AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Hew Year,

I'm setting up a new HT system. When I added my son's PS2 to a new Onkyo 706 AV receiver via the attached composite cable, the picture really looked really crummy on my Samsung A650 LCD. The only other connection option is an optical out, which I assume is for audio.

Advice? Best options for setup? Should a PS2 look crisp on my TV?

Thanks in advance.

-- Rob

P.S. I know the best solution to my problem would be a PS3, but this is not happening today!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Im not sure but only certain games on Ps2 have a 720 resolution at most. If I rember correctly GOW has a 720 res but u have to use in game settings to push the 720 and u need component cables .

·
Registered
410 Posts
the optical is for digital sound. hook it into your receiver to get dolby prologic out of ps2 games that offer it & i think it may pass DD5.1 on dvds as well.

best bet for picture quality is to buy a ps2 component cable. available in stores or online at monoprice. the picture will be alot better than with the composites.

·
Registered
574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrinker2 /forum/post/15422608

Happy Hew Year,

I'm setting up a new HT system. When I added my son's PS2 to a new Onkyo 706 AV receiver via the attached composite cable, the picture really looked really crummy on my Samsung A650 LCD. The only other connection option is an optical out, which I assume is for audio.

Thanks in advance.

-- Rob

P.S. I know the best solution to my problem would be a PS3, but this is not happening today!

a ps3 should fix your problem

but seriously the only thing i can think is to get a component cable for your ps2. but not sure how much crsisper you can get it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all who have replied so quickly. I didn't realize there is a component cable available for PS2. I appreciate the help.

-- Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymunky123 /forum/post/15422833

i noticed a considerable difference in picture quality when switching up to component (especially in newer games like god of war 2 & resident evil 4 that offered progressive scan).

·
Registered
410 Posts
i think thats dependant on the brand quality & specs of the tv & other varying factors. i've heard plasma has blacker blacks, but also runs the small risk of burn in with static images. i'm very happy with the picture quality of my sony xbr3 lcd display for gaming purposes, but there are many who people love their plasmas. its all a matter of what you like.

·
Registered
788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman_begins /forum/post/15424749

sorry for the noob question, but sometimes, like for the ps2, i think that plasma is better for it than LCD. am i wrong on this or maybe i'm just not properly adjusting my ps2 settings? thanks.

My general understanding is that Plasmas handle SD better than LCD. Although that is just a general rule and probably varies depending on the exact set.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Burn-in isn't really a problem anymore with plasma displays. For older plasmas, yes, it is a very big concern, but not for newer tvs. Still, I wouldn't let a static image stay on the screen for longer than it needs to.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrinker2 /forum/post/15422608

Happy Hew Year,

Thanks in advance.

-- Rob

Here's what you need at a really good price, I think I will be getting one of these as well.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
I wouldn't have high expectations, though the component cables will help.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Don't ever ever every use composite if you can help it. Fortunately with the PS2, you can use component cables and connect it to your onkyo. I have the onkyo 606 and that's what I've done...makes a huge difference. Furthermore, the onkyo will upconvert the input to make it just a tweak better. I bought my component video adapter on ebay for $5. Just go to ebay and do a search for "ps2 component cable".

·
Registered
115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery_79 /forum/post/15430047

Don't ever ever every use composite if you can help it. Fortunately with the PS2, you can use component cables and connect it to your onkyo. I have the onkyo 606 and that's what I've done...makes a huge difference. Furthermore, the onkyo will upconvert the input to make it just a tweak better. I bought my component video adapter on ebay for $5. Just go to ebay and do a search for "ps2 component cable".

Maybe you should buy with confidence and get a new the cable from Monoprice.com

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.