especially if this is your first projector.

For watching DVDs using your HTPC, you will not have to incur additional costs. However, I can't speak from experience when it comes to HDTV.

I think the LT-150 is probably the best first-time projector one could buy. And, as evidenced in this forum, it is also an outstanding projector for experienced pjr owners!

------------------

Thanks!

Cory

WinME

ASUS A7V133

AMD TBIRD 1.33GHz-C T-Bird

512Mb PC-133 RAM

ATI Radeon LE

M-Audio AP2496

WinDVD 2.8/2.3 hybrid

DVD Genie 4.05

·
Registered
274 Posts
Jaymer,

I wish I had my LT150 set up so that I could show you the level of detail. It is truly one of the most satisfying purchases I have made. This is in fact my second projector (first being an Epson LCD unit) and I can honestly say that the DLP is night and day better.

As for HDTV I can not help you, I have watched DVDs and broadcast TV but do not have a HDTV setup. If your alternative was getting an HDTV projection TV then I can almost assure you the quality level will be much better. When I look at what I have compared to the units at Sound Advice it makes me realize what an advantage HTPCs solutions are.

You may have difficulties in getting your DirectTV HDTV to work with you ADTV card but OTA reception will be fine. The only satelite HDTV solution I know of working with these PC cards is the Dish 5000/Modulator combo, of course you could always input the signal as SVHS but this defeats the purpose.

Good luck, let me know what you end up doing,

David.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you have a progressive scan dvd player, and a DTC100 stb combined with a Da-Lite HIpower screen you will be amazed at the quality, the HDTV is superb.

Badgerfan

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi,

thx for replies so far .... keep em coming.

1) huey & badger - my setup doesnt have anything to do with a STB, or Prog Scan stand alone DVD player. Huey, i know you have considerable knowledge, but your reply is more confusing than it is beneficial... all those terms - hey, read my post. I didn't mention DISH. I didn't mention a STB. This is strictly a HTPC setup with 3 types of inputs - OTA via AccesDTV, DirecTV, DVD Rom Drive in the HTPC. But thx, i'll check for the limitations of ADTV card.

2) anyone have a link stating how/why i'd have diff. connecting the ADTV card to a DirecTV receiver.

3) David - it looks like i'm going to get Nick's machine - even though we all cant get together this weekend. Perhaps next weekend i'll have something up and running here and we can try for a meet to check HD OTA. Time Warner will have HBO/Showtime HD available by the end of the year for us, so I could wait for that and skip the DirecTV, but then I wouldn't be able to get the new HDNET, and it seems like its worth trying to get it.

4) any other TAMPA lurkers out there?

thx,

jaymer...

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Access TV has its own limitations--check HTPC forum here at AVS. RCA DTC100 or Dish 6000 receiver will work with LT150 via VGA input so you'll be able to watch HD OTA and per satellite. This will cost you $300-500. You'll need VGA switchers to do this or els you'll have to do it manually. This will set you back $100-$200. LT150 has poor Svideo and composite so if you watch any source by these inputs you'll need scaler/deinterlacer which can set you back $500-$1000. If you run HDTV through AccessTV, get video input card (WinTV or similar) for Svideo or composite, run Dscaler (free download) you'll be happy with picture. Bottom line, LT150 excels at VGA and progressive inputs, but mediocre at Svideo and Composite. Thus, if you do a lot of non-progressive sources you'd be better off with Infocus or Sony as they have better deinterlacer/scaler built-in.

I personally will only use LT150 for DVD via HTPC as $500 bulb for 1000h is too much for TV watching. For this it's perfect (for below 4K class). I'll be watching TV on my RPTV (you have one too I see). HDTV when it's more popular will require more money investment (HDTV receiver via satellite and OTA and good VGA switchers--$600 investment total). I also have the Sony VPL-CX1 (XGA LCD) which is better at Svideo and composite but is inferior on VGA compared to LT150. Infocus units is similar to Sony except VGA is probably slightly better (but still less than LT150). You'll have to prioritize and decide to buy LT150 or not. As far as buying via cash or by Amex, I'd go with Amex even if it'll cost a little more due to inherent risk with cash purchases. Plus, warranty will always be best if you buy from NEC approved vendor.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
264 Posts
Jaymer, Sorry I can't help you much with the projector choice, I'm still trying to decide myself.

What I can set straight for you is that the quote from Nostradamus is completely false. Its been put together using lines from several of his Quatrains. He did write most of that just not in a continuous quote like its presented in the email that going around.

------------------

Matt
Our Home Theater

[This message has been edited by Minman (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'd buy the $2100 one. I had to replace a LT150 (less than 1 month old) and it was delivered the next day. Sure I had to put up my credit card in case I kept the old one, but I've never had such good service for ANY product. (There was a slight fan noise that suddenly appeared, something loose somewhere). I think you'd be happy with the LT150. Besides, if you REALLY didn't like it, you could easily sell it for say $2000. If you got the "new" one, you'd be out a bit more money if you sold it. Think of it as a "pre-owned car" with a great warrenty. If the NEC warrenty card is in place in the manual, you should be in great shape.

-=-

Mark

------------------

JVC G1000 DILA

Stewart Greyhawk

Sony: SAT-B3, DTC-100,STR-DA777ES Receiver

Toshiba: SD-3109 DVD

Proscan 27" TV

B&W: DM601, CC6, DS6B, 800ASW speakers

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have used, or am currently using, all of these with success with the LT150:

[*] Hughest DirecTV HDTV receiver at 1080I (YPrPb)[*] Toshiba 480P DVD player direct (YPrPb)[*] Toshiba, Tivo, VHS via an iScan Pro at 480P (YPrPb)[*] HTPC at 1024x768 (RGB)

The HDTV and the HTPC provided the best image quality, but the 480P from the iScan and direct DVD player were also acceptable, albeit with some scaling artifacts.

I'm using a standard 4:3 screen. All image aspect ratios are handled with aplomb http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.