AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the 3-in-1 tool from Parts Express and would like to start making some cables but neither the tool nor the connectors came with any instructions. I think at a minimum I need to know what lenght to make the dielctric and the center conductor.

I tried twice already but the connectors just pull right off.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I gave up.

For some reason the RCA connectors don't crimp on worth a squat. The F connectors works great so I've resorted to only using this tool for those type of connections.

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
the secret is to fold the braid back over the outer jacket....

then the crimp hold great and makes good contact.....

as for the length of the center conductor.... you need to experiment... you will probably waste a couple of connectors.... make the connection and then check the conductivitt with a meter.....

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got mine to work although I did burn through about 6-8 connectors before I figured it out. Remember how hard you have to jam the damn coax into the f-connectors? Well, you have to do the same thing to the RCA cables. I found it helps a lot to take the screw-in part that goes in the crimper and put it on the end of the RCA connector when you are holding it in your hand trying to jam the coax into the connector. You want to strip down to the conductor about 1/4" - 5/16", and the jacket gets stripped the same amount (assuming you are using the stripper tool from PartsExpress too - man does that thing work!). It doesn't hurt to then *carefully* use a razor blade to strip off an additional 1/8" of jacket on the cable to make it easier to jam into the connector. I seem to remember that folding the braid back didn't seem to help much, though you would think that it should. Its also pretty important to be using the right connector (e.g. the Quad connectors for quad shield, and regular RG-6 connectors for something like Belden 1694.) My last comment - yeah those directions &$*@ sucked - cost me about 15 bucks worth of wasted connectors.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yep, and I bought one. It doesn't help with RCA connectors, unfortunately, but it does make the f connectors a BIT easier (on a scale of one to ten, its still a *****!)

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
i'm not sure what you guys are complaining about with this compression crimp tool and connectors.....

i had no problem at all once i figured out how long to cut the center conductor....

the tool works great!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Compressing RCA connectors like the Snap and Seal fittings PE sells should be done similair to installing coaxial F-connectors. Strip the outer dielectric a 1/2" off, then the inner insulation 1/4". Like tubeguy said, get the sheilding right, do not let it touch the stinger and push the fitting on tightly. The SnS (Snap and Seal) crimper works best.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally posted by hometheaterguy
Compressing RCA connectors like the Snap and Seal fittings PE sells should be done similair to installing coaxial F-connectors. Strip the outer dielectric a 1/2" off, then the inner insulation 1/4". Like tubeguy said, get the sheilding right, do not let it touch the stinger and push the fitting on tightly. The SnS (Snap and Seal) crimper works best.
I believe I made one correctly last night - thanks for the help. What is the "stinger"?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Glad it worked out well. The stinger (a cable guy term) is the center conductir, the solid core, not the outter braided shield wire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.