AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright folks, I bought my first projector and am toying around with screen sizes. However, I'm not sure whether I should go with spandex or blackout cloth for my screen. I have a $30 Amazon gift card so the screen material would only cost me $9 from Carls place. But I'm not sure which gives the superior picture. Any thoughts would be great. I have brownish painted walls and ceiling and total control of light. I'm using the Benq 1080ST. Thanks!

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you need acoustic transparency so that you can have your speakers behind the screen, go with spandex but you will need two layers, typically white over silver. If you want the best picture use Carl's flexi white instead of blackout cloth.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahajr143  /t/1524442/making-my-diy-screen-spandex-or-blackout-cloth#post_24535944

If you need acoustic transparency so that you can have your speakers behind the screen, go with spandex but you will need two layers, typically white over silver. If you want the best picture use Carl's flexi white instead of blackout cloth.

Yeah, I'm not making a AT screen. The speakers will be on the outside. My question was based purely on picture quality. I see the flexiwhite is $30 more than the blackout cloth. Is this material really worth the extra $30. What advantage does the flexiwhite have over the blackout cloth? Thanks!

·
Registered
326 Posts
The Flexiwhite has a gain of 1.1-1.2 where the blackout cloth has a gain of only about 0.9-1.0 so you will have a brighter picture with the flexiwhite, which is especially important if you want to do 3D. Also, the flexiwhite hass a little stretch to it so it is much easier to wrap around a frame and install wrinkle free. Speaking of wrinkle free, whichever you buy ask to have it shipped on a roll rather than folded. It will cost you an extra $10 but it is well worth it. Finally, the flexiwhite has a very smooth weave which makes it an excellent canvas for an advanced paint mix to enhance contrast and improve ambient light performance and gain. Search the threads for the flexiwhite screen that Mississippi Man painted if you want to see an example.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahajr143  /t/1524442/making-my-diy-screen-spandex-or-blackout-cloth#post_24536472

The Flexiwhite has a gain of 1.1-1.2 where the blackout cloth has a gain of only about 0.9-1.0 so you will have a brighter picture with the flexiwhite, which is especially important if you want to do 3D. Also, the flexiwhite hass a little stretch to it so it is much easier to wrap around a frame and install wrinkle free. Speaking of wrinkle free, whichever you buy ask to have it shipped on a roll rather than folded. It will cost you an extra $10 but it is well worth it. Finally, the flexiwhite has a very smooth weave which makes it an excellent canvas for an advanced paint mix to enhance contrast and improve ambient light performance and gain. Search the threads for the flexiwhite screen that Mississippi Man painted if you want to see an example.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I'm going to be using the Benq 1080ST projector. Since it's a short throw the projector will only be about 5.5 feet away from the screen. I figure this would offset the lower gain of the blackout cloth so I went with that. I'm getting it for $49 shipped in a rolled tube like you mentioned. I figure I can save the $50 and put it towards cables. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts